• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ring Gauge

StogieWear

Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em
So I normally prefer a robusto size cigar, in that 50 - 54 RG. if it is a torpedo I can go a little bigger, but too big is uncomfortable to smoke for me. I also never really was a fan of smaller ring gauge sticks.
One of the smokes in my SS package was a Punch Coronations, which I believe is a 42 RG. I actually really enjoyed this smoke. Aside from being a great smoke flavor wise and a perfect burn and draw, the size was fine. I may look around for some other smaller sticks, especially for times when you want a quick smoke.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for not only send great sticks but now changing my mind on smoking some smaller gauge cigars.

Dave

I used to be the same. Torpedo’s and Robusto’s were my go to. Nowadays, I really gravitate toward Corona & Lancero formats. I feel like the wrapper profile is more pronounced.

I have a friend that admitted the same thing, but refuses to smoke Lancero cigars because he feels like he’s “smoking a girlie cigar.” 😅

I’ve never been a fan of cigars over 52. I’ll smoke them and enjoy them if gifted, no doubt. But I typically stick to the 38-50 range whenever possible. Welcome to the dark side 😎

When I was smoking ( hope to resume someday) I always preferred a larger gauge. Usually around a 56 to a 60.

When I eas a kid, I had chronic bronchitis for several years in a row. 7 years ago I came down with COPD. They told me it had nothing to do with cigar smoking. For the last 2 months my COPD has been kicking my ass. My new meds are helping, so we shall see. My pulmonologist is a casual cigar smoker, so I always bring him a few good cigars. Last time this happened it was almost 3 years before he gave me the ok for 1 a week. So now I just drink a little more & deal with it. I chew on a cigar every so often & then toss it:

The sweet spot for me is from 48 to 52. As they get bigger I think the wrapper leaf plays less of a role in the flavor just due to the larger mass of filler and binder tobacco. In addition to me getting a more appealing flavor I also find the smaller gauges burn more evenly, but that’s just me. Your mileage may vary.

I smoke all different sizes and ring gauges. I'll get on a streak for a bit, where I may smoke more of one size or ring gauge but I'll still have others as well. Last summer I had a streak of of Gordos for a bit, I smoked through about 3 boxes for my first morning cigar and followed it up usually with a robusto, toro, or solomon. I then switched to a churchill for my first cigar of the day for a few boxes.

I usually go with anything in the low 40s to a 50ish rubusto/toro. Anything larger and end up ditching it because I've had enough by the final 3rd.

I like the complexity of flavors possible in a big ring gauge but I must admit I've been steered towards some damn fine lanceros since coming onboard cigarpass.