• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reggie White

Maggs44

Former G.B. Packer Reggie White died earlier today from, what Jim Brown called, respiratory failure caused by sleep apnea. When I heard the news, I got tears in my eyes, partly because I was thinking about him last nite. I was watching American Chopper and Mikey pushed his old man into the wall and that reminded me of White... super strong, but not "weight lifting strong", not the muscle building strong, just powerful. I can still see his club move where he gets the tackle off balance and then, seemingly effortlessly, he throws the tackle down with one arm.

Another reason I felt teary (besides me being a Packer fan) is that I too have sleep apnea and am 8 years older than White. Just reminds us on how short life is and how fast we can go.

RIP "Minister of Defense".

Oh man. Sorry to hear about this. Reggie was a class act. Way too young to be dying. I have two friends that suffer from the same problem, and it certainly can kill.

JV

I heard it on the radio. Sorry to see such a great guy go so early. Now someone remind me what sleep apnea is?

He was a definite class act on and off the field. A truly sad day for sports fans and all who knew him. I have sleep apnea as well, guess I need to get mor eserious about thew diet and exercise.

I'm sure someone else will come up with a more medical terminology, the basics are this: a sleeping disorder in which the person stops breathing in their sleep. My friends who have this problem wear special breathing equipment while sleeping which aleviates the problem for the most part.

Sleep Apnea Info

Being a Cowboys fan, Reggie White was always one of those guys you hated the second the game started until the second the game ended, because he was so damn good, but as soon as the helmet came off, you had total respect and admiration for him.

I was blown away when I heard about this today. I definately agree, gone way too soon...

ALostTexan

:( RIP

I am also a Cowboys fan, but a man is a man- and I'm sad to hear about anyone's life being cut short. RIP.

May he Rest in Peace. :(

I too suffer from this Respiratory illness. It can be very hazardous.
I have one of those "breathing machines", also called CPAP (see bottom quote) but I do not use it at all anymore (too much hassle). Upon reading this news, I have decided to wipe the dust off it. :0
Sleep apnea is a serious, potentially life-threatening condition that is far more common than generally understood. First described in 1965, sleep apnea is a breathing disorder characterized by brief interruptions of breathing during sleep. It owes its name to a Greek word, apnea, meaning “want of breath.” There are two types of sleep apnea: central and obstructive. Central sleep apnea, which is less common, occurs when the brain fails to send the appropriate signals to the breathing muscles to initiate respirations. Obstructive sleep apnea is far more common and occurs when air cannot flow into or out of the person’s nose or mouth although efforts to breathe continue.

In a given night, the number of involuntary breathing pauses or “apneic events” may be as high as 20 to 60 or more per hour. These breathing pauses are almost always accompanied by snoring between apnea episodes, although not everyone who snores has this condition. Sleep apnea can also be characterized by choking sensations. The frequent interruptions of deep, restorative sleep often leads to excessive daytime sleepiness and may be associated with an early morning headache.

Early recognition and treatment of sleep apnea is important because it may be associated with irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke.

Nasal continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is the most common effective treatment for sleep apnea. In this procedure, the patient wears a mask over the nose during sleep, and pressure from an air blower forces air through the nasal passages. The air pressure is adjusted so that it is just enough to prevent the throat from collapsing during sleep. The pressure is constant and continuous. Nasal CPAP prevents airway closure while in use, but apnea episodes return when CPAP is stopped or it is used improperly.

Sleep Apnea sux, it sux big

RIP Reggie

I to suffer from sleep apnea. I seem to have turned the corner with it due to the CPAP machine. Anyone with this should see the doctor. This is serious business.

cigarsarge said:
RIP Reggie

I to suffer from sleep apnea. I seem to have turned the corner with it due to the CPAP machine. Anyone with this should see the doctor. This is serious business.
[snapback]152252[/snapback]​

I tired both the cpap and bipap machines and I could never fall asleep with them. I breath though my mouth so I was/am not able to use the small mask that covers just the nose. The large mask that covers both the nose and mouth makes me so claustraphopic (spell?) I just can't fall asleep.

I do have an adjustable bed so I am able to elevate my head which helps alot. I get a much better nights sleep with my head up. So if anyone out there cant sleep with the machine, try an adjustable bed. I even got the insurance company to pay for it (much cheaper then the cpap machine).

Okay I know what it is now. My dad has one of those Cpap machines and uses it regularly. My g/f's dad has one too. I think he stopped breathing like 100 times throughout the night or something like that. It is definitely a life saver

Surprising amount of people here with this. Has anyone looked into if this hobby is a detrimental factor?

I suppose that this hobby could make it worse. However, I had it long before I ever started smoking cigars. Then again, I smoked ciggarettes back then, so that may have been a big factor then. ???

I have a friend who recently had surgery for his sleep apnea. From the description it basically involved shaving down the inside of his throat.. I guess remove the tissue that blocked his airway. Didn't sound like fun, but then again, neither does stopping breathing.

AVB said:
Surprising amount of people here with this. Has anyone looked into if this hobby is a detrimental factor?
[snapback]152357[/snapback]​

Weight is much more of a factor than cigar smoking. To be as basic as I can, the extra fat around the neck area can obstruct the windpipe. The machine sends a constant stream of air that keeps the windpipe open.

As for smoking, I always had problems with my lungs when I smoked cigeretts. I always had problems with morning cough, pflem etc... but with cigars I have not had any lung or breathing problems.

Maybe cigar smokers are generally more heavy? That might be why so many here have it? Just a thought. I know thats why I have it... I am a big guy.

I too am an ex-cigarette smoker. I had a typical smokers cough until I gave up cigaretts. The problems caused by cigaretts in my life seem to be gone now. I notice no ill effects from cigars other than my light wallet. I too am a fairly large guy. The doc said if I lose weight my problem with apnea would lessen. I'm in the process of losing some weight, this time for good. We'll see what happens with the apnea.

My dad has this also... got his machine last year. He fits the bill -- overweight, former smoker (3 packs a day). I did not know how serious it can be, though. Damn, Reggie was only a year older'n me.

Now that you mention the weight thing, I do remember asking the Dr that diagnosed my Apnea if I would always need CPAP, he said "Unless you lose about 100 pounds, yes, you will" :( Since then I have gained about 80 pounds :( :(