• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ramon Allones Eminencia

cigardawg

I was looking at the humidor last Saturday evening trying to figure out what to smoke. Finally, I decided I wanted something a little different. So, I reached in the cabinet and removed one of the Swiss Regional Releases, the Ramon Allones Eminencia. This cigar is the same size/vitola as the Allones Extra, discontinued in the 1970s. The factory where Ramon Allones were originally made was the Eminencia. Thus, the name and vitola.

Ramon Allones Eminencia

This cigar had a light-to-medium brown wrapper on it, displaying just a touch of oiliness. There were a couple of noticable veins, but the seams were tight and the triple-flagged cap was beautifully applied. The pre-light nose was of sweet earth and grass/hay...very pleasant. The pre-light draw was very tight. :0

The cigar succumbed to the torch quite easily, but the draw remained tight...causing me much concern. Initially, there was very low smoke production and it was hard to discern any flavors. Then, after about 1/2 inch, the draw opened up a bit and smoke production picked up. As I smoked the cigar, it performed better, eventually having an almost perfect draw and producing mouthfuls of billowing smoke. The ash was firm and very light gray in color. This cigar burned very evenly throughout the experience, demonstrating a nice, sharp burn-line. The smoke stayed cool down to the nub. Despite the initial draw problems, a very well constructed cigar. :thumbs:

Initial tastes were earthy with some charred wood undertones. When the cigar began to open up at the 1/2 inch mark, the smoke developed some grassy-creaminess. All of the good flavors still had the edge of youth on them, however. As I continued to smoke this cigar, the toasty tobacco flavors typical of the Ramon Allones profile began to appear. As the half-way mark was reached, the Eminencia had launched fully into the creamy/toasty/grassy Ramon Allones taste. All had the edge of youngness, however, and it became even more so toward to end.

This cigar showed the basic flavor characteristics of the Ramon Allones line (with the exception of the 898, which I find to be unique in the line-up). It was stronger than the Specially Selected, Small Club Corona, and Gigante. I personally believe this cigar will age nicely. For now, I rate it a B+ , with potential for reaching A-level in the future.

Great review.

I have read an article or two mentioning the Regional Releases. I really hope I am not breaching the source rule, but in order to get those, do you generally have to order from the country they were released in.

I have some RASS's on the way and i cannot wait to try them.

n

nfulton said:
Great review.

I have read an article or two mentioning the Regional Releases. I really hope I am not breaching the source rule, but in order to get those, do you generally have to order from the country they were released in.

I have some RASS's on the way and i cannot wait to try them.

n
[snapback]284059[/snapback]​

They can only be purchased in the country in which they were released. These are extremely limited in number. In general, on the order of 1200 boxes (give or take).

Thanks for the info.
How do you stay up on what habanos sa is releasing?
Sorry about all of the questions, but I have learned so much in the week that I have been on this site.

n

NIce review Dawg. I'm glad to hear that the draw opened up as the burn progressed.

Sounds like a promising long term prospect.

Wilkey

cigardawg said:
This cigar showed the basic flavor characteristics of the Ramon Allones line (with the exception of the 898, which I find to be unique in the line-up). It was stronger than the Specially Selected, Small Club Corona, and Gigante. I personally believe this cigar will age nicely. For now, I rate it a B+ , with potential for reaching A-level in the future.
[snapback]284021[/snapback]​

Yeah, I thought these were enjoyable, but didn't quite have the ooomph that I expected this vitola to have. Oh well, still nice medium bodied smokes.

Thanks for the review. I love reading reviews of rare or unusual cigars like this.

That's a great review Dawg, thanks for bring us the taste of these hard to obtain regional releases. This sounds like a promising long term prospect one can only look forward to seeing some age on this baby.

Now could you educate us of some other regonal releases? Besides UK & Swiss what others are out there? Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall there was one Swiss issue of Punch Robusto, have you ever tried those?

ML237 said:
Now could you educate us of some other regonal releases? Besides UK & Swiss what others are out there? Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall there was one Swiss issue of Punch Robusto, have you ever tried those?
[snapback]285186[/snapback]​

Unfortunately, I am definitely no expert where the regional releases are concerned. I know of the RA Eminencia and the Punch Robusto from the Swiss Region. There is the RA Belicoso in the UK, but it is not actually a Regional Release, more of a test run as I understand it. The only other Regional Release that I know of is the RA Corona Gorda from Italy. That is the extent of my knowledge.

I have some of the Punch Robustos, but am letting them sit before trying them. I also have a few of the RA Belicosos from 04. They are smoking very good right now, but will get better and better. I am also lucky enough to have one of the RA Corona Gordas from Italy...have not smoked it yet.