• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel construction sucks

theroberthogan

What is this fresh hell?
I’m not the kind of guy who cares too much about construction of a cigar. As long as I like the flavors I can live with a burn that is a little uneven or minor flaws in a wrapper. But Rocky Patel has gone too far in terms piss poor construction as of late.

First there was the Vintage 1990 that would not stay lit despite multiple relights. That was followed by the Decade that literally blew up on me. Then there was the other Decade were the wrapper came completely off the cigar. Following that was the Sungrown that had no draw despite burning perfectly. Tonight I tried to smoke an Indian Tabac and the burn was two inches lower on one side than they other.

As much as I like the flavors of Rocky Patel’s cigars, I’m afraid the consistent construction issues I’ve had over the last four months have been too distracting for me to enjoy them anymore. No more RPs for me till they get their act together.

Where are you getting them, and how are you storing them?

Rocky's had a few quality control issues in the past, but they've been related to flavor, not construction---primarily leaf of the same type but grown on a different field being substituted, to poor effect, in both the Edge and the Sungrown.

His earliest (Indian Tabac) and latest (Decades, Summer, Renaissance, et all) blends I can't really comment on, but I almost always have a couple of his main lines in my humi and smoke 1-2 RP cigars every month or two on average, and have for years now. And I can honestly say I've never encountered a construction problem in a single stick from him.

~Boar

Yep, same as the NotNiceguy said, have you been smoking these off the shelf of your local B&M and they don't store their cigars very well? Or perhaps not allowing them to rest in your perfectly controlled home humidor after the UPS guy drops them off?

Just a thought, but I also wouldn't put it beyond RP cigars in general to have construction issues.

Where are you getting them, and how are you storing them?

I've gotten all of these from two different B&Ms and two different online cigar retailers. I've been storing them in my everyday humi 68-72% humidity just like all of my other cigars that I have not experienced construction issues with.

At first I thought I was doing something wrong, now I'm convinced that Rocky Patel is more interested in quantity than quality, IMHO.

RP is one of my favorite all-around brands, I've enjoyed both Vintages, the Double Maduro, the Fusion, Conneticut, and also the Decade and have never had a problem with construction/quality whatsoever. Rocky is pretty hardcore about quality control also, his turnover rate for 2nds is astonishing, so maybe you've had some bad luck with RP.

Like Gonz said, don't put it past other brands also ... I've had a couple of Gurkhas which PO'ed me and literally fell apart and exploded. You live in the East as I do, so humidity is a bigger problem for us then others.

All the best

Nick

WOW sorry to hear that Bob. Maybe you have just had some bad luck recently. I haven't smoked many RP recently, but I did have a Vintage a could of weeks ago with no issues. I wonder if the RP's don't do as well at higher RH. I have been storing mine around 65. :(

I never have less than 20 RP Edge Maduros in my humi, a few sungrowns, and some Old World's and one of the things I love about them is they burn razor sharp. I rarely have to touch them up.

the Edge maddie is one cigar I smoke a lot and I have never had a problem with the burn rp

Rocky is my go to for a long golf game....have not had any construction problems.

Not that I'm heavily invested in Rocky Patel or his line of cigars or anything, but I'm guessing you've just had some bad luck. If, besides the issues you've had with these latest cigars, you otherwise really enjoy his lines then I would suggest not giving up. I'm sure there's folks out there that have had the exact same issues and bad luck with other brands when others of us have had nothing but perfectly rolled, great cigars.

Sounds like your stick could need a bit more time in the humidor that is running correctly. Like others, the RP's I've smoked are consistent, an never need a retouch. And lets not forget this stuff is hand made and Quality Control cannot look at every cigar.

Since I moved my coolers to 65% I've had way less burn and draw issues with all of my cigars. You might want to try moving your humidity down, and let new cigars sit for a couple of weeks.

Keith

I can't believe that you had construction issues with the Decade. That is the most well made cigar he makes I think. I definately think it was on the retailer or you just happened to get 2 bad apples.

I dont really have many issues with RP. Its Fuente that tends to give me a hard time. But god I love em

Yesterday I was in the local B&M and one of the regulars I know was smoking an ITC (not sure which one). Within the first 1/2" the entire wrapper started unraveling! I know it was humidified and cut properly. It sure was an ugly sight to see parts of the wrapper hanging off the cigar.

I just needed to vent about these cigars. They were smokes that came from different sources (a couple from different online retailers, a couple from different B&Ms) and they all had been stored in my humi at 68% for at least three weeks before being smoked. I was just surprised that so many sticks at construction problems in such a short time frame.

In fairness, during that same time frame I had a Vintage 1990 and a Connecticut that burned fine with no problems. I've got three more RPs in my humidor right now that I will age over the winter before trying them again. Thanks for the input guys.

I actually just had a problem with the burn on my Edge the other day. And I'm also not someone who really cares about construction or burn, but this was a little too much. I don't know what RP's problem was, I've had other smokes from him and liked them all I just think this was a one time deal, but quite a bad one.

Just smoked most of a box of RP SG without one of them having a problem.

Just finished a Vintage 1992, minor problem with the wrapper starting to unravel, but I was able to burn past it, practically to nub the cigar. I've got one more RP in the humi (an Edge maduro) so we'll see how it goes.

Ive always had issues with RP construction. Decades, ITC's, haven't had a perfect burn on one in quite some time.