• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ready to cancel cable

Been with sling for about four months now. It's nice to be able to sign in to Watch ESPN with my sling account, but beyond that, I cannot really say that I'm impressed. We have a Roku 3, and when it works, the signal is solid. But there are way too many lags, dropped streams, and blackouts. 

The lack of a DVR really kills the service, and switching between channels tends to lock up the Roku pretty quickly. Live sports is a bit hit or miss (I just use Watch ESPN for most). 

I'm keeping it, just because there aren't really alternates where I live in MS beyond paying an arm and leg for cable. It'll be interesting to see if Apple's rumored TV streaming service is better. 

Nah. I'm keeping time warner. Can't beat the deal they're giving me. It would cost me more to "cut the cord".

I signed up and found out that the interface/ability to airplay from an iPad/iPhone still isn't resolved.  I'd be happy with a Sling "channel" on the Apple TV interface, I don't want to have to plug in our Roku every time we want to watch something.

They have a 7 day trial period and today is Day 2.  I'm going to see if I can get it to work tonight and if I can't, I might just have to suffer through with not having ESPN, until Apple gets their act together.

I did the seven day free trial with Sling using the laptop (PC) app. None of my smart devices have the app. It was a little buggy freezing or not connecting. Usually shutting down and restarting the app fixed it for awhile. A month or two later I signed up for a month to watch one of the golf majors on ESPN. I still had the same issues so I'll wait a while to see if they can get the bugs worked out. I have 6Mbs Uverse which is the fastest I can get since I'm too far away for 12Mbs. My only other option is satellite which is no option when you're streaming.

Cable TV is one thing, but internet service providers are another.  Comcast is the devil, but it's hella fast around here.  Just checked, I'm getting 169 Mbps down, 12 Mbps up.  Good luck matching that with a DSL.  If you're lucky enough to have Google fiber, well, that's a whole 'nother thing......

Mark Twain said:
Been with sling for about four months now. It's nice to be able to sign in to Watch ESPN with my sling account, but beyond that, I cannot really say that I'm impressed. We have a Roku 3, and when it works, the signal is solid. But there are way too many lags, dropped streams, and blackouts. 

The lack of a DVR really kills the service, and switching between channels tends to lock up the Roku pretty quickly. Live sports is a bit hit or miss (I just use Watch ESPN for most). 

I'm keeping it, just because there aren't really alternates where I live in MS beyond paying an arm and leg for cable. It'll be interesting to see if Apple's rumored TV streaming service is better. 
Your lag,dropped stream's is most likely caused by a bandwidth issue on the ISP side. what's your up/down stats? http://www.speedtest.net/

BlindedByScience said:
Cable TV is one thing, but internet service providers are another.  Comcast is the devil, but it's hella fast around here.  Just checked, I'm getting 169 Mbps down, 12 Mbps up.  Good luck matching that with a DSL.  If you're lucky enough to have Google fiber, well, that's a whole 'nother thing......
Truer words have never been spoken. I've been sober from Dish/Cable for 20 months, and still loving it. Comcast is horrible in my area, but was the only game in town for near ever. In my new neighborhood we have Fiber provided by Centurylink. I currently have the Xfinity (Blast) package I think (the 105mbs service), but only see 80mbs at most. I've already scheduled my DC date with Comcast and and have Centurylink coming out to install my new 1gbs Fiber service the day after we close on our house. :) I can't wait to see real world speeds via Cat6, and how fast my wifi devices are with my AC router. 

Backslide said:

Your lag,dropped stream's is most likely caused by a bandwidth issue on the ISP side. what's your up/down stats? http://www.speedtest.net/

It depends on the time of day. Evenings seem to create a bottle neck, but I usually average around 12 mbs down and a little over 1 mbs upload. 

Hmmm. This a tad on the slow side for streaming. Do you have cable or DSL? Also what type of modem are you using? DOCSIS 2.0 or the newer 3.0? A 3.0 has 2x the bandwidth of a 2.0 device. If you're using a 2.0, upgrading your modem will double your speeds (depending on the speed package your subscribed to) if you're using a 2.0 cable modem I'm willing to send you a 3.0.

BlindedByScience said:

169 Mbps down? Wow! That's fast. I just ran a test from work and my down speed is 120 Mbps and up is 117 Mbps and we have fiber optic.

Backslide said:
Hmmm. This a tad on the slow side for streaming. Do you have cable or DSL? Also what type of modem are you using? DOCSIS 2.0 or the newer 3.0? A 3.0 has 2x the bandwidth of a 2.0 device. If you're using a 2.0, upgrading your modem will double your speeds (depending on the speed package your subscribed to) if you're using a 2.0 cable modem I'm willing to send you a 3.0.

Thanks!  Right before we canceled cable the modem died and they replaced it with an Arris cm820, which should be 3.0. We are with Maxxsouth on a cable modem, and there is no real competition because we're technically in rural MS. I tried to get Uverse, but they don't service our street.