• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Salt test mistake

Bsneed51

Habitual Threadjacker!
I started out with an analog hygrometer that came with the humidor I purchased, did the salt test and it read 64%. About what I expected considering all the bad things I've read about analogs, so I went out an purchased two digital thermometer/hygrometers. So time to salt test them. I took a clean, dry gatorade lid and filled it 2/3 full with table salt, and added enough water to make it wet without dissolving the salt. Placed all 3 hygrometers into a plastic tupperware container and waited 12 hours. All 3 hygrometers read the same temp of 68 degrees, and the same humidity level.....64%. Now I have a hard time believing that I managed to buy 3 hygrometers that are all exactly 11% off.

Am I doing something wrong with my test? Is it because the air is so dry right now? Do I just hope that I can maintain my humidor reading at 55% RH(factoring in the difference)? Do I waste another $20-25 hoping I get one good hygrometer?

I'm lost, please help.

I don't know how big of a tupperware container you're using, but that might be the problem. A Gatorade cap my not be enough for something that size. Maybe try it again inside a doubled up Ziploc bag. And maybe let it sit 24 hours.

The tupperware I'm using is bowl shaped, probably six inches in circumference, and about 4 inches deep. I left the hygro's in there today while I'm at work, and that will put them at about 20 hours when I get home. Maybe I was just to impatient.

All the searches I did said a cap full of salt, and to wait 8 hours. Should I maybe do a shot glass of salt to make sure I have enough?

Either get a canning jar w/ a lid and try it with something similar. You need to wait 24hrs, not 8.

Wrap the hygro in a damp paper towel and place in a plastic bag. In 15 minutes it should read at or above 95%.

Even when I was using the boveda calibration pack, which is engineered to keep a specific humidity level, it took a good 24 hours bot my digital hygrometer read spot on. Give it time, my friend.

Are you using table salt, sea salt or kosher salt ???

Sometimes I use coarse ground pepper just to keep my hygros on their toes :laugh:

Table salt. I also have sea salt I could use. Does that make a difference?

I used the zip lock bag for mine. Squeezed most of the air out after I put the salt and hygrometer in there and tried to place the hygro near the cap. I think within 20 or 30 mins it was at 74%.

Also wondering if the dilution of salt and water matters...It must. I used a real paste like mixture. Actully I had to mix it twice because the first time was too watery for me.

I use a decent size Tupperware container and place a shot glass of salt in it. I make sure the salt has the consistency of wet sand. Then I place the hygro in the container and seal the lid. Then I double Ziploc the Tupperware for good measure and wait at least 12 hours for the hygro to stabilize. This method has worked well for me.

I’ve never used a Boveda pack to calibrate, but might have to try it since I don't have to mess around with salt mixture.

Wow. Thanks preembargo. I feel like I just got salt test information from Alton Brown. I appreciate all the help.

An update if anyone cares: I'm still getting an irritating 64% reading on all 3 hygros after nearly 32 hours inside the tupperware. At this point I think I'm just going to stick with a boveda pack inside a tupperware box since I know that it's a passible solution. Since I can't get an accurate read on my humi I will just let it continue to sit with a jar of humi care gel in it, and hope that I can figure out a way to check it before I put my cigars in it and watch them get ruined.

Wow. Thanks preembargo. I feel like I just got salt test information from Alton Brown. I appreciate all the help.

An update if anyone cares: I'm still getting an irritating 64% reading on all 3 hygros after nearly 32 hours inside the tupperware. At this point I think I'm just going to stick with a boveda pack inside a tupperware box since I know that it's a passible solution. Since I can't get an accurate read on my humi I will just let it continue to sit with a jar of humi care gel in it, and hope that I can figure out a way to check it before I put my cigars in it and watch them get ruined.

What do they read when you wrap them in a damp papertowel (placed in a zip-lock bag) for 15 minutes?

Just use ALOT more salt and wet it more. Make a nice slushy mixture, should give you the humidity you need to test out the hygros. I've been able to succesfully calibrate 3 different hygros to 75% using massive amounts of salt and water.

What do they read when you wrap them in a damp papertowel (placed in a zip-lock bag) for 15 minutes?

I have not yet because I still have them in the tupperware with the salt solution. I will try the paper towel thing tonight. My only concern is will this cause any damage to the hygro?

I have not yet because I still have them in the tupperware with the salt solution. I will try the paper towel thing tonight. My only concern is will this cause any damage to the hygro?
The hygro should be fine aslong as you don't stick it in a tub of water.

Someone asked me about this 'wrap in towel' test....so:

I wrapped a damp paper towel around my digital Diamond Crown and placed it in a ziploc freezer bag.

15 min: 84%
30 min: 94%
45 min: 95%
60 min: 95%
120 min: 95%

If you have an analog unit - adjust to 95% after 30 minutes and see what happens!

I did this a few years ago on ALL of my guages. They were that way(I would check one every few months but not all at once) until I picked up an end table with a humidity control device(habitat monitor) - the one in the Staebell's.

When I got the device - used - I sent it to the factory and they updated the board and re-calibrated. It was set to 64% when I got it back.

At that time I put all my gauges near the sensor and worked off that.

A couple were off by a 1% or 2%, and one's even waaaay south of were it should be...but I have the baseline off of the calibrated unit to go from. (so when it reads 54% I know it's 64%)....I even put one that was spot on next to it and there was a 10% difference.

So - the old B&M guy was right...just a damp paper towel and a ziploc bag!

There's a lot to be said for experience. ;)

edit - if someone proves this different....I'll give the salt test a shot! :thumbs: