• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Responsibility of the FOG's.

The Master

I think a discussion is in order in regards to what the FOG's role is on a cigar BB. In my opinion we are here to help our new BOTL's in their passion for the leaf. Answering dumb questions, putting up with their newbiness, and making them feel comfortable asking any type of question is our duty as old guys.

Going after people, calling them asshats, and making these people feel unwelcome is not what being a FOG is all about. People need to remember we are a group of people that is hated by most of society. Fighting each other over stupid things is not what being a BOTL is about.

I have watched the last 2 days events transpire and I am dismayed by the amount of negative posting towards a few people. I think it is totally uncalled for and it needs to stop. Everyone needs to remember we are in this thing of ours because of our passion for everything that is cigars. Petty bickering over trivial matters is not what we are about. If you have a problem with someone, work it out. Do not try to gather support from your buddies to go after an individual and try and drive them off the board.

Unless someone has been proven to be a thief, or a bad trader, or a bad box passer, I think difference should be worked out like adults. I also think taking shots at someone for their grammar or spelling is the pettiest thing that someone can do to another person. We are not in English class, there are no points given for proper use of the English language. Leave that kind of sh#t off the site.

This is just the opinion of someone who has been on cigar websites since January of 1997, and has seen it all.

Example of a guy stuck in the middle, who is actually an FOG. :)

Harris, I agree with everything you say, but you know as well as I, there are still those people who live to hear themselves talk, or type in this instance. :)

I would like to take this moment to make an analogy that runs concurrent with The Master's post. He and I have not always seen eye to eye on alot of things. I think we've even had a few times where we had somewhat heated exchanges. Bottom line though, it was never taken to heart, on my side anyway and I assume the same applies for him. I have a lot of respect for him as a BOTL, even if he hasn't ever sent me anything in the mail. LOL! I would love to one day sit down and have a smoke with him. The stars just haven't been aligned the right way, for this to happen yet.

I've said this so many times, but it always bears repeating: Respect is a two way street. Treat each other as you would like to treated yourself. This applies to EVERYONE, not just the new guys. Great friends can be made here, don't blow it for each other.

Matt, I would sit down with you anytime and smoke a cigar. Yes we have had some issues in the past,but as you, I never took it personally and have always respected your opinion. People can disagree,there is nothing wrong with it. But taking it too far and trying to gather support to lynch someone over a disagreement is not cool. Lynchings should be reserved for bad traders et al.

I frequent cigar boards because I love cigars and hanging out with cigar smokers; shooting the shit. IMO, there shouldn't be attacks on others unless there is very good reason; like Harris stated above. IMO... Harris is a great example of a true FOG. Even if you ask a very elementary question (that you could of searched for) he still gives you a great answer and never belittles you. He understands what the brotherhood is all about. I believe this is a place where power and hierarchy should be left at the door; this should be a place for the sharing of knowledge, passion, jokes and an overall escape from the stresses of the real world.

Thanks for the post Harris, very well said.

Thanks fellas...really. The turn that things seem to have taken over the past week or so was making me doubt that this place really is as great as I thought it was...and you have just reminded me of why it is.
People here have done me great favors (you know who you are..thanks again!), have sent me great sticks, and I have tried my best to pay it forward.

If more people would remember more often the spirit in TheMaster's and MattR's posts above, we could spend more time enjoying converstion and comraderie, and less time bickering about stupid arguments!

Harris -

I couldn't agree with you more; great post!!!

Patrick

Let's not confuse lynchings with ball-busting though, 'cuz that ain't gonna stop. :D

Matt R said:
Let's not confuse lynchings with ball-busting though, 'cuz that ain't gonna stop. :D
[snapback]299367[/snapback]​

Well, I don't lie kthe way things are run here, and I think they should change...you old guys think you can just push people around...well that's not the way it's gonna be. :laugh:

smokelaw1 said:
Matt R said:
Let's not confuse lynchings with ball-busting though, 'cuz that ain't gonna stop.  :D
[snapback]299367[/snapback]​

Well, I don't lie kthe way things are run here, and I think they should change...you old guys think you can just push people around...well that's not the way it's gonna be. :laugh:
[snapback]299368[/snapback]​

Yeah and I want it all now, F**k putting in time. I don't need a rep.

Master, Matt- Great Posts!! Well stated on both parts.

I made the mistake yesterday of going to some other boards that are frequented by what appears to be several members of CP. I say mistake because I read a lot of things that really got to me; members of CP that spoke differently there than they do here. Things that I would consider contradictory to eachother. Flat out hypocrisy in some cases.

At this point, I'm not sure I know a lot of you like I thought I did. I am starting to see where Matty V is coming from. I hope it changes soon.. ???

I will continue to call out the devisive members here regardless of whether they are ripoff artists or whatever. A few of you and I will be talking soon.

NA

Master I agree with you 100%.

I believe the days of lynching is over here on CP and I think most members will not tolerate it anymore. Folks come here to pass time and not to be told what to say or do. During the last 9 months that I have been on this board I have seen many public castration of newbs for no good reason and I have seen many unsolicited confrontations over silly stuff. I also have witnessed other nwebs were jumping on the bandwagon trying to score brownie points for some reason. I think if you are a newb you should stay away from any drama unfolding unless you are defending your self.

-thx

Great King Rat said:
Master I agree with you 100%.

I believe the days of lynching is over here on CP and I think most members will not tolerate it anymore. Folks come here to pass time and not to be told what to say or do. During the last 9 months that I have been on this board I have seen many public castration of newbs for no good reason and I have seen many unsolicited confrontations over silly stuff. I also have witnessed other nwebs were jumping on the bandwagon trying to score brownie points for some reason. I think if you are a newb you should stay away from any drama unfolding unless you are defending your self.

-thx
[snapback]299397[/snapback]​
Bullshit rat. Show me one lynching of a newb not deserved.

NA

Great post, Master. My thoughts exactly. :thumbs:

We are a community, a family, if you will. And like any family with lots of brothers, the brothers are gonna scrap from time to time. Does that mean they stop caring for each other? Does that mean they stop trying to teach and help each other? I'd like to think not.

And sammy, don't keep us in suspense. Let us know which brothers are on your list.

Great King Rat said:
I think if you are a newb you should stay away from any drama unfolding unless you are defending your self.

Unless it has to do with a bad trading incident, box pass or some other financial transaction, it may be best to swallow your pride and use the tried and true method of ignoring the issue. This is what causes a lot of unrest. Prove to those who think of you in a bad light, that you're not what they say, by becoming a bigger person. Walk away young grasshopper, walk away. :)

Matt R said:
Great King Rat said:
I think if you are a newb you should stay away from any drama unfolding unless you are defending your self.

Unless it has to do with a bad trading incident, box pass or some other financial transaction, it may be best to swallow your pride and use the tried and true method of ignoring the issue. This is what causes a lot of unrest. Prove to those who think of you in a bad light, that you're not what they say, by becoming a bigger person. Walk away young grasshopper, walk away. :)
[snapback]299405[/snapback]​
Walking away just makes for a bigger problem Matty. Get it settled then walk away. Did you wake up another planet this morning? Uranus perhaps?

NA