• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick salt test question.

H311oLHD

Can you salt test 2 or 3 units at the same time, using the same salt/ziploc bag? I haven't salt checked my units in almost a year +, so I'm thinking that it is time. I think the answer to my question is 'no' but I thought i'd take it to the experts. In all, I have about 4 units that need testing...and I am not a patient person :laugh: .

Thanks in advance for answering my newbish question.

Yes, that would ensure accurate, synchronized readings on all 4 of them...

just make sure you use tupperware or double bag it, otherwise the results can be skewed. Double bagging has worked best for me in the past.

Thank you guys for answering my question! I just added all of them to the doubled, Hefty freezer bags. :thumbs:

Edit: to fix spelling.

I've done all four of my digitals at the same time in double freezer bags. Always worked well.

I've also heard that a big mayonnaise or mason jar would be a good environment to test in. Makes good sense to me..... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

I have a big glass jar with a rubber gasket in the lid that snaps closed. I usually use that to do my testing, but the double bagging works just as good

Dave

Roger that. Stuff in as many as you can fit. Just give it all time to settle down. I've tested up to 6 units at once, IIRC.

Wilkey

Well, I've had the salt test going since 5pm CST it's been 7 hrs and all the units have been stuck on the same # for about 3 hrs. Not sure what this means, but it they are stuck on: 57,58,61 and 61. :sign:

Edit to add: i'm going to let this test run the full 24 hrs and then start complaining! Just giving myself an update/reminder for when I wake up. Side note - I really hope that these are close to correct b/c I've been assuming they were for quite awhile now.

Regardless of what your salt test says the big question is how have your cigars been smoking? How do they feel? In time, most people can feel their cigars and tell if they are too dry or too wet. If you haven't noticed anything about your cigars prior to this salt test and they are smoking fine then don't concern yourself too much with your salt test results. Cigars will smoke fine between a very large humidity range so don't sweat it.

I've also heard that a big mayonnaise or mason jar would be a good environment to test in. Makes good sense to me..... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.
I've always used a large glass jar with a good sealing lid as well simply because Ziploc's are permeable. And then, I never use salt, I just use a Boveda pack, they're supposed to be spot on, and the salt thing just never seemed totally accurate to me, I could be wrong on that, but it seems the Boveda is a more reliable alternative.

Well, I'm clearly an idiot LOL! I just realized that I put my units in 1 bag and then the cap with the salt in the other bag!! Apparently I was a bit preoccupied yesterday. :laugh:

I never use salt.......
.......the salt thing just never seemed totally accurate to me, I could be wrong on that, but it seems the Boveda is a more reliable alternative.

Yes, you would be wrong on that. Mixing sodium chloride (salt) with water into a wet paste will produce RH at 75.3%. There is no reliability issue with that. It will produce the same 75.3% every time. You can also test other ranges by using different types of salt.

LITHIUM BROMIDE 6.37%
LITHIUM CHLORIDE 11.30%
POTASSIUM ACETATE 22.51%
MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE 32.80%
POTASSIUM CARBONATE 43.16%
MAGNESIUM NITRATE 52.89%
SODIUM BROMIDE 57.57%
POTASSIUM IODIDE 68.86%
SODIUM CHLORIDE 75.30%
POTASSIUM CHLORIDE 84.34%
POTASSIUM SULFATE 97.30%

The process is accurate.... I can't speak for user error. Its simple enough that my yongest used it for a science project in Jr high.

Well after running the test for officially 25 hrs...I'm not fond w/ my results.

4 units total:

Are the ones at 66 and 65 still use able? These are walmart's hygros made by Springfield - Precise Temp.

Did you double bag them? I'd suggest using an air tight container, like one of those mason jars with the rubber seal lid.

Did you double bag them? I'd suggest using an air tight container, like one of those mason jars with the rubber seal lid.

Yeah, I used two hefty freezer lock bags. As stuid as this is going to sound...I dont have any of those jars/not sure where to get one?

Well after running the test for officially 25 hrs...I'm not fond w/ my results.

4 units total:

Are the ones at 66 and 65 still use able? These are walmart's hygros made by Springfield - Precise Temp.

Did you have a similar variable with these units when they were in your humidor? What was the +/- range on your hygros? Most of the cheaper hygros have a plus/minus percentage anywhere from 5 to 10% so if yours has a +/- 10% the reading you have would be within specs and considered accurate. Its important to read the packaging when buying a hygro. All of them will have the +/- range stated on them for both the temperature and humidity readings.

I personally would mark each unit with the reading of this test and then start over again from scatch to verify your first test. Here is a picture of a container you can find at any walmart or target style store for pretty cheap that will work real good. Check in the food container section.

Salt_test.jpg

I don't think its a seal thats causing your problems....I bought two of those Wal-Mart hygros, why not, for $7 a piece... and I am not fond of them at all. Salt tested both in Tupperware, one tested at 74% and the other at 77%. My HygroSet hygrometer was dead on 75%. Placed all three hygros in my desktop humidor with 65% beads, and the two Wal-Mart hygros dropped down to 58% for both, while my HygroSet was solid at 65%. I just couldn't trust that sort of variance in humidity readings. I also used a Boveda packet double bagged, and got completely different results with the two Wal-Mart hygros, while the HygroSet was again dead on. I think these Wal-Mart hygros are very hit or miss. I know guys on here who use them are happy with them...to each his own! Good luck with your testing.