• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reliable reviews (not including Cigar Aficionado)

Matt Holtz

Hi folks,

I'm a newb here so please pardon me if I posted in the wrong place / didn't follow protocol in some way. :) I'm curious if people know of any good, trustworthy review sources like sites, people, etc. who review cigars and rate them. I'm looking for your go-to, top sources. I pay attention to Cigar Aficionado's lists and I like certain youtube channels, but I feel like there's might be a bit of a vacuum in this area. What do you guys think?

Matt

If you stay with us long enough you will see reviews. If you are partial nerd, you can search this site and wish you didn't find the plethora of info contained herein. Take a look within Cigar Forum and you will find things of interest ( perhaps).

If you stay with us long enough you will see reviews. If you are partial nerd, you can search this site and wish you didn't find the plethora of info contained herein.
Thank you. Among other things, I think the thing I'm mainly looking for is a complete rundown for a particular brand (e.g. all of the Bolivars for '23), and it's hard to find something like this because it's all individual sticks from a variety of different years.

Thank you. Among other things, I think the thing I'm mainly looking for is a complete rundown for a particular brand (e.g. all of the Bolivars for '23), and it's hard to find something like this because it's all individual sticks from a variety of different years.

I’ll play along, though I don’t exactly get your point…to partially answer your brand run down quest.

For Cubans:

For New World:

I wish we had a Davidoff Reference pinned on the Forum to differentiate between pre 2015 and post 2015 when they had a major brand overhaul. Davidoff is probably the most confusing NC brand on the market.

As far as other Brand reference, I’ve had good luck piecing things together between Halfwheel and Small Batch Blog. They’ll compare/cover certain releases, lines, and vitolas for regular production and limited/regional editions for both Cuban and New World alike.

Finally, using the Search Function here specifically in the “Reviews” section will help you dial in a lot, especially with what Members have enjoyed over the years.

Good hunting!

Matt, I know it’s not what you want to hear & you’ve probably heard it dozens of times, but you are the only reliable source for reviews.

If I’m going to buy a phone or a car, it’s a little easier to measure and rate things objectively.

But taste, aroma, strength, draw resistance, etc. are so subjective. Reviews can help guide you in a general way, just don’t let them pull you into the trap of group think. I’ve hated lots of popular cigars with high marks and loved some yard gars that get overlooked by many. Enjoy this ride, don’t focus on the destination.

That's a tall task. Kinda like asking where the needle is usually placed in the haystack. That being said, I think it was said before that this site is as good a place as you will find for people, and reviews.

I’ll play along, though I don’t exactly get your point…to partially answer your brand run down quest.

For Cubans:

For New World:

I wish we had a Davidoff Reference pinned on the Forum to differentiate between pre 2015 and post 2015 when they had a major brand overhaul. Davidoff is probably the most confusing NC brand on the market.

As far as other Brand reference, I’ve had good luck piecing things together between Halfwheel and Small Batch Blog. They’ll compare/cover certain releases, lines, and vitolas for regular production and limited/regional editions for both Cuban and New World alike.

Finally, using the Search Function here specifically in the “Reviews” section will help you dial in a lot, especially with what Members have enjoyed over the years.

Good hunting!
Thanks so much, those are great references! I've had a look at Halfwheel previously and I like them a lot. I also watch a channel on Youtube called Stogie Lads that's pretty good, IMO. Small Batch Blog looks fantastic and I'll check them out now. Thanks again!

Matt, I know it’s not what you want to hear & you’ve probably heard it dozens of times, but you are the only reliable source for reviews.

If I’m going to buy a phone or a car, it’s a little easier to measure and rate things objectively.

But taste, aroma, strength, draw resistance, etc. are so subjective. Reviews can help guide you in a general way, just don’t let them pull you into the trap of group think. I’ve hated lots of popular cigars with high marks and loved some yard gars that get overlooked by many. Enjoy this ride, don’t focus on the destination.
I largely agree, but if you compare cigars to the wine industry, for example, they have several benchmark reviewers like Robert Parker, James Suckling, Jancis Robinson, even if you think their reviews aren't very good, which I frequently do. I would do try that with CA, but they don't do nearly enough reviews to even start the conversation about whether their reviews are bad or not :). I try to find smaller reviewers who have similar palates to mine, but it's an uphill battle.

Matt, as I mentioned before, I think you are seeking an answer that doesn't exist. With non-Cuban cigars, a good crop (year) of tobacco could produce everything from great cigars to shitty cigars based on exactly where the tobacco was grown, the factory that aged them, the rollers who rolled them, and what they went through until they are in your hands. Think about your cigars in the hold of ship where temp and RH can be horribly dramatic?

With wine, you can start with a good crop (year) and then pin-point it further by grape and vineyard. With cigars, you simply can't get that detail so a box of Bolivar 2023 could be all over the map. Only when you get to the upper echelon of cigar makers can you really begin to narrow it down.

I think I will go get a Cuban cigar and a glass of Cab.😁