• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Redford Electronic Cabinet Cigar Humidor

One more thing about the great customer service from Bob Staebell. I emailed him on Thanksgiving day about an issue not related to the humidification system I bought from him along with pictures. He replied to me the next day and told me that he was away and would call me on Monday.

Sure enough I got a call from him and was on the phone for a good 15 minutes answering my questions and coming up with a solution to my problem. I obviously purchased some fans from him but he did not hesitate to help me with my problem.  :thumbs:

So my point is don't just shop for price but quality and some customer service to go with it when you need it!

Edited for spelling.

[SIZE=12.222222328186035px]Have you looked into Bob Staebells humidors? He builds great quality humidors and a few members here have some of his humidors. [/SIZE]http://www.aristocrathumidors.com

As Rod said, I have a cooled Staebell humidor.  Our old house didn't have AC, which is why I got the unit I did.  Mine is tall like a phone booth, and has three pelts in it.  If I remember correctly, Bob said it should maintain a 20F delta between internal and external temperature, meaning 100F outside and it can maintain 80F internally....but don't quote me on that.  One thing that Bob's cabinets feature are premium quality components, solid construction, built as Bob says to be "...the cabinet your grandkids fight over...".  I love mine, would buy another tomorrow.  Though, now that we're in our new home with central AC. I don't really have the need for a cooled cabinet.  I'd just get a bigger one.... :laugh:   

But, respectfully, if $350 for shipping is an issue for you, these cabinets are probably not what you are looking for..... :whistling:

Edited to add - pardon the junk (taken during our move in) but here's what mine looks like:

gallery_1565_604_12871.jpg

gallery_1565_604_27343.jpg

gallery_1565_604_45599.jpg

Tom very nice looking cabinet humidor. It looks like you need to add an addition to it  :laugh:  

...sure looked big when it got here a few years back.  Keeps my buying in check, sorta.... :laugh:

Rod said:
Stay away from those cigar newbie books, they'll confuse the hell out of you. 

Ideally, you want to keep your cigars below 80F, otherwise you risk mold and possibly beetles. But again, it's relative to your RH. If you are experiencing high temps, then lower the humidity down to 63% or so in the summer. I keep my RH around 68% in the winter and drop it to around 63% in the summer. 

Those cigars books will also tell you to keep your RH at 72%. Many of us disagree with this number, for many reasons. I'd say most of us keep our cigars anywhere from 55%-70%. For me, cigars tend to smoke the best at around 65%.

I've never read a book about cigars lol, all of the information I have gathered over the years is from fellow smokers, reading online forums like this one and most importantly my own personal experience. This is the first time someone points out the difference between RH % in the summer and winter time, this is a very good piece of information that I was not aware of. I too like my cigars at around 65% and that is why I keep my everyday cigar humidor at around that range.

BlindedByScience said:

[SIZE=12.222222328186035px]Have you looked into Bob Staebells humidors? He builds great quality humidors and a few members here have some of his humidors. [/SIZE]http://www.aristocrathumidors.com

As Rod said, I have a cooled Staebell humidor.  Our old house didn't have AC, which is why I got the unit I did.  Mine is tall like a phone booth, and has three pelts in it.  If I remember correctly, Bob said it should maintain a 20F delta between internal and external temperature, meaning 100F outside and it can maintain 80F internally....but don't quote me on that.  One thing that Bob's cabinets feature are premium quality components, solid construction, built as Bob says to be "...the cabinet your grandkids fight over...".  I love mine, would buy another tomorrow.  Though, now that we're in our new home with central AC. I don't really have the need for a cooled cabinet.  I'd just get a bigger one.... :laugh:   

But, respectfully, if $350 for shipping is an issue for you, these cabinets are probably not what you are looking for..... :whistling:

Edited to add - pardon the junk (taken during our move in) but here's what mine looks like:

gallery_1565_604_12871.jpg

gallery_1565_604_27343.jpg

gallery_1565_604_45599.jpg

Very nice looking humidor! And you are correct about your assumption that I might not be able to afford a Staebell humidors (but most sincere, wanting to pay $3ks for it) but $350 shipping is not an issue to me. I know the shipping for these monsters will be well above $250(which is the cheapest I could find on shipping) so that is definitely not an issue. It's just the principal of not having something on your website about the shipping rules on the date of your "site wide free shipping cyber monday", then receiving an e-mail asking you to contact them to try to charge you the $350, I felt it was bad business practice therefor cancelled my order even if I was willing to pay the $350 shipping elsewhere, which in fact I'm.

