• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Raising your own tobacco.

Interesting thread.....This could be just the hobby i'm looking for LOL....My wife like to work in her gardens and stuff...maybe it's time for me to have a row.... :D

I most certainly will be reading more about growing/aging tobacco over the winter.

In one of my travels to India I observed that a they chew thir tobacco? What's the difference between smoking it and chewing it? a little help here

Good question, and completely on topic. I've thought and thought about it and can't for the life of me figure out what the difference is between smoking something and chewing something. Speaking of traveling, would you have any idea how I would go about finding a good website to coordinate my travels to such places as India and/or Las Vegas? A little help here.

You might try chewing on some burning tobacco as an empirical way of finding out.

Doc.

Is anyone going to attempt to grow their own this year? This will be my second year growing. Since I had so much fun with it last year I've expanded quite a bit and will be giving pipe tobacco processing a serious shot this go around.

Is anyone going to attempt to grow their own this year? This will be my second year growing. Since I had so much fun with it last year I've expanded quite a bit and will be giving pipe tobacco processing a serious shot this go around.

I would, but I'm afraid for the baby or dog getting sick if they got into the crops. Tobacco plants would look nice out in the back yard :whistling:

that was a really cool tutorial. i have always wanted to grow my own tobacco. free of pesticides and preservatives

How has this thread not had a single picture for two pages :O ?!?!?!?!
Let's see the actual plants boys!
Chris

OK

About 2-3 weeks from the field yet.......this photo is about a week old, and only shows part of the seedlings.

How many plants are you planting this year ashauler and where do you plant th em?

I started with a goal of 205 plants.....but I'm down to 171 surviving seedlings at the moment. I expect some additional losses, so I've revised my goal to 160 plants or so. I plant in our family garden space at my parents house. I take care of the yard and vegetable garden for them, so it was pretty convenient and they have much better soil then I do at my place.

I'll have the following varieties:
Cigar Tobacco
CT Broadleaf
PA Broadleaf
Florida Sumatra
Havana 142

Burley
Yellow Twist Bud
Ergo (white stemmed burley)
TN 90

Orientals
Samsun 15
Bafra
Frogs Eye Orinoco

Heirloom ceremonial tobacco
Aztec Rustica

Wow and I had a hard time with 10 plants, I can't imagine 160. I'd really have a hard time maintaining my 10x14 garden, then 160 tobacco plants, so good on you.

How far apart are the tobacco plants and your vegetable garden? I've always heard to keep the tobacco plants away from tomatoes, b/c of the nicotine factor. Then again, maybe that would be a good combo, nicotine enhanced tomatoes......hmmm.

The gardens are seperated by about 50' or so, with uncultivated ground between.

Planting day 26 June 11

7 July 2011

PA Broadleaf 26 June11:

PA Broadleaf 7 July 11:

I'll be applying the first side-dressing of fertilizer this weekend, so they should really take off from here. The temps here were just plain brutal when I set the plants.......frankly, I'm surprised that the majority of them have survived. I'll be down to right around 100 to 113 plants.......short of my goal, but plenty to work with. There are more photo's of all the varieties in my albums.

Thanks for looking.

Nice info here, I planted mine under the dirt, (before I read your post), now I only have ONE plant left....under the dirt is definitely a bad idea! Thanks for the post, I'll be printing it off later and following that to the letter.

Rob

I would love to be able to buy a few sticks. it would be awsome to know i have something in the humidor, where from conception to smoking i have seen its journey.

Here's a picture of one of our fields out at my grandfathers. Ive been home two weeks from college and the crop has grown like crazy!
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9725]

There are lovely images of tobacco plants and it is very green, Thanks to share this nice information.

0603082041.jpg

Beautiful

Im going to upload some picture here soon of some cigars a few fraternity brothers and myself rolled here soon. Fun experience from growing to curing to rolling

Well, it's getting close to time for me to start my seeds for this years crop. I've settled (sorta) on the following strains:

CT Broadleaf (cigar)
PA Broadleaf (cigar)
FL Sumatra (cigar)
Vuelto Abajo (
icon_e_biggrin.gif
)
Va Gold (flue cured)
Yellow Twist Bud (burley)
Bafra (oriental)
Samsun (oriental)

I've completed  the initial germination testing on all varieties and got acceptable results.  I'm considering adding another burley to the plan, but not sure I want to mess with as much pipe tobacco processing as I've done in the past. 

I need to break into the bricks I pressed in '11 and see how they have done, it's been awhile since I've burned any of it.