• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ready for an 8 hour heat nap

How do you keep your BGE at temperature for 8 hours?

Once you get used to how the intake and top vent work you can pretty much set it and forget it for temps that you use a lot. Since I usually do Pork Butts for 20 hours (@225) and a full Packer will go for 16-18 hours (@250) depending on size. Most of the time I don't have to make any adjustments after the first 1/2 hour since I'v done it so many times. Now when I did the Turkey @350 it took me a few pokes to get that temp stable.

Spill the beans on the rub!
No beans in my rub, spilled or otherwise. While I have done some rubs close to this one this is a new one for me so let me see how it comes out before I share it or not.

OK if you have made it this far maybe you have an interest in how I cook my flats. Fisrt I fat trim them which goes against almost everything you'll read. However the reason is I cook mine not only with the BGE indirect heat plate in but in a stainless steel pan with a raised bottom grill. So on to the rub: This will do an 8lb flat easily.
3Tbs coarse sea salt
1 TBS Garlic Powder
2 tsp Mrs Dash seasoning
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
2 tsp coarse Black Pepper
4 bay leaves with the leaf part stripped off.

Take everything except the salt and blend it together. I use a coffee bean grinder myself.
Mix that back in with the salt.

Take your flat and pat it dry, rub with vegetable oil and coat both sides with the rub. Don't just sprinkle it on the flat but push it in with your hand.

Heat grill to 250/ put flat into pan and add 1 cup of water or beer to bottom of pan.
Cook for about 4 hours or until internal temp is 160-165.
Place flat onto large sheet of heavy duty Foil and make a container to hold some liquid. Empty any juices that collected back into the container you made.
ADD 1 CUP DARK BLACK COFFEE to the liquid.
Seal up your foil container and put back on the heat for about 2 more hours or until internal temp reaches 200. Take off heat and let rest for 15-30 minutes. While flat is resting pour any liquid from the foil container back into the bottom of the pan. add a shot of dark rum to the mixture. Scrap any dried parts off the bottom and mix it with the liquid. Strain the whole mixture and push a lot of the non-liquid stuff through the strainer.

Cut your flat on the bias and put a table spoon of sauce on each piece of meat. Pig out.

Now there will come a time when I will ask you for a favor and you will remember what I have done for you.

Last edited:
You obviously don’t pay attention to me..... I’ve been telling you this for years. I’ll put a butt roast on at night before going to bed late, and take it off the next afternoon without ever having to tend to it.
Sheesh! No wonder Anna is so frustrated with you. 😂

You obviously don’t pay attention to me..... I’ve been telling you this for years. I’ll put a butt roast on at night before going to bed late, and take it off the next afternoon without ever having to tend to it.
Sheesh! No wonder Anna is so frustrated with you. 😂

I didn't know Sid's wife was an Anna also.