• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick and easy Hot Buttered Rum Mix

BlindedByScience

Proud Father of a Kearney, NE LEO
Saw this posted here a few years ago, we make a batch (or two) every year about this time.  It's simple as can be to make, and really tastes great:

1/2 gallon premium vanilla ice cream, softened.  Get something good....no bargain brands.
1 pound butter, softened (no margarine)
1 (1-pound) box powdered sugar
1 (1-pound) box dark brown sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

....put it all in a big bowl, and stir the holy heck out of it.  When the color is consistent and most of the lumps are gone, you're good.  Of course it needs to go in the fridge or freezer.

A couple big dollops of this in a coffee cup, a couple shots of rum (we use Bacardi Dark or Captain Morgan's Spiced), fill with almost boiling water, stir and enjoy.

Repeat as required....and, enjoy...!!!

Cheers - B.B.S.

That sounds good Tom. Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try this weekend!

I gotta laugh when I read Tom's version in comparison to Ray's. I spoke to Tom on Thanksgiving and he told me he had made this from Ray's recipe...and in trying to explain it's preparation, it was a bit difficult to follow to say the least (plus he was swigging bourbon since Tuesday).

Ray's version is 'chef friendly' by using terms & techniques consistent with any good cookbook or food website.

Tom's version is quite different...the only way he knows he's in the kitchen is because that's where the refrigerator is to find ice for his drink. 

EX; Ray...'In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt."

Tom...."put it all in a big bowl, and stir the holy heck out of it." 

Plus I can honestly say, I don't prepare too may recipes that call for 'a pound of this and a pound of that'...sounds a bit suspect!  :laugh:    

Laugh all you want, asshole....while the coarseness of my description and aggressiveness of technique may put off your gentle sensibilities....it's really damn good..... :p

In fairness to Ray, while I thought I'd got it from him, turns out I got it elsewhere on line.  Truth is now that he re-posted his recipe I'll give it a try.

Funny thing...I have yet to put a hot mug of this concoction in front of someone and have them spit it out.  Just saying...... ;)

Just means the water wasn't hot enough :p
BlindedByScience said:

Funny thing...I have yet to put a hot mug of this concoction in front of someone and have them spit it out.  Just saying...... ;)

Here, Gary....I fixed it for you:

How to prepare heavenly flavored luscious hot buttered rum mix….with sensitivity:

Put on your Gucci sport shirt, and carefully purchase the following ingredients:

• 384 teaspoons of lovingly prepared vanilla ice cream. Use a brand that was made only from cows that listened to early jazz while cycling their cud. Once purchased and gently transported to your kitchen, kindly allow it to gently warm until it’s at approximately room temperature, or 72.452187 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • 291.6667 penneyweight of farm fresh butter. You must drive to the farm yourself, and travel no fewer than 75 miles each way. Once in your kitchen, allow to warm and become gleefully softened.
  • 0.07142857 stone of confectioners powdered sugar. Unless purchased from a real confectioner, it will destroy the recipe and cause untold emotional hardship to those in the immediate area. Be warned.
  • 2267.962 carats of rich, earthy, dark brown sugar. Note that any attempt to use dark brown sugar with a molasses content of less than 6.5% (based on volume, you simpleton) will cause unwanted and unpredictable flavor transitions in the finished product. Please exercise care.
  • 160 minim of ground cinnamon (that would be the US customary minim, or 61.611519921875 micro liters….exactly). Ensure you are purchasing real Madagascar grown cinnamon from a reputable source.
  • 4.928922 cc's of ground nutmeg. This is perhaps the most important, most critical, most delicate ingredient. Of course, any person with a decent education knows that the nutmeg tree is any of several species of trees in genus Myristica. However, for this recipe, you must ensure that you are using nutmeg made ONLY from Myristica fragrans, an evergreen tree indigenous to the Banda Islands in the Moluccas (or Spice Islands) of Indonesia. Anything less would be…..tacky and uncivilized.

With the ingredients in hand, it is time to prepare the mix.

Select a porcelain bowl and a wooden spoon. Recommend music would be Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. While Nigel Kennedy's 2nd version of the four seasons is very good, it’s a little….aggressive for this recipe. Shaham's recording with the Orpheus chamber orchestra is safer and preferred. Use your own good judgment there.

As Concerto No. 1 in E major begins, while smiling and talking in subdued tones, lovingly transfer the ice cream to the porcelain container. A few minutes in, the butter may be added but be gentle and speak fondly of the cows that made the milk from which this came from. Carefully and lovingly use the wooden spoon to gently introduce the two dairy products to each other. If you sense any conflict, cease agitation until harmony and balance is again present in the bowl.

As Concerto No. 2 in G minor starts, you may add the other ingredients in whatever order you wish..!! Be reckless, throw caution to the wind, let your spirit soar, and indulge your wild side. I will confide I’ve been known to add the nutmeg BEFORE the cinnamon, on occasion (dear god don’t tell my family). Such rogue behavior will add the necessary spirit and zest to the mix that is so often lacking.

With love and respect, for the duration of the Concerto No. 3 in F major, use of the spoon to blend the ingredients together. Use no more force than is necessary. Anger and haste here will add undesired energy to the blend….and we certainly don’t want that.

As the final notes of Concerto No. 3 fade into silence, your mix should be prepared properly.

...I guess that's how you NJ guys roll. Here all this time I thought us Left Coast dwellers were the fruity ones..... :laugh:

Last edited:
Glad you liked it, MMM.....I still like my original version better.... :laugh: 

I thought you would go with Franz Liszt's Dance of the Fairies - not that there's anything wrong with that.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great recipe BBS!  Didn't even need to drink any to laugh my ass off!

Just made Ray's version because I didn't want to have 3lbs of the stuff =)

It's very tasty! My wife left out the cloves and nutmeg. I'll have to get some and do it right.

investandprosper said:
Just made Ray's version because I didn't want to have 3lbs of the stuff =)

It's very tasty! My wife left out the cloves and nutmeg. I'll have to get some and do it right.

Same here. I made Ray's HBR roux as per the recipe and it is great. I mixed it up one morning, put it in a air tight container, and then put it in the fridge.

image_zps322dbb02.jpg

At night I put 2-3 tablespoon shavings in a large mug, two tablespoons of vanilla ice cream (thanks Tom), 2oz. of Captain Morgan's, and topped it off with boiling water.

One word...WOW!

I can't believe I didn't make this sooner, I always thought this was an old fogey drink.  :laugh:

Thanks guys!

Just got around to reading this. BBS that was some great reading:)

I had one a few nights ago when we had a cold, rainy, raw day. 

I do prefer it with the vanilla ice cream....man that tastes good!

We make a batch (or two) every year, portion it up and freeze 3/4 of it.  Yummy stuff, even if Gary didn't like my original recipe / instructions.... :laugh:

BlindedByScience said:
We make a batch (or two) every year, portion it up and freeze 3/4 of it.  Yummy stuff, even if Gary didn't like my original recipe / instructions.... :laugh:

You're such a dick! I use the vanilla ice cream all the time...doesn't that count as 'liking your original recipe'?  :thumbs: 

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but while looking to see if anyone has posted about home brewing beer I stumbled upon this thread.... and it looks like a good one!