• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Real" Domincan Cohibas

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
A buddy of mine just got back from his honeymoon in Santo Domingo. The first thing he tells me is, "Hey I got a box of Cohiba's for $34." I was like, "uummmm, Sorry, no you didn't. There's no such thing." So he says, "No they're dominican, the guy wanted $150 but all I had was $34 and he took it." He said "even if they are not that great, for under two bucks how bad can they be."

We played golf yesterday and he gave me one for all the times I gave hime cigars so I felt like I had to take it. It was an "authentic" dominican cohiba with the nice wannabe cuban black and gold band on it but it said republica dominicana where Havana should have been. My goodness it was horrible. It was like smoking wet grass. With fertilizer. Gag. Needless to say, I left it on the first hole.

Once again, If it's too good to be true, then you're probably buying fake cubans.

There is such a thing as a real Dominican Cohiba but the band looks completely different. The distinguishing feature is the 'O' in Cohiba is filled in with red. Hence these are called "Red Dot" Cohibas. They're made by General Cigar, iirc. What he got aren't even fake Cubans, they're fake Dominicans. Red Dots aren't that good (except maybe the XV line) but they're not as horrible as what you described.

I told him about the real Dominicans having a different label. I've never had one. I guess what you say is true, he had fake Dominicans, I hadn't even thought of that.

I guess that's why its such a big business. You get someone who doesn't know anything about cigars, slap a label that says Cohiba on it and you're all set.

Come to think of it, there's a cigar shop down here that sells the "Dominican" Cohiba with the Black and Gold label. I refuse to buy from them purely on principle. I'm going to ask them about that next time I'm in that area.

Maybe he thought he was buying one of the older boxes?

I thought that up until recently the Dom. Rep. Cohibas still had the black/gold bands but they had to stop b/c of a lawsuit by the ISOM Cohibas.
???

I bought Monte #2's that looked like they were 10 years old in Sto. Domingo. Gottem $5 a pop for 6 of em. Funny thing is, they smoked like a wonderful 10 year old Monte #2.

Emo