• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RASS, two different bands

classyndry

on injured reserve
A friend got both of these sticks in trades from two members on a different, but similar forum. He isn't blaming anyone or making any accusations, but the two bands are clearly different. He also understands that he could have traded with someone that didn't know the cigars were not authentic if that turns out to be the case. Could both be genuine? From pictures that I've seen, only one has the correct coloration, but I am certainly no expert.

Link to the pictures:

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/rshacklefordiv/

I've seen both styles of bands. The one with the shinier, glitter type I see more often on RASS. The duller band I see more often on RAGs.

But in any case, they are both legit styles of bands.

Now whether or not they are legit cigars is a totally different question.

Looking at the other pictures however, it seems that they are of noticeably different lengths.

The length is different. The ruler and end of the cigars are flush.

I question the one with the 'duller' band. I haven't come across that style of band(not that I'm an expert) and the cap doesn't seem right....I can't count three caps.

Didn't I respond to your PM? If not, I'm sorry. With as many inquiries as I get, I'm bound to let one slip by now and then. TWB is correct in that both bands have been seen on authentic goods. I think the first I saw of the new darker, more detailed bands was on the Estupendos RE from 2007.

In this case, the bands don't rule out the fact that these may be counterfeit. It's next to impossible to prove that a cigar is authentic. The best that one can hope to achieve is to determine that there is insufficient evidence to suggest with high certainty that they are fake. That is the test I apply. That said, the length difference might be problematic. The Allones Specially Selected is a robusto and as such, should be 4-7/8" in length.

Wilkey

I didn't get a response to the PM. But its only been a few days, I figured you get questions like that all the time. The lighter banded cigar is exactly 5 inches. The darker and brighter gold banded cigar is 4-7/8.

I didn't get a response to the PM. But its only been a few days, I figured you get questions like that all the time. The lighter banded cigar is exactly 5 inches. The darker and brighter gold banded cigar is 4-7/8.
Boy. I that case, I'd say it's not looking to good for the long one.

Is there any way for your friend to discreetly get the word back to whomever he obtained the suspect cigar from?

Wilkey

Should be able to. He has gotten quite a few authentic sticks in trades, so I'd imagine he isn't upset. No big deal.

IMO, it's not the 10, 20, or more authentic specimens one might get but rather the 1 bad one.

I strongly feel that one must be very conservative, very sure about putting into circulation "Cuban" cigars of uncertain provenance/authenticity.

If it was a new guy that passed the fake onto your friend, one could conceivably chalk that up to rank inexperience. However, if it came from a member who spent any appreciable amount of time on any given cigar forum, then that's a bit more of a problem. In a word, they ought to know better than to risk it. There are enough experienced folks on any forum who can help out not to take advantage of that.

A RASS costs something like $8. The potential cost of passing a fake specimen and then being found out is considerably higher.

Wilkey

Well,

I suppose so.

Just so you understand, I'm not here to flog anyone for mistakes of ignorance or even negligence. Clearly one must take his lumps in situations like this. Rather, it's those whose intent it is to defraud the members here that really deserve our gentle attentions.

Wilkey

The unmarked one is fake.

The verticles red lines are too thin.

I'll check some things but that's a stong indication.

That sure looks like my handwriting on the one with the extra band....I sure hope that it is real as I got it from a very trusted source. Let me know what you guys think. To me it looks real but I am no expert. Let me know what you guys think.

Yours certainly looked the part to me. I'm pretty confident about it. I'll let you know for sure once its been smoked.

altercall - props on getting the king of the hill reference

Looking at the pictures and at references I am about 100% sure that mine are real. That other looks pretty bad.

Different styles of bands are certainly out there as you can see in this picture. Sticks 5,9 and 10 are all from 2005 and 13 and 17 are from 2007 (17 is a rerelease). You can really see a distinct difference in the brown color of the ring and the quality of the embossing between the two years.

That being said I would also say that the color of the band on the lower smoke really doesn't look like either of them. That might just be from the lighting or any of a host of different factors that make color matching difficult via computers. This picture only contains 2 years worth of bands as well and there is likely more variation out there than is represented here.

I would definitely be more concerned about the length discrepancy.

Different styles of bands are certainly out there as you can see in this picture. Sticks 5,9 and 10 are all from 2005 and 13 and 17 are from 2007 (17 is a rerelease). You can really see a distinct difference in the brown color of the ring and the quality of the embossing between the two years.

That being said I would also say that the color of the band on the lower smoke really doesn't look like either of them. That might just be from the lighting or any of a host of different factors that make color matching difficult via computers. This picture only contains 2 years worth of bands as well and there is likely more variation out there than is represented here.

I would definitely be more concerned about the length discrepancy.

Great stuff!

If you are able - a side shot f the bands would be very helpful, as that is what I am questioning. From this small(2d) angle the red lines appear the same.

Again, great pic!