• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ribs!

theronray

Remember, Remember, the 5th of November
Smoking ribs for a family get together to celebrate my son's birthday.  Will update with more pics as they cook.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11824]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11823]

I've never seen ribs smoked that way, let us know how they turn out.

Looks fantastic! I'm in the process of cooking up some ribs myself, hope you guys enjoy!

Just flipped & basted them.  They should be ready to go in <3 hours now.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11825]

I'll let you know the final outcome & them reviews (good & bad) I receive.

I didn't get a chance to take a pic of the finished product, but after 6.5 hours on the smoker, they turned out delicious.

As for the method, I only smoke my ribs, never have grilled them.  Any questions, I'll gladly answer them & tell you my procedure, rub & all.

I'm guessing they were were referring to rolling them up on skewers.  Its a great method if you are short on grill real estate.  Rib racks are nice to.  Is that a Weber Smokey Mountain you are working on?  I love mine, but have been dreaming about Masterbulit Electric Smoker for some reason.  Oh, now I remember.  I'm lazy!

Yep, I've never seen them cooked rolled up like that. Makes sense, grill space wise.

Satchma, good eye.  That is the WSM.  I've had it for about 10 years now.  I've never had a problem with it at all.  I'd love to upgrade, but when I do, I'm going all out, & I don't have the funds for that type of smoker yet!

I have never used the rib racks, only rolled them up with skewers.  I've heard people swear by using racks, but I've always had good results just rolling them.

theronray said:
Satchma, good eye.  That is the WSM.  I've had it for about 10 years now.  I've never had a problem with it at all.  I'd love to upgrade, but when I do, I'm going all out, & I don't have the funds for that type of smoker yet!

I have never used the rib racks, only rolled them up with skewers.  I've heard people swear by using racks, but I've always had good results just rolling them.

I have a rib rack.  It is more of a pain to clean than skewers.  You have to split your rack in half to fit them on a 18.5" WSM also.  The skewers are great.

Satchmo said:
I'm guessing they were were referring to rolling them up on skewers.  Its a great method if you are short on grill real estate.  Rib racks are nice to.  Is that a Weber Smokey Mountain you are working on?  I love mine, but have been dreaming about Masterbulit Electric Smoker for some reason.  Oh, now I remember.  I'm lazy!
I bought an MES a couple seasons ago, I partnered it up with the A-MAZE-N Pellet tray, and can't say enough good things about it.  It really is a great smoke without alot of tinkering around also allows me to do some cold smoking which I really have grown to enjoy.  (Lox and Cheeses).  

If your on the fence, grab one you will not regret it.  

I've got a cookshack electric smoker. http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/Smokette-Original-Model-SM009-2

It's airtight, so meat does not dry out, or need regular tending when cooking. The insulated walls make the outside cool to the touch, and the unit less problematic when cooking in colder temps. I'll put a butt roast on at 10pm before going to bed set the desired temp and never check on the roast once before taking it off the next day around lunch time. Comes out perfect every time. Chickens and Prime Rib roast are amazing out of this thing. Cold smoking salmon and sausages are easy as well. :)

Greggj77 said:

I bought an MES a couple seasons ago, I partnered it up with the A-MAZE-N Pellet tray, and can't say enough good things about it.  It really is a great smoke without alot of tinkering around also allows me to do some cold smoking which I really have grown to enjoy.  (Lox and Cheeses).  

If your on the fence, grab one you will not regret it.  

Interesting.  The MES seemed like a decent unit, but a lot people mentioned the chip tray needs to be filled frequently.  That Cook Shack smoker looks like a beast as well.

I've never been a fan of chips or pellets.  I've always preferred chunks to them.  But I also have a unlimited supply of pecan, cherry, apple, & oak trees to use.  It seems the pellets/chips would burn too quickly & not smoke for long enough to penetrate the meat.  But that's just my personal opinion, I have friends who use chips & say they work just fine.

Honestly, since I bought the A-MAZE-N pellet tray i use that almost exclusively.  I can get @ 4 hours of Steady smoke out of it so at times in can be difficult for longer smokes but, the efficiency and ease of use offsets the 3-4 times a year I smoke beyond the 4hr marker.  Plus I always find myself checking on it every few hours anyhow so throwing another row or two of pellets haven't been an issue.  Guess it depends on what your cooking. 

Cook Shack looks like a great unit as well.  Either way your in for a treat.