• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reggae

Newfie

Official Lancero Whore
I've been trying to learn something simple like "No Woman, No Cry" on guitar and the beat is driving me nuts. I can't get it through my thick skull that the guitar is always on the off-beat.

Anyone have any hints for me?

one-and two-and three-and four-and. repeat. Guitar players! The bane of my existence. :sign:

Doc.

Must be a drummer, eh??

Yes, the beat is always on the "&" in a 1&2&1&2 .....

But that's what's confusing me. Guess I have to find a drum track to keep me in line.

I used to know a guy who was a hell of a country guitar player and he wanted to learn blues. He would start something in 12 bar blues and before the 2nd verse, it would sound like Hank Snow was playing. What a weird transition. I feel the same with this.

Must be a drummer, eh??

Yes, the beat is always on the "&" in a 1&2&1&2 .....

But that's what's confusing me. Guess I have to find a drum track to keep me in line.

I used to know a guy who was a hell of a country guitar player and he wanted to learn blues. He would start something in 12 bar blues and before the 2nd verse, it would sound like Hank Snow was playing. What a weird transition. I feel the same with this.
I think you're supposed to be playing a one drop on the two and the four, but I'm not a guitar player.

Doc.

Aye mon, in oorder ta plai me sum rastafarian moossic ya gots ta be burnin' sum ganja foorst. Rasta!
laugh.gif

I can read music on base and treble clef, can play the piano and saxphone, but no guitar skills :( . I always wanted to learn though. Let me know how it goes.

4/4 timing
Strum
d u - d - d u - d
1 1 - 1 - 1 1 - 1
8 8 - 4 - 8 8 - 4

What's with the numbers? The "d - u" I understand (basic strum pattern), I know how to read music a little, I can read Tabulature and numbers representing chord progressions (E.g.: 1-4-5 & m-2nd, the very basis of Rock 'n Roll) but where does the 8 come in?? Basically it's the same note as the 1st but an octave higher.

Couple of guys I work with are part of a Hawaiian reggae band. Yep, you read that correctly....Hawaiian Reggae. Complete with the little guitar type things (forget what they are called) and everything. They play a couple times a month at a local blues bar. Lots of fun to listen to.

Bilder, you might be referring to the ukulele, or "jumping flea" a 4-6 string instrument originally from Portugal. In the hands of a big man it looks so small!

Newfie, try and google "no woman no cry bruddah waltah" and listen to this Jawaiian or Jamaican/Hawaiian rendition of Marley's hit song, hopefully you can pick up the chords you need. Good luck.

Couple of guys I work with are part of a Hawaiian reggae band. Yep, you read that correctly....Hawaiian Reggae. Complete with the little guitar type things (forget what they are called) and everything. They play a couple times a month at a local blues bar. Lots of fun to listen to.

I love hawaiian reggae, good stuff. I used to listen to reggae music alot more but haven't in awhile, maybe I need to go find some of those cds under the dust. I need to get out to hawaii, never been, got all my music from fellow military members who were stationed out there.

Sorry don't know how to play the guitar but really want to get my feet wet. My father-in-law is very good but doubt he plays anything reggae, he is more of a christian rock guy