• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recommend me a Bolivar

Ginseng

Banned
Hi guys,

I've smoked several of the smaller/medium Bolivar vitolas such as the Petit Coronas, Coronas Extra and Coronas Junior. I've also sampled the Belicosos Finos. While I wouldn't necessarily pick Bolivar as my go-to brand for spice and strength, I would pick it for rich, earthy tobacco flavor.

That said, what would be your choice for a somewhat larger vitola that delivers the richest, deepest true tobacco flavor? I'm thinking along the lines of the Corona Gigantes but is there anything else? Perhaps the Churchills?

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Wilkey

You know my opinion on Bolis, so my choice would be the Royal Corona followed by the BBF. Good luck!

The corona gigantes is the churchill size (I think)..I found it more refined than the BBF. I'd recommend the immensa, since I believe you like the dalia size.

If you can give me 2 more days (or at least till midnight my time tomorrow while I'm watching the Steelers slaughter the Sea Hawks.. :D )

I'll let you know what I think of the Corona Gigantes I picked up to smoke on my birthday :)

Jan Primus said:
The corona gigantes is the churchill size (I think)..I found it more refined than the BBF. I'd recommend the immensa, since I believe you like the dalia size.
[snapback]284715[/snapback]​

The Bolivar Inmensas is the churchill :)

Thanks for the ideas.

Jan, that's right, I do like the Dalias size. :) The Inmensas is Bolivar's Dalias. The Bolivar Lonsdale, which is a Cervantes is in about the same size range as well.

Shawn, the Bolivar Churchill and Corona Gigante are the true "Churchills" or Julieta 2 vitola de galera. And yes, I can wait a few days to hear how your experience turns out.

Anthony, yep. I figured you liked those. ;)

Wilkey

the inmensas is a lonsdale on steroids(43 x 6 3/4)

the coronas gigantes is a churchill(47 x 7)

boli makes another "odd" size...coronas extras are a corona on steroids(44 x 5 5/8)

ginseng if you havnt tried the coronas yet...they are in the same league as the other 42 ring bolivars.still my favorites are the 3 shorter 42 ring bolivars(cjr's pc's and coronas).

be warned the lonsdales are not what you would expect from the 42 rg bolivars but an outstanding smoke nontheless.alot less power than the other boli's yet much more refined with a few years of age.

the coronas gigantes is (probably)the strongest churchill out there(or perhaps tied with the partagas churchills de luxe).not bad with only 3 years aging.the best of the fatter bolivars.

the coronas extras need a lot of time...3 year old ce's are still smoking very very young.you have tried these so you know this already.

if nothing can be found with age...recommend:coronas gigantes
if 5 year old smokes can be found...coronas or lonsdales(in that order).

sorry if i havnt given you a fatter cigar to try...i just dont smoke robustos or pyramids or churchills much.

derrek :)

I haven't smoked a ton of Bolis as I'm not a big fan of them in general but the CG is my favorite in the line. Much more complex then the insanely popular BF and not so strong as to mute the myriad flavors. A very different experience from the other Bolis I've tried. I've been smoking some '02s that are nubbers.

Excellent advice dvickery! Thank you so much. At this point, I'd like to be able to smoke some but, I'd also like a cigar that will develop over the next few years. You've given me a lot to think about. :thumbs:

I love puzzling over how the different cigars in a brand can be stocked to deliver their pleasures over time. Without the means, space or patience to simply age "a box of everything," the challenge of stock selection is that much more stimulating.

Wilkey

lucasbuck said:
I haven't smoked a ton of Bolis as I'm not a big fan of them in general but the CG is my favorite in the line. Much more complex then the insanely popular BF and not so strong as to mute the myriad flavors. A very different experience from the other Bolis I've tried. I've been smoking some '02s that are nubbers.
[snapback]284763[/snapback]​

Very helpful indeed. The Corona Gigantes is starting to attract some serious consideration. BTW, how would you say they compare to Zee's Fauxhiba? :p

Wilkey

I like larger size smokes, and the Boli CG is a favorite of mine. I have always liked the Boli line, and the CG I find to be a strong, rich smoke, full of flavor. Sometimes I find them with a bit of spice to them, others, I find more subdued, earthy, but still strong, very flavorful.

I also the CE and the RC. Both excellent cigars.

Eric

Bah shawn stole my bolivar the other day so i couldnt tell ya. Send me a pm if you are looking for some Wilkey may be able to round some up for ya.

I smoked the Boli CG while in Scotland. I made the mistake of smoking it on an empty stomach. When I say empty I mean close to the shakes. :D

I dont know what happened with this cigar which made it so potent but I felt like I was hit by a freight train. I had to actually toss this thing half way down since the hunger and the cigar wasnt making me feel to well. Now I wished I could try one again to get a better accessment of this cigar. I really enjoyed it till it kicked my ass. :laugh: But I really prefer the BBF.

Had my first Bolivar last night. It was a PC, but man it was goodaaaaa. Have to get my hands on a few more. :laugh:

I love the Cuban Bolivars...second only to Partagas. :love: My favorite Bolivar is the Corona Extra. Second to that is the Inmensa, the Dalia size. Actually, my favorite vitola. I have both aged and fresh Inmensas and they are outstanding. :thumbs:

There's my recommendation. Another to try, though it is a "softer" Bolivar is the Lonsdale. It is rich, but the earthy flavors are a bit toned down. Still a very yummy smoke.

cigardawg said:
I love the Cuban Bolivars...second only to Partagas. :love: My favorite Bolivar is the Corona Extra. Second to that is the Inmensa, the Dalia size. Actually, my favorite vitola. I have both aged and fresh Inmensas and they are outstanding. :thumbs:

There's my recommendation. Another to try, though it is a "softer" Bolivar is the Lonsdale. It is rich, but the earthy flavors are a bit toned down. Still a very yummy smoke.
[snapback]285263[/snapback]​

There's a man after my own heart. :thumbs:

I haven't had a stellar Partagas recently, aside from the PSP2, and all this recent Bolivar action has really tipped the scales toward this brand. I had been considering the Lonsdale so thanks for the added insight.

Wilkey

The 1997 Bolivar Inmensas are smoking great right now as are the 99 CE's and 98 Lonsdales. If you look around the 97 Inmnensas are still available.

Boli Brevas machine made but probably the strongest boli flavor.
BBF not what I associate with true bolivar earthiness, more subtle herbal.
BRC- needs time but I think there are better Robustos out there
BPC- the best PC out there and available in 50 cabs which I consider very important.
BCJ- very good minuto but maybe not up to the Trini reyes or SCDLH principes.
BCE- strong boli flavor but needs some time.

Bolivar Bonitas are one of my favorite small smokes and the Royal Coronas are great especially with a bit of time in the humidor.

I haven't gotten around to smoking my Gigantes yet... due to the fact I refuse to smoke a cigar with a sinus infection (I suffer from cronic sinus problems in the winter :( ). Nothing wastes a good cigar than having your head stuffed up and not being able to taste it.