• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Report on Cuban Peso Cigars

spm248

So a few weeks back I was asking around to find out if anyone had any ideas what Cubans smoked and I got some great information about "Peso Cigars" that you can buy super cheap on the street. Seeing as I got so much help from all of you guys I figured I'd let you know what I found out.

Basically Peso Cigars are a regional pack of cigars subsidized by the Cuban government for the consumption of Cuban Nationals. Each pack costs $25.00 in Moneda Nacional (one peso a stick) which converts to $1.00USD for 25 cigars. Now obviously for that price they can't be anything special. But contrary to what I have read elsewhere I am pretty sure they are hand rolled. I cut one open and it was definitely scrap tobacco not long leaf or anything close, but scrap tobacco in Cuba ain't bad. Plus they draw great! I smoked these constantly during my whole trip and enjoyed the El Sucro's the best.

At different cities different brand were available. In Havana it was the Selectos (which were marked as being made in Holguin). In Trinidad it was the Bauza which were decent (marked as being made in Sancti Spiritus). And my favorites which I bought In Camaguey were the El Sucros which I believe were made in the Camaguey province. These produce a lot of smoke and have a decent flavor. They are very easy to overheat, which makes sense because they aren't long filler. I stayed at a couple of people's houses where they smoked a couple of these different peso cigars. I felt a little bad smoking 6+ dollar habanos around them when a whole pack of their cigars costs only a buck, but almost everyone was really welcoming and warm on the Island.

Anyway here are some pics of the cigars and packaging along with a Bolivar Belicosos Finos for comparison.

4346182881_7506ddb408_b.jpg

4346181865_08ecf4a216_b.jpg

4346925388_db3847e099_b.jpg

4346179951_aafc3430e3_b.jpg

4346178847_a08274a5f9_b.jpg

4346922174_edc7c155b3_b.jpg

4346921264_4f01c7d609_b.jpg

Edited for my terrible spelling.

I smoked a lot of Selectos with my uncle, and enjoyed them very much.

Welcome back. Glad to hear you found them. How was your trip? I think it's great you were able to stay with the locals. It must be a real wake up call to most Americans to actually live like a Cuban national. Hope you had a great time and more pictures of your trip would be great to see.

Wow, I just requested from a co worker to pick me up some Selectos from Holguin (she's staying at playa paradise or something next week) for about 1 CUC. I figured I'd toss up a review if she got them. I'll add some info here if she does bring them back.

Add: from the pictures they don't look much different than JLPs.

One thing I should have mentioned is that you have to kind of look for them in the right spots in Cuba. You won't find any in CUC (tourist money) shops or at resort areas. They are available only in the small, poorly stocked stores that sell shoes, pencils, notebooks, glue, rice, cheap rum in used water bottles etc... to the locals.

Very imformative. Thanks for sharing. Would love to hear more about your trip to Cuba.

These i found them not nearly as good as the cheapest brand name., but for the price, it's still good for a smoke while on the riding lawnmower.

I thought I remember hearing from someone that customs doesn't usually let you take Peso cigars out of the country, did you have any issues? It could have been a bad rumor or bad memory on my part. Something along the lines of tax or receipt or something.

Exactly right Sunward, I used to just stick 4 or so in my shirt pocket and smoke one a bit and toss it, no worries over losing them or busting them up. But now that I am so far from Cuba, I am a little more careful with them ;)

So the thing about customs. I paid close attention the limit that everyone told me 100 cigars without receipt (peso cigars, other off the street cigars) and $2k worth of reciepted habanos.

But....

walking through customs, with a bag of 150 cigars or so, not a single person asked me how many cigars I had or asked to look in the bag (other than x-ray of course).

I was a little shocked, I had my receipts all ready and everything.

Anyway, Cuba trip in general was amazing. Beautiful country and very nice people. If you go I would recommend staying in Casa Particulars (you can find tons of info through a google search or on cuba-junky.com) which are basically people who have licenses to rent out a room or two in their homes to tourists. They are almost all very nice and will run you between $20-$30 a night. They also cook amazing meals and give recommendations on activities etc.

As far as Americans traveling there, I was illegal and I met two other illegal americans and two Americans there legally. I flew straight from Paris and I have not been back in the US since my trip but I do not expect to encounter any problems. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am planning on doing a short write-up for Lonely Planet forums, I'll post a link to that when it's done.

Neither co worker was able to locate any selectos. They were told they were no longer in production but were offered some nice cohibas and RyJs from a guy who's brother steals them right from the factory. :laugh: