• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Remember your first box purchase?

A box of anejo will be on my list for next year, I picked up a few this year, might grab a few more tomorrow if any are left.

It was a box of Oliva Series O Maduro Torpedos. Smoked the last one about four months ago and hated to see the end of the box.

Avo Maduro #9s followed very shortly by El Rey Del Mundo Oscuro Robustos..

A box of Cuba Libres from CI in '06. I gave the second to last one to my buddy Matt about a year and a half ago, and smoked the last one myself. Not bad.

A box of La Auroras that kept on top of the fridge before I understood the need for humidification.  That was a long time ago.  ;-)

Bayamos said:
Diamond Crowns......gas was .93 cents a gallon.
How much we're the cigars? I'm interested in the comparison now that you brought up the price of gas.

I wish I could remember back that far.  It was probably a La Aurora or Montesino though, so not something that would stand out.

Not sure. Too long ago (like 37 years). I was a big Villazon fan back then, so it could very well have been El Rey del Mundo Robustos. The tissue wrapped type. They were actually delicious back then. Today's version is a ghost of what they were.

MadMonk said:
Not sure. Too long ago (like 37 years). I was a big Villazon fan back then, so it could very well have been El Rey del Mundo Robustos. The tissue wrapped type. They were actually delicious back then. Today's version is a ghost of what they were.
I've notice that a lot.  I kind of think it may be more that my taste buds have somewhat been desensitized from my years of cigar gluttony.  :whistling:  

First box of cigars was the Vigilante when they went on clearance 6 years ago.

grateful1 said:
PSD4 - Sancho beli's - RyJ Exhibition #4
Do you still smoke the Sancho Beli's and if so how are they? I have always looked to get a box but didn't for some reason.

A box of Monti #2s from the ISOM. Some of my Mom's family was in the Import/Export business in those days. ;)

That was close to 40 years ago.

My first box purchase was not that long ago. A few weeks ago, actually. As I'm quite new to the cigar world, I didn't yet (still don't to an extent) understand the intricacies of purchasing fine sticks. Namely, don't purchase a box of something you've never tried. I found CigarBid (oops..there goes all my extra money) and bid on a box of Erin go Bragh cigars. Irish whiskey infused? Yes please! Got outbid, bid again, etc etc. I'm sure some of you know the routine. Determined not to be outdone, I ended up spending $31 plus shipping on the box. Needless to say I'm not impressed at all. I learned a few things, though:

1. I now understand, first hand, the term "dog rocket"
2. Never purchase a box of something I haven't already tried and liked
3. CigarBid is EVIL!
4. I think I need another job just to support this new hobby

All things considered, though, the lessons I learned were worth every penny. Now I just have to deal with an almost full box of these iffy sticks. I'll probably be smoking these for the next couple years before they're all gone lol

I bought a few boxes of Macanudo Hyde Parks during college for poker nights, but my first serious box purchase when I really got into cigars was a box of Montecristo Sublimes EL 2008 while snowboarding with my brother in Whistler.  I think the box cost my nearly US$600 w/Canadian tobacco taxes and all, but it was well worth it.  They were absolutely fanfuckingtastic cigars.  Loved every single one of them.  Those are the cigars that brought me to the point where I am today.  That reminds me...I need to hunt down some more of these.  

thechenman said:
I bought a few boxes of Macanudo Hyde Parks during college for poker nights, but my first serious box purchase when I really got into cigars was a box of Montecristo Sublimes EL 2008 while snowboarding with my brother in Whistler.  I think the box cost my nearly US$600 w/Canadian tobacco taxes and all, but it was well worth it.  They were absolutely fanfuckingtastic cigars.  Loved every single one of them.  Those are the cigars that brought me to the point where I am today.  That reminds me...I need to hunt down some more of these.  

WOW!...I had no idea that you were a newer cigar smoker. Look how far you've come in such a short time. Very impressive...I've come to respect your opinion on may cigars.  :thumbs:

Yup Gary...I'm a newbie.  Didn't start to seriously smoke cigars until 2008.  Have only spent about a half decade enjoying fine cigars, but in that time I've learned a lot.  After that Monte Sublime I started buying/smoking a large variety of cigars and reading pretty much anything I could find that would educate me about cigars.  What a journey it's been...hard to believe it's still just beginning.  I appreciate your compliment.  I take that as high praise coming from you Gary.  Thanks.   :cool:  

My first was the La Aurora 1495 Churchill's and I still have 2 left!

Here's Greg's thoughts on them, which was pretty spot on. :thumbs:

Padron 1964 Anniversario Maduro, way back in 1998