• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner

SewerRanger

Today is a sad day in deed. Winter is firmly smacking Baltimore around and my favorite time of the year has officially ended. I took at trip just last night to the local liquor store and was told that my all time favorite beer is finally sold out for the year. It truly signified what a sad day it was and confirmed the end of my favorite time of the year. What beer is this you ask? Well it's none other then the Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner. This once-a-year beer is Sam Adams early Christmas gift to the world. Originally brewed in late 2005 and released only between November and December this is a rare beer. To add to its scarcity this particular style of beer (Pilsner) isn’t one that lends itself to aging and so is best consumed shortly after purchasing. That’s not to say it should be chugged. No, this is a more refined beer. Take a moment to sniff it shortly after pouring, but first notice the gentle head that forms and the slightly clouded pale gold color of the beer. Now inhale the deep aromas of the golden Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops. Notice the heavy hay and grass scent with just a hint of flowers. The first thing that comes to mind is a farm meadow on a Sunday morning shortly after dawn. You can practically smell how crisp this beer is. Now take your first sip and enjoy the explosion of hoppy flavor. The spicy citrusy taste almost drowns out the light sweetness from the malt. After the first few taste you’ll start to pick up the earthy undertones and the amazing hop after taste. The beer is light on carbonation so you'll be tempted to chug it. It deserves a bit more respect then that though, so take the proper amount of time to fully enjoy this one. The Imperial Pilsner is more then a beer, it's an experience that everyone should try at least once.

:::EDIT:::
Borrowed from the interweb, a picture:
DCP_3512-772190.JPG

Thanks for the review. I'm personally not a big fan of this beer. I think it's a bold attempt by Jim Koch, and props on that, but the style just isn't my favorite I guess, with all the European hops.

Today is a sad day in deed. Winter is firmly smacking Baltimore around and my favorite time of the year has officially ended. I took at trip just last night to the local liquor store and was told that my all time favorite beer is finally sold out for the year. It truly signified what a sad day it was and confirmed the end of my favorite time of the year. What beer is this you ask? Well it's none other then the Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner. This once-a-year beer is Sam Adams early Christmas gift to the world. Originally brewed in late 2005 and released only between November and December this is a rare beer. To add to its scarcity this particular style of beer (Pilsner) isn't one that lends itself to aging and so is best consumed shortly after purchasing. That's not to say it should be chugged. No, this is a more refined beer. Take a moment to sniff it shortly after pouring, but first notice the gentle head that forms and the slightly clouded pale gold color of the beer. Now inhale the deep aromas of the golden Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops. Notice the heavy hay and grass scent with just a hint of flowers. The first thing that comes to mind is