• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Questions about "sick period"

El Guapo

Reaction score
OK. I just received my box of PSD4 (May 09'). My questions are, how long do I have until the hit their "sick period"? How long after that until they come out of it? I am assuming that the "sick period" is different between brands, but I also have a box of March 08' RASS and would like to know the same about those as well. Of course letting them sit for 3-5 years is ideal, but let’s be honest, I do not have the resources to be able to stock up on 5-10 boxes to let them age; I want them now! :p I am sure I will hang onto a 5er of each for a few years, but I want to make sure that if they start tasting "off", that I know that they are just in their "sick period" and not just chalk them up to a bad box. Any insight on this would be very helpful. Thanks.

Do a search on sick period and all your questions will be answered. I promise :(

Do a search on sick period and all your questions will be answered. I promise :(

Great! Thank you. I guess I should have done that first. I sorry :( I am at work and am not suposed to be on here, so I just typed somthing up right quick. gg

Just holler, "Corpsman up!" and send all sick cigars to me. I'm am more than qualified and will administer the aid that they need.

Doc.

The RASS are smoking pretty dang good right now in my opinion. You should try one, if you don't feel it is ready put them away for a while.

He smoked from the RASS box already in his other thread see here

OK. I just received my box of PSD4 (May 09'). My questions are, how long do I have until the hit their "sick period"? How long after that until they come out of it? I am assuming that the "sick period" is different between brands, but I also have a box of March 08' RASS and would like to know the same about those as well. Of course letting them sit for 3-5 years is ideal, but let's be honest, I do not have the resources to be able to stock up on 5-10 boxes to let them age; I want them now!
tongue.gif
I am sure I will hang onto a 5er of each for a few years, but I want to make sure that if they start tasting "off", that I know that they are just in their "sick period" and not just chalk them up to a bad box. Any insight on this would be very helpful. Thanks.

Aside from 'searching' for your answer....you could always just smoke one right out of the box...keep smoking one a month until they reach the sick period...then keep it up until they are out...then you can tell us how long unitl they started getting sick, how long they were sick for...and how many months it took to go thru a box(hint....about 25 months ;) ).

Sick periods usually last for a week. Just make sure you help them douche before you try and take their cello off

I find that the sick period varies widely...even between different vitolas within the same marca, even from one box of the same cigars to the next (of different date).

Bottom line is, you just have to periodically try a stick from a sick box to see if they are coming out of it.

You actually touched on the topic I was going to ask about. I've smoked PSD4's from two different box codes over the past couple of days. One, which I was able to get the code from tonight was ABR 09...sticks were awesome. I smoked two from that box both equally as good. The other box was NOV 08. The stick I smoked was difficult to draw at first. It got better, but didn't share the same flavor as the 09. I picked up another box of 10 based on the experience I had with what appears to be a more recent batch. I'm new into the world of CC's...so I'm on a new learning curve. Thoughts...

Thanks,
Walt

I find that the sick period varies widely...even between different vitolas within the same marca, even from one box of the same cigars to the next (of different date).

Bottom line is, you just have to periodically try a stick from a sick box to see if they are coming out of it.
X2

This question always pops up with you new guys. As Anthony said...Search will give you previous posts to EDUCATE yourself about 'Sick period'. The Gipper gave you the most practical (and least sarcastic) advice....smoke one occasionally until the cigar appeals to you. My time frame is every 4-6 months or so, if I remember....I have a tendency to overlook them sometimes....which is the only time my forgetfulness works to my advantage.

I'm not totally sold on the concept of 'sick period'.....there are times where I think they're just a box of crappy cigars that are past their prime and won't ever get any better, no matter how long you wait.

Let your personal taste be your guide...not what anybody tells you is good or right.

Enjoy...