My price range is more like $1,000 - $1,500 for a 3,000 cigar tower not including shipping. I would say that's a fair price to pay for such humidor without it being a piece of junk. It won't be as nice as yours or have the customer support, but if I end up not getting a temperature control unit then I guess I won't really need customer support as long as the humidor gets to me safe and sound.

Thanks for posting these pictures, I envy your collection and hope to one day have my humidor looking just as healthy!

Light this! said:
One more thing about the great customer service from Bob Staebell. I emailed him on Thanksgiving day about an issue not related to the humidification system I bought from him along with pictures. He replied to me the next day and told me that he was away and would call me on Monday.

Sure enough I got a call from him and was on the phone for a good 15 minutes answering my questions and coming up with a solution to my problem. I obviously purchased some fans from him but he did not hesitate to help me with my problem.  :thumbs:

So my point is don't just shop for price but quality and some customer service to go with it when you need it!

Edited for spelling.

Hey buddy, thanks for the suggestion. I see that you're from the bx, I have a lot of family there. What is your favorite cigar shop or lounge that you can go and relax a bit?

I like Rosario's Cigars on E. Gun Hill Rd between Hull and Perry. The shop owners name is Francisco. The place is a hole in the wall and a dive but I do enjoy his cigars. My two favorites are his Churchill's and the Tambor. I go there more for the cigars than to hang out although the regulars are pretty cool people.

You can get a real nice QI humidor cabinet for $1500 or less. The 3k count cabinets start at $599. The 5k cabinet is around $1800. A good humidification system will run you a few hundred on top of that.

Light this! said:
I like Rosario's Cigars on E. Gun Hill Rd between Hull and Perry. The shop owners name is Francisco. The place is a hole in the wall and a dive but I do enjoy his cigars. My two favorites are his Churchill's and the Tambor. I go there more for the cigars than to hang out although the regulars are pretty cool people.

Never heard about them, do they only sell handmade cigars made by their shop? I know of two cigar shops that I do enjoy going to in arthur ave. but the issue is that they only sell their own handmade brand, I mean it's a nice change once in a while but some times I feel like having an specific brand and don't have much choice (I don't walk around with cigars with me everyday) and they are about 3 blocks from where some of my family members are located

Rod said:
You can get a real nice QI humidor cabinet for $1500 or less. The 3k count cabinets start at $599. The 5k cabinet is around $1800. A good humidification system will run you a few hundred on top of that.

Thanks Rob, that is exactly what I'm looking for and initially the order I made was for one of those 3k count cabinets made by QI. I read about the good experience you have had with yours and also saw other reviews elsewhere and they were all positive so I decided to go with this brand.

Rod said:
I'm not sure who the mfgr is of that unit, but be careful. Others have tried to design an all in one unit with temp control and failed.  Personally, you're better off buying a larger cabinet and an Avallo humidifier.  IMO, the temp control just isn't worth it, and it's one more thing to break.  

Talk to Tom (BBS) - I think his humi is temp controlled, but it's all aftermarket (if memory serves me right).
There are a few of us that have temperature and humidity controlled humidors. I opted for temperature control in addition to humidity control because of the summer temps here in the midwest. I never had these issues when I lived on the coast. Here in Iowa the inside of my humidor would get into the high 80's if I didn't move it to the basement every summer.

I initially was looking at a humidor by Arlin Liss, but what I was looking for was out of my price range. Arlin recommended that I talk to Bob Staebell. Bob builds a quality humidor to your specs at a more affordable price. Both of these guys are members here and great botl's.