• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sam Adams Black Lager

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Sam Adams Black Lager is probably my favorite beer, ever. It slowly started disappearing, and the last time I was actually able to find it was in 2009 in a distributor in Pittsburgh. I actually bought the last two cases they had. Any distributor I talked to since then has said they don't think it was discontinued, but they haven't gotten any. I started drinking Sam Adams Cream Stout, but that seems to have disappeared, as well. I've been drinking many different German and Belgian brews since being over here, but my constant is my old fallback of Guinness Extra Stout.

Soooo... anyone have any idea what happened to the SA Black Lager and Cream Stout? Have they been discontinued? Last I looked on the Sam website, they were still there, but admittedly, that's been a little while.

Sam Adams Black Lager is probably my favorite beer, ever. It slowly started disappearing, and the last time I was actually able to find it was in 2009 in a distributor in Pittsburgh. I actually bought the last two cases they had. Any distributor I talked to since then has said they don't think it was discontinued, but they haven't gotten any. I started drinking Sam Adams Cream Stout, but that seems to have disappeared, as well. I've been drinking many different German and Belgian brews since being over here, but my constant is my old fallback of Guinness Extra Stout.

Soooo... anyone have any idea what happened to the SA Black Lager and Cream Stout? Have they been discontinued? Last I looked on the Sam website, they were still there, but admittedly, that's been a little while.
Hey kann where do you live? I am sure there are a few guys that can recommend similar beers depending on where you are located.

Living in Germany for a while. Finding good beer isn't the problem here, I'm just really curious why the supply of those two beers has seemed to have dried up. Stateside, I was in Arkansas, incase that has anything to do with regional distribution or something. However, even visiting family up north it was unavailable.

Seems to me that black lagers are all the rage these days. I just had a really good Rogue First Growth Black Lager. If you can find Rogue over there I'd suggest giving it a shot. Also, I think Kostritzer Schwarzbier should be pretty close to the Sam Adams offering.

Locally in North Texas, there is a (Fort Worth) brewery called Rahr that makes a good one, called Ugly Pug. That probably doesn't do you much good but, the next time you are in the states, Look for Shiner Black. It's pretty widely available and quite tasty.
G-

If you have a Norma shopping center in your area they have an excellent "Schwarz Bier" called LobkowicZ Baron Ladislav III.

Its from Bohemia, an area that used to be German before WWII and is now part of the Czech Republic. The brewery has been around since 1466 and belonged to a powerful Prince of that region.

Excellent beer and since its an import being sold at Norma a great value.

lobkowicz.jpg

*edit* And while looking for that picture I found they have a case of 20 bottles on sale at the Norma for 6,80€ :0

Its off to the supermarket I go!

Ooohhh... That looks exquisite! I'm not sure about Norma. I know we have Globus and a few others. I'll have to ask around about Norma, though. First I'm hearing of it, honestly. I'll keep an eye out for that. It looks delicious. Beer needs to be able to lubricate an internal combustion engine before it is fit for consumption, as far as I'm concerned.

Aside from the occasional "experiment" we find, we drink a lot of Schwabenbrau schwartzbier in addition to the regular Guinness.

Seems to me that black lagers are all the rage these days. I just had a really good Rogue First Growth Black Lager. If you can find Rogue over there I'd suggest giving it a shot. Also, I think Kostritzer Schwarzbier should be pretty close to the Sam Adams offering.

Fan of the Sam Black Lager as well. As for the Rogue First Growth's I have been unimpressed with most although I would try their black lager.

I picked up some Black Lager today at BevMo, but it was only as part of their Harvest Collection 12-pack. They did have 6-packs of the Cream Stout as well. It must be a seasonal thing.

I can get the Sam Adams Black Lager locally to me. You said your in Germany so that won't work but if you are ever in the US I can buy some for you and ship it to you. They always have six packs of the black Lager and I think I saw the cream stout as well. Next time I'm in there I will ask for you and let you know.

Paul

The Sam Adams Black Lager can be found in the Fall Variety 12-pk.

I picked up a case of Sam Adams Harvest, and it came with some Black Lager. Not bad; one of the better varietals. October Fest is also pretty decent.

I have baught and is always available when I like here in houston tx.....great beer....I really enjoy it, but find it too filling. But I do like it. I buy mine from Spec's