• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reliable reviews (not including Cigar Aficionado)

Thank you. What do you look at for good reviews?
Matt, I mostly have been smoking CC for the last 25 years or so. I really don't read or watch reviews, but CA is definitely advertising dollar driven. If I smoke NC cigars , I basically stick to Padron & Perdomo. Good Luck in your search

Cigar Aficionado is a joke for reliable reviews like CigarStone said. $$$ gets you top reviews!
Not to mention one of the editors Gordon Mott came on here years ago, and stated they only smoke an inch or so of each cigar they review and rate (Except for the connoisseurs corner reviews). How do you judge a cigar after the first inch. Anything Don & Jaime Pepin puts out changes drastically after the first inch as an example.

Not to mention one of the editors Gordon Mott came on here years ago, and stated they only smoke an inch or so of each cigar they review and rate (Except for the connoisseurs corner reviews). How do you judge a cigar after the first inch. Anything Don & Jaime Pepin puts out changes drastically after the first inch as an example.
💯 jfields!

Matt, I mostly have been smoking CC for the last 25 years or so. I really don't read or watch reviews, but CA is definitely advertising dollar driven. If I smoke NC cigars , I basically stick to Padron & Perdomo. Good Luck in your search
Same here, but I also smoke Oliva Serie V and Serie V Melanios on occasions that I'm smoking NC sticks. They're incredible. Padrons are great as well.

I had no idea they were only smoking the first inch. That's utterly stupid. I've gotten such unbelievably different flavors from within the same cigar (not to mention you can notice fill and binder issues) from the first to the final third.

I remember watching a video with Shanken that said they put them down with an inch left. I wonder if Mott misspoke?

I remember watching a video with Shanken that said they put them down with an inch left. I wonder if Mott misspoke?
Nah! I tried to find it, but couldn't. Honestly, I can't remember if it was here he came on and said this, or if it was linked here from a thread on the now defunct Cigar Family Forum. I do remember everyone losing their minds, and him somewhat doubling down on why they do it. This was around 2005 to 2006 and happened before I even joined. So, possibly that changed at CA after he let that cat out of the bag? Especially, considering YouTube video marketing/social media and all wasn't such a huge thing almost 20 years ago.