• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Roll call for the hunters out there....

jfields

Where did all my money go?
Cigarstone & I are interested in hearing from the hunters on CP. We want to know what you like to hunt. Where you hunt. As well as your favorite method, ie: bowhunting, shotgun, etc.... Include your most memorable experience outside.

Hey Gents,I am a huge waterfowl hunter. I mostly hunt private lakes and some flooded timber. I just moved to Houston, cant wait to hunt the feilds around here. I have a place in Navoro (sp) county, there are few deer, but I have shot some 225lbs and up hogs. There are tons of them, we have two 6ac lakes, last year was my first time to ever shoot trips (triples). A few years ago I bought my first black lab, after all the $ I spent, Duke has become my pride and joy.

Dove, Pheasant, Quail, Turkey, Deer, Rabbit, pretty much anything that has a season in Kansas, I'd like to get into waterfowl, but I have neither dog nor boat. For birds I use a poor man's Benelli I use anything from slugs to my 700pss target rifle for big game, including an old Russian M38. I'm also an avid reloader. :D .

Billy

Bowhunt for whitetail in North Central Indiana mostly. (and the occasional squirl that annoys me when I'm hunting!)

Best experience was my first hunt with my dad. Had a buck and two deer running straight at me and I thought they were coming out of the woods, not the field behind me. They could have run me over! Dad saw the whole thing and was laughing when he walked up. I moved about 300 yards away and 30 minutes later droped my first deer! I had to walk back to where he was hunting and he didn't believe me!

The whole day dad and I spent together walking through the woods and it was/is one of my best memories. Nothing beats spending time outdoors with family.

Used to bowhunt quite a bit up in South Alabama. Deer and, occassionally, I would go after boar (though not with a bow).

Now, when I'm not spearfishing or just line fishing, I love to hunt waterfowl as well. Usually head out to Nebraska or down to Argentina. Some great hunting down in Argentina.

Most memorable?...wow...that's quite a few. Really too many damn good experiences to narrow it down to just one. My last trip to Argentina however was among my favorites.

Pennsylvania..............Rabbit & Pheasant with 870 Wingmaster or Stoeger Condor I Over & Under; Deer with Remington 7600 30-06 or Ruger M77 Mark II 243 or Savage Model 99F 300 Savage, or marlin model 336A 30-30, or Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Magnum and believe it or not a 1921 Winchester Model 94 Saddle Ring Carbine

Ohio...............Deer with Winchester Model 1300 Slug gun or Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Magnum

New Mexico...............Mule Deer and Elk with the 30-06

Didn't like the day I got shot!

Edited for content.................

Hello fellow hunters, I live and hunt in prime habitat for elk, mule deer, coues deer, javelina, turkeys, and various small game. I hunt anything that I am lucky enough to get a tag for. Got a nice muley buck last season and a turkey. Just found out no elk hunt again this year like last. Been trying for 12 years for an antelope tag with no luck.

I like my .45/70 high wall and peep sights for big game, handgun for javelina, .223 for turkeys.

Like many, most memorable was my first buck in Alabama many years ago.

If anyone plans to hunt North AZ, I would be glad to hand out some free advice. Application for fall deer, turkey, and javelina is
still coming up in May. Elk and Antelope already done for this year. Game and Fish raised the fees to a pretty ridiculous level this year for just about everything though.

I hunt waterfowl. I live in Fl. but do my hunting in Louisburg or Belhaven NC.

My most memorable moment would have to be Thanksgiving two years ago when four of us were in a swamp and the morning flight was over for the most part. We were looking for a few birds the dog couldn't find and my son looks at me and says Dad here comes some ducks. Well there were three woodies that came right over us, I shot three time and never drew a feather, my son shoots twice and kills a beautiful drake, which was his first kill in flight. I have never seen him so proud of something. That is something I will never forget, and he wont let me forget. That duck now resides on the wall.

