• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rumors of Castro's death sweep Miami-Dade

moki

el Presidente
Apparently, these rumours happen rather often, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

My personal opinion is that as soon as Castro dies, the US will use that as an excuse to lift the trade embargo, whether or not the conditions/government in the country actually change all of that much. It's all about saving face.... and too many businesses have their eyes set on Cuba for the USA to ignore it.

Rumors of Castro's death sweep Miami-Dade -- again
Herald Staff Reports

Uncorroborated rumors that Cuban President Fidel Castro had died or suffered a stroke buzzed around Miami-Dade County on Friday, with anxious callers inundating police departments, media outlets and exile groups.

''We've gotten hundreds of calls, mostly from the media, but also from our own officers and some members of the public,'' said Miami-Dade police spokesman Randy Rossman. ``At this point, we are not mobilizing anyone for anything special at this time.''

The latest rumor -- something that has occurred frequently over the years -- appear to have been spawned from comments published Wednesday from Luis Eduardo Garzón, the leftist mayor of Bogota, Colombia. He said that Castro appeared to be ''very sick'' during their talks in late December.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez met with his friend Castro in Cuba on Wednesday, Cuban state television reported, without offering details of the visit.

One senior exile community leader said he was contacted by a CIA official Friday to ask what he knew about it.

A foreign correspondent in Havana took a precautionary drive past Castro's offices in the Palace of the Revolution Friday afternoon and reported that all seemed normal.

Officials at the Cuban American National Foundation said many of the 100-plus callers who phoned their Miami office said they saw or heard about something on TV that suggested Castro might have suffered a stroke or worse.

''It's a rumor that started yesterday,'' CANF executive director Joe Garcia said Friday afternoon. ``It's wishful thinking. I don't have anything on it. But it's gotta be right some time.''

Then we could finally bring in the good stuff legally!! WOOOHOOO! :D I'll keep my eyes and ears posted to the TV and radio today and let you guys know tonight what's the reality of this rumor. If it's true, it will be all over the local radio and TV shows.

cigah_smoka said:
Then we could finally bring in the good stuff legally!! WOOOHOOO! :D I'll keep my eyes and ears posted to the TV and radio today and let you guys know tonight what's the reality of this rumor. If it's true, it will be all over the local radio and TV shows.
Yep! The downside is that (for Americans at least) Cubans will no longer have that "hard to get and semi-illegal" cache associated with them, and will be judged mostly on their merits. I for one thing that Padrón, Arturo Fuente, and other non-Cuban makers will give them one hell of a run for their money (and they'll likely open up shop in Cuba too :) )

Do keep us informed, interested to hear what the reality of thus rumour is.

cigah_smoka said:
Then we could finally bring in the good stuff legally!! WOOOHOOO! :D
I'm not certain, but I don't think we'll get our hands on "the good stuff" anytime soon. First the commie has to die, then the embargo has to be lifted, then the non-cuban labels will file trademark infringement suits to block importation of the similarly named cubans. Then there has to be 2 or 3 decades worth of appeals.

Nope, I have very little confidence that we will get to enjoy those forbiden sticks any time soon. But, I could be wrong, I hope I am!

I for one hope the commie bastard is DEAD. I'm not so sure we'll be able to legally get all the RyJ Churchill Habanas we want but we will be that much closer.

Yes and assuming the embargo is lifted, the prices should eventually maybe even go uo from where they are now, before leveling back off in a decade or so!!

then the non-cuban labels will file trademark infringement suits to block importation of the similarly named cubans.
Actually, the cubans would probably win this one, because they've had the trademarks longer and own the rights to these names. Everyone else had to get the Cuban government's permission to use these names for sake of a lawsuit.

I think that depends on the company. If the person that left Cuba was the person the named belonged to, then I would think they would win in court. Cohiba is a non-example, it didn't exist at the time of the embargo, so the only "real" Cohiba would be the Cuban one.

My wife was born and raised in Cuba. She came during Mariel in 1980. She cannot wait until it is safe to back and visit there.

Logic tells me that with an explosion in Demand and the subsequent pressure on supply, prices will sky rocket!

It does not really matter if he dies or not. His brother is next in line to rule and they say he is not any better of a person as far as the common wealth is concerned.

Wether or not this helps lift the embargo ......We'll see, but you can bet your A$$ that when the time comes, the price of Cuban cigars is going to be stupid. And they will probably suck for awhile too!!!

From the little about it I know, it will take more than the death of a dictator to lift the embargo from Cuban imports. And if/when the ban/embargo is lifted- the cigars won't be worth smoking for a while anyway... not to mention the stupid people who will be buying them like crazy causing the price to quadruple! Legal cuban cigars, with the quality and prices we're used too, are a looooooong way off friends.

And as I understand it- the big cigar makers here (altadis/general) will prevent the original cuban brands from being imported under their original names (romeo/hdm/hupmann/cohiba/sancho/erdm/etc)... Thats why you see alot of newer brand news like Cuaba, Vegas Robaina, etc... I'm not sure how it will work- I'm no lawyer, but I figure it will likely be when I'm old and grey cuban cigars will be allowed here legally. But I have been wrong before.

This rumor shows up once a year or so......

As Styx & Stone says, Castro's brother Raoul is set to succeed him thou it wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of overthrow attempt. For those of you who don't know anything about Raoul, he makes Castro look like Mr Rogers. (if you don't know who Mr Rogers is....nevermind! :) )

While it is inevitable, Castro dieing will most likely have Cuban cigar prices go up and quality go down...both because of demand. It will take years for the demand to settle down...... more importantly will be how the quality issue will be handled.

I would prefer the embargo stays..... cuban cigars are easily obtained, so I've been told.

Allofus123 said:
I would prefer the embargo stays..... cuban cigars are easily obtained, so I've been told.
I think that about clears up any remaining confusion on this issue, Hmmm? ;)

I would love to visit a post-Castro Cuba. I would like to see the tobacco fields and try my hand at learning Spanish. :D