• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Revolvers

Think about what souldog said. Most of us are worrying about things that go bump in the night. Here is a guy that goes looking for things those exact things nightly. If you are going to lay your life on the line, as much as it miffs me to admit it, deputy dog has more of his azz exposed than any of us, and he is trained to expect an encounter and how to react.

We on the other had don't have that control cause we don't do it 40 hours a week, so I personally would want something that I know I can handle, won't give me a heavy recoil and I can put on target in .5 seconds and still have stopping power. A hollow point at 1700 fps is bad ass.

Of course, this is IMHO.

A little five shot S&W is a great out and about gun, no denying that. My only gripe with it, is that it really is intended for shoot and scoot purposes. Obviously, if I am off duty and something happens, I don't want to get into a running gun battle, nor do I intend to, but I like having my brick of a Beretta 92FS with 15+1 on me. Granted, its a pea shooter of 9mm, so an upgrade is in the near future.

If all you want is something you can jam into someone's ribs, pull the trigger a few times, and then get you or your family to safety, the S&W 2" is a good choice. I know that these little revolvers are capable of hitting steel 25 yards out, but if you think you will be able to do that under a high stress situation with +P loads, you are wrong. I don't care how much you practice, you will be all over the place, it's just how it is.

Though I have no direct experiance with them, I've been eyeballing a Tarus "Judge". It's a .45 revolver that can also shoot a .410 shotgun shell. 2.5" or 3" cylinder with 3" or 6" barrel.

Box O' Truth's take on the "Judge".

After reading that tell me if you still want one,

My take on the whole thing is CRQuartro's "if you think you will be able to do that under a high stress situation with +P loads, you are wrong. I don't care how much you practice, you will be all over the place, it's just how it is." That being said, get what is comfortable for you to carry and something you can AFFORD to practice with. The debate constantly rages about what gun is best/better for carry...at the end of the day the take home point is not what you shoot with, it is where the lead lands. You nor I will never be William Bonney, a concealed carry weapon is meant to protect you and yours, which more likely than not will be the aforementioned shoot and scoot.

There have been numerous reports of people being shot multiple, times and still resisting arrest.
Firearms Tactical Ammo Info

Self Defense Ammo Info from Ar15.COM

If all you want is something you can jam into someone's ribs, pull the trigger a few times, and then get you or your family to safety, the S&W 2" is a good choice. I know that these little revolvers are capable of hitting steel 25 yards out, but if you think you will be able to do that under a high stress situation with +P loads, you are wrong. I don't care how much you practice, you will be all over the place, it's just how it is.

Charlie, I can't agree more. Stress, fatigue, all of that plays into it. As you know, I carry my P200SK ("the Jack Bauer gun" for you folks playing at home :rolleyes: ) off duty, because I have a few mags for it, and it holds 10+1. Now, granted I can hit paper at 25+ with it, but that doesn't mean I can pull off a Jack Bauer headshot at 100 yards like he can. What I DO like about it is that it's a pretty good weapon system in case I get stuck into an active shooter situation where, frankly, you really have no choice but to pull up your bootstraps and engage until the blue guys get there.

My revolver is awesome as a "belly gun" if I have to get close and personal, but other than that I wouldn't carry it alone because I don't like only having 5 rounds. There was a story of a Deputy in Palm Springs back in 89(?) I believe that was at a Circuit City when a lone deranged pissed off boyfriend came in with an assault rifle, grabbed his girlfriend (who worked there), and declared to all the world that he was going to punch her dance card. This fine motivated Deputy decided that he's gonna grab his 5-shot S&W .38 +P super-motivated-dedicated peashooter revolver and go up against this guy who happens to be holding a fully automatic death dealer with a full banana magazine in the well. Needless to say, firefight ensues, ol' boy runs out of ammo fairly quickly, and the girl is killed and the Deputy gets shot 13 times. Luckily he wasn't paralyzed, but he couldn't get out of the hospital bed for 1 1/2 years.

The moral of the story I took away is this: Bring the right weapon to the right fight. Nowadays these pukes don't give two shakes about you or your family, and they won't hesitate to accomplish whatever goal they have set in their mind. Never set out to engage a bad guy if you have a way out to safety, because you've got to think about your family first, and being a good witness second.

I recently bought a couple of small revolvers for my wife as a back up to her Glock 26. At first, I bought the S&W 642 .38. My wife had trouble with the trigger pull and it was a bit stiff. I decided to keep that one and then bought her a Ruger LCR in the same caliber. The trigger breaks much nicer on the LCR and she is happy with that one. Both of them were equipped with the Crimson Trace grips so she would be able to shoot from a defensive posture without having to worry about a "proper" aiming posture.

After having shot both the S&W 642 and the Ruger LCR, I would buy the Ruger again.

Again... .327 magnum.

Hits harder than the .38 and 9mm and has less recoil than the .357

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Ruger+SP101.327+Magnum?packedargs=pagenum%3D1

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-327.htm

Get your wife a Taurus 38 special ultralite hammerless titanium. You will end up liking it yourself.

BTW, 1 in the chest and 1 in the head will halt any assailant.