Robby

That's what it's all about! A father proud of his own and, one of his own proud and beaming. Sharing a coming of age moment together. :thumbs:

My most memorable moment would have to be Thanksgiving two years ago when four of us were in a swamp and the morning flight was over for the most part. We were looking for a few birds the dog couldn't find and my son looks at me and says Dad here comes some ducks. Well there were three woodies that came right over us, I shot three time and never drew a feather, my son shoots twice and kills a beautiful drake, which was his first kill in flight. I have never seen him so proud of something. That is something I will never forget, and he wont let me forget. That duck now resides on the wall.

Robby

i like to hear turkeys and ducks go THUNK in the truck, as well as grouper and cobia

Love hunting deer here in NW Missouri. They seem to be everywhere..corn fields, bean fields, the middle of the road at night..etc..

That's about all the four-legged hunting I do anymore. Last year I used the usual 7mm mag STW. It does it's job across these long fields. My brother went with me last year and took a little .223 WSSM (Winchester Super Short Mag)...that was an interesting cartridge. It was flat and fast, but never once made it all the way through any of the deer he had harvested last year. He was using a silver colored ballistic tip with a black bullet. My brother seemed to like it though, and got very agitated when I offered the follow up shot on one that almost made it to the river bank. :sign:
I may not have the best relationship with the old folks', but I sure do love hunting with my brother.
This year I'm gonna try the new .300 Rem Ultra Mag (model 700 XCR). If anyone needs any meat towards the end of the year just give me a shout.

-BB

edit for spelling and others

Robby

Outstanding story brother. :thumbs:

Strictly bowhunt in Colorado. Hunt for deer and elk, basically when I get drawn!

I've hunted everything in North America, except large bears, sheep and goats. I only hunt upland birds now with English squires, much more civilized. :cool: :laugh:

Doc.

I've hunted just about everything there is to hunt in Utah but upland birds are my main interest. Pheasant, Grouse, Quail, Doves and the occasional Chukar. For me there's nothing like hunting birds over a couple of Pointers. I also enjoy hand-gunning for Deer and Antelope.

As Bill knows, in Canada, handguns are not permitted for hunting. Also, Rifles are not permitted for turkey (but bow is allowed). Muzzle loader is popular for deer (50 cal.) or shotgun season twice a year in Nov and Dec. We are sitting on 65 acres, plus many farms around, so no shortage of deer. Lots of wild turkeys here too (usually use a bow).

Lot of bowhunters here. My buddies and I got started on bow because it was so hard to get a rifle elk tag. About once every seven years is what is guaranteed. Bow was a lot easier to get a tag and once we started we have never gone back. So much more challening and fun.

Big time fisherman and big game hunter. I try to fish every weekend in the summer months (both saltwater and freshwater). If you ever need some of the best fishing rigs available for northeast coast gamefish... AngryFish rigs "never let 'em get away!" [insert shameless plug] We have been making rigs for over 40 years for Blues, Blacks, Stripers, Fluke, Flounder and the elusive eat 'em all day Porgys. [end shameless plug]

Also a deer hunter in CT and NY using bow, gun and muzzleloader. Going to go for trophy gators this year in FL using only a baithook and bang stick.

Love hunting deer here in NW Missouri. They seem to be everywhere..corn fields, bean fields, the middle of the road at night..etc..

That's about all the four-legged hunting I do anymore. Last year I used the usual 7mm mag STW. It does it's job across these long fields. My brother went with me last year and took a little .223 WSSM (Winchester Super Short Mag)...that was an interesting cartridge. It was flat and fast, but never once made it all the way through any of the deer he had harvested last year. He was using a silver colored ballistic tip with a black bullet. My brother seemed to like it though, and got very agitated when I offered the follow up shot on one that almost made it to the river bank. :sign:
I may not have the best relationship with the old folks', but I sure do love hunting with my brother.
This year I'm gonna try the new .300 Rem Ultra Mag (model 700 XCR). If anyone needs any meat towards the end of the year just give me a shout.

edit for spelling