• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Regrets? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I typically don't take part in the "what ifs" and "if onlys". But it's 6 days later and I can't stop replaying this in my head.

Doug and I usually get so drunk Thursday that Friday is an absolute klusterfuk. However, last Friday after our first two 9 hole matches we were the leaders of our flight and our third match was against the second-place team..... we were leading by two points and we were playing a couple of our best friends.

There are 19 points available in a match, two points per hole, and 1 point for winning the match. We knew there was a strong possibility that Saturday could be a complete rain out although we didn't know how the club would handle that.

We played our friends on the back nine knowing that if we just halved the match we would be the leaders of our flight.

Doug and I each had a 4 and 1/2 to 5 foot putt on the 15th hole to win that hole and we both missed. I had a 7-foot up hill birdie putt on number 17 with 4 inches of right-to-left break and I would have bet my entire cigar collection that I was going to make it, it was a simple putt. I missed. We lost that match by one hole giving them and 11-8 Point Victory. Now we were one point behind.

Saturday was washed out due to rain and they concluded the matches based on Friday's play.

If you win your flight, you play in a shootout against the other nine flight winners. They played the shootout late Saturday after the rain stopped and our friends won the overall championship.

I don't think I will ever forget those two putts I missed.

Don’t forget em, build on em! Next year, same putt, ya hammer it in! Sorry ya lost, but even the best in the world miss a gimme!

Good luck next time.

Floyd T

No room for regrets here. You knew going into the weekend what your usual actions were, and the annual performance expectations that come along with those actions. Just because the game changed on you doesn't give reason for second guessing anything.

LOL, that sucks, but it happens and you get better from it.

I got to play in our clubs horse-race/shootout two years ago...the whole club drives their carts around and watches, surrounds the green and such, feels like a real crowd and very nerve racking when they announce you at the first tee...anyways, my partner and I played out our ass on the first three holes and advanced to the fourth (2nd to last) hole, we were playing against college coaches, scratch golfers, and another scrub team...well I had a chip uphill to the green, I did not go up the hill and look at how much room I had between rough/fringe/green, well I chipped way short and left it in the first cut and my partner could not salvage that to keep us in it. I will never forget that and will always take those extra steps to look at the land now.

As Bill Murray says, You are not good enough at golf to get mad at it....

LOL, that sucks, but it happens and you get better from it.

I got to play in our clubs horse-race/shootout two years ago...the whole club drives their carts around and watches, surrounds the green and such, feels like a real crowd and very nerve racking when they announce you at the first tee...anyways, my partner and I played out our ass on the first three holes and advanced to the fourth (2nd to last) hole, we were playing against college coaches, scratch golfers, and another scrub team...well I had a chip uphill to the green, I did not go up the hill and look at how much room I had between rough/fringe/green, well I chipped way short and left it in the first cut and my partner could not salvage that to keep us in it. I will never forget that and will always take those extra steps to look at the land now.

As Bill Murray says, You are not good enough at golf to get mad at it....
That's awesome! When I was younger I used to play with an older gentleman who was somewhat of a mentor to me in golf. I was having a bad round one day and aggravated with myself. He walked up, put his arm around me, and said "no need to get upset you're not that good".

We both laughed and I learned a good lesson.

I absolutely love your passion!!! You are the exact partner I want, not only in golf in anything! Even the best fail sometimes, don’t let it get you down brother!!!
Thanks brother!

I don't get upset at my golf game anymore but I do get upset when I lose concentration in the middle of a golf swing. The fact that I cannot maintain concentration for 1 1/2 seconds is frustrating.

I accept the fact that the combination of my age and my desire to keep the ball in play results in the loss of 60 yd off my driver. But it really pisses me off when at the top of my backswing I am wondering what I'm going to have for dinner.😀

Thanks brother!

I don't get upset at my golf game anymore but I do get upset when I lose concentration in the middle of a golf swing. The fact that I cannot maintain concentration for 1 1/2 seconds is frustrating.

I accept the fact that the combination of my age and my desire to keep the ball in play results in the loss of 60 yd off my driver. But it really pisses me off when at the top of my backswing I am wondering what I'm going to have for dinner.😀
You better not lose that concentration when we have our rocking throwing competition, someday!

You better not lose that concentration when we have our rocking throwing competition, someday!
Haha, I forgot about that! Rock-throwing is impulsive and my golf swing used to be automatic and impulsive to but now I have to think about it and that's the problem.😀😀😀😀

life is too short for regrets; we live, we learn, some times we make corrections but I don't abide regrets .......

Just make the damn putt, Sergio!
I've had the yips with the putter for 25 years. I can't even begin to count the number of times people have said to me...... wow if you're putting was as good as the rest of your game you could blah blah blah blah blah......

I used to Simply acknowledge it but now I just say...... your opinion is duly noted, fuck you very much!

I've had the yips with the putter for 25 years. I can't even begin to count the number of times people have said to me...... wow if you're putting was as good as the rest of your game you could blah blah blah blah blah......

I used to Simply acknowledge it but now I just say...... your opinion is duly noted, fuck you very much!
We need to be a scramble team, only thing I do worth a shit is putt. Plus my big handicap always helps.

When you're feeling down, just watch me dig holes and top balls left and right. Thinking the whole time we'll at least I'm not that bad lol.

The first round I ever shot where I kept score I did OK on the 1st 2 holes, a par 5 and a par 4. The 3rd hole was a straight par 3, I topped my tee shot and scorched that thing right up the fairway and about a foot from the hole. Made my birdie to the dismay of the much more experienced guy I was playing with - the guy who insisted I had to keep score.

Went on to shoot a 144. ;)

interesting conversation here: when I was about seven years of age, just one year after I started learning how to shoot a long rifle, my (some what) older brother actually put a putting green in our back yard. o_O We had a very lush, thick, beautiful St. Augustine lawn. I came home from school one afternoon; a day in which my older brother had skipped school. I noticed a fair section of our back lawn was cut down to an extremely low, precise level & then I noticed there was a 'hole' at the south end of the low cut, flat lawn. I asked my brother WTF Dad had done to the lawn & my brother just laughed his ass off & told me, "I did this, not Dad." My brother proceeded to tell me, "it's a putting green." :oops: Well, I was like seven years old & like I know what a putting green is; not. Dad came home a bit later & when Dad saw what my older brother did to our back lawn, Dad was ******* pissed. 🤣
It's not much of a challenge to continually make great putts on the same green but thanks to my brother I quickly become a putting prodigy. Anywhere I went to play I could make great putts. During jr. high school we were fortunate to have access to irons & woods, and hours of time to experiment. We could fire balls 250, 300 yards without a problem. Placing a golf ball in a general area with a wood, or an iron, is not an issue; placing a ball in a precise location with a putter is a completely different matter. Putting is the real part of the game of golf, IMO.

Last edited: