• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recommendations

MoeCizlak

Built for comfort
I have a Canadian friend who has a choice before him. Get a box of VR Unicos with almost a year on them or a box of RyJ Churchills with almost three years on them? He has told me that he enjoys BBFs, RASS, Petite Punch and Party Shorts if that helps you identify his tastes. He is also a little curious about the Mag46s. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.......by him.

With similar tastes as your friend I would pick the VR's over the RyJ's. Both are great but IMO VR's are a little better even with only a year on them.

Tough call. I've found VR Unicos with less than a few years on to be sort of rough and not really ready. However, based on his other likes, Vegas Robaina would be a better fit. The most recent Mag46, late 2006 and onward are really quite good. But I have to be honest, this is one cigar that I've found somewhat variable. A good box is faaaaantastic. A mediocre box will make you wonder why you lit one up.

I might suggest he consider the mid-06 and later Bolivar Royal Coronas. Great cigars. Also, Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4 from that period are surprisingly good. If he wants to stay in VR, then the Famoso is more approachable. My favorite in that marca, though, is the Familiar. Damn good corona. One of the best, IMO.

Wilkey

He appreciates the advice given gentlemen. He isn't necessarily brand loyal but rather smokes what he likes. He seems to favor Partagas and Bolivar offerings though and that Royal Corona looks beautiful. He seems a bit leery of the Mag46 as he has heard the same thing Wilkey pointed out about inconsitencies. I think that's why he's hesitant to go for a box of them. He thanks you all again for your time and considerations.

i love the vr line and the unicos are both my favorite, and the most popular vr in our shop, but i believe the r&j churchills to be a more thoroughly enjoyable cigar.

for aging the choice would be even more clear. although, not a lot of information in available for long term aging for the unicos, i believe you can find volumes of praise for the aged r&j churchills.

Tough call. I've found VR Unicos with less than a few years on to be sort of rough and not really ready. However, based on his other likes, Vegas Robaina would be a better fit. The most recent Mag46, late 2006 and onward are really quite good. But I have to be honest, this is one cigar that I've found somewhat variable. A good box is faaaaantastic. A mediocre box will make you wonder why you lit one up.

I might suggest he consider the mid-06 and later Bolivar Royal Coronas. Great cigars. Also, Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4 from that period are surprisingly good. If he wants to stay in VR, then the Famoso is more approachable. My favorite in that marca, though, is the Familiar. Damn good corona. One of the best, IMO.

Wilkey

wilkey-

i couldnt agree more the 06 boli rc just happened to come out just when we opened our shop. i loved smoking through that box. every cigar was more enjoyable than the last. im only sorry i didnt stock up at the time. i was so overwhelmed with other choices.

i have learned my lesson.

here we love the 99 vr familiars. although they, like several other of the vr from that era, are a bit firm, most seasoned smokers quickly adapt and smoke them brilliantly. i will be sorry when they are all gone.

cheers
drew p

I can't comment on the VR or RYJ, but I do have a box of the Mag 46 mid 2006. Very smooth and packs a nice punch.

To my tastes the RYJ with the 3 years is a no brainer over any VR. A well aged RyJ Churchill is one of my favorite all time cigars. They really start to develop when they have at least 6-7 years on them.

To my tastes the RYJ with the 3 years is a no brainer over any VR. A well aged RyJ Churchill is one of my favorite all time cigars. They really start to develop when they have at least 6-7 years on them.

Of course it's a matter of individual taste, but I personally agree 100% with The Master.