• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rh issues

I have tried the two way humidification packs with no success.  To give an idea of the humidity where I am, the bead pucks and jars I am currently using have not needed a recharge in several months.

oke&coke said:
I have tried the two way humidification packs with no success.  To give an idea of the humidity where I am, the bead pucks and jars I am currently using have not needed a recharge in several months.

Have you considered setting up a winadore?
I really think that might be your best bet in an area
so humid.
One of the main reasons I'm getting
one is so that I don't have to keep my cigars
in the basement all year.

Beads x 2 - they remove as well as add. When they get too saturated a hair dryer will dry them out.

Just picked up a Vissani wine fridge.  It's a 50 bottle count, 1 year old and cost $50 off craigslist.  Just got it plugged in and filled with empty boxes.  Will probably put in a fan and decide later if I will go with beads or active.

The Burn Ward said:
Sorry for being late to the party. A dry boveda(s) works well to regulate humidity.
That is actually a good idea. I rehydrate them all of the time so I know for a fact they absorb humidity from the atmosphere. I have tried getting beads to do the same thing. Didn't take a drop, even after weeks. 

MadMonk said:
Sorry for being late to the party. A dry boveda(s) works well to regulate humidity.
That is actually a good idea. I rehydrate them all of the time so I know for a fact they absorb humidity from the atmosphere. I have tried getting beads to do the same thing. Didn't take a drop, even after weeks. 
Did you dry them as they became saturated?

To diapanos, the OP: Your original and follow-up posts suggest that the foot locker (is this the 500-stick Havana Foot Locker?) was probably open for a few minutes at a time, long enough to let the humidified air inside the humidor escape and be replaced by drier air.  Any humidification device including beads (which I like a lot) will need time to replace all that lost moisture.  Assuming your hygrometer is accurate (or you know the necessary "offset"), you may see the RH rise slowly over several days as the humidification source, humidor lining and cigars all release moisture into the micro-climate inside the humidor.  Your posts suggest that the foot locker is far from full -- with cigars, I mean, although Spanish cedar cigar boxes are nearly as good for buffering humidity.  That means you have a lot of air inside to rehumidify, and that includes the air inside the cigar boxes themselves.  You can help things along by adding humidification devices, but be patient; it takes time for both cigars and wood to completely re-humidify all the way through.  

To oke&coke in Honolulu: Since you have the opposite problem, dry uncooked rice will certainly help but dried-out Bovedas or Heartfelt beads might work even better ... and you won't end up with rice that smells and tastes like the inside of your humidor. :)  With beads and Bovedas, perhaps they'll absorb enough humidity that they can then be used to maintain the humidor's micro-climate where you want it without recharging them first; and you can always dry them out with a hair dryer if necessary, while the blowing air would just scatter rice everywhere. 

CamoSutra said:
To diapanos, the OP: Your original and follow-up posts suggest that the foot locker (is this the 500-stick Havana Foot Locker?) was probably open for a few minutes at a time, long enough to let the humidified air inside the humidor escape and be replaced by drier air.  Any humidification device including beads (which I like a lot) will need time to replace all that lost moisture.  Assuming your hygrometer is accurate (or you know the necessary "offset"), you may see the RH rise slowly over several days as the humidification source, humidor lining and cigars all release moisture into the micro-climate inside the humidor.  Your posts suggest that the foot locker is far from full -- with cigars, I mean, although Spanish cedar cigar boxes are nearly as good for buffering humidity.  That means you have a lot of air inside to rehumidify, and that includes the air inside the cigar boxes themselves.  You can help things along by adding humidification devices, but be patient; it takes time for both cigars and wood to completely re-humidify all the way through.  

Yeah it's the 500 cigar goot locker.
It was actually stuffed to the gills when I posted that.
Right now though it is fairly empty - maybe 75 cigars at most.

And I'm havimg the same isdue all ober again.
Rh refuses to stay up above 55%