• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RFID Credit card.

Scap

Just had my old reliable credit card expire, and a new RFID version showed up in the mail a week or so ago.

Didn't take but two days before that account ended up with a dozen fraudulent Netflix charges on it. The only thing that smells funny about the timing of the theft is that the new cards are RFID...

So, that being said, new cards have been issued. Again, with RFID, so does anyone use any of the Faraday cage wallets to block the RFIDs from getting picked up?

If you do, is it the whole wallet or just a sleeve over the card?

What about your passport? Are you blocking the RFID in it, too?

Not trying to be a tin foil hatter, but seems like a huge security flaw to have our cards and passports respond to an RF signal without our involvement.

My wallet blocks RFID “supposedly” It’s a minimalist design (read not a folding type) I hate those.

Where do you think your card is getting scanned? I've had two RFID cards in my wallet for close to two years, and never had any fraudulent activity.

Where do you think your card is getting scanned? I've had two RFID cards in my wallet for close to two years, and never had any fraudulent activity.

I feel like it got scanned somewhere before it was in my possession, but it got me thinking.

jbfurdog is right; chipped cards aren't RFID cards. There is quite a difference. Though, chipped cards still have a magnetic stripe.....and I got hit with a skimmer card scam at a gas station near us. Folks at the card company were great, they told me gas stations account for the large majority of skimmer crimes.

Card is chipped, but also has the RFID antenna built in.

Gonna go read the link posted above...

My Chase bank cards are getting replaced with Chip/Pin/RFID models. No issues yet, not really worried too much about fraud since I have quite a few cards if one is compromised. Its just a bit of a pain, but not an emergency. This discussion has me thinking about a blocking wallet... RFID is inherently open and non-encrypted, so anyone with a reader and closer than 1 foot can potentially read your card. That article's message of security through obscurity is a shit argument.

jbfurdog is right; chipped cards aren't RFID cards. There is quite a difference. Though, chipped cards still have a magnetic stripe.....and I got hit with a skimmer card scam at a gas station near us. Folks at the card company were great, they told me gas stations account for the large majority of skimmer crimes.
Mine are RFID.

Identifying Signs for RFID Chips

While some credit cards, such as certain versions of the American Express Blue Card, actually have a visible RFID chip, most do not. Many are marked with the RFID signal, which consists of four nested curved lines, much like the symbol for Wi-Fi wireless networking. Others will have a logo or text marking bearing the words "PayPass," "Blink," "payWave" or "ExpressPay."
1554227201670.png

I carry an Alpine wallet that says it is RFID safe. No issues so far.

Identifying Signs for RFID Chips

While some credit cards, such as certain versions of the American Express Blue Card, actually have a visible RFID chip, most do not. Many are marked with the RFID signal, which consists of four nested curved lines, much like the symbol for Wi-Fi wireless networking. Others will have a logo or text marking bearing the words "PayPass," "Blink," "payWave" or "ExpressPay."
View attachment 25831

Mine has that now.

Thought maybe this thread needed an option for an RFID wallet. I have zero affiliation with the maker of this wallet but thought I would post the wallet I've carried for probably 3+ years. Many of my friends have also switched to it and love it. I had a Trayvax wallet before this and loved it also but for the money this one is just as good.

https://www.amazon.com/MINIMALIST-A...keywords=roco&qid=1554384371&s=gateway&sr=8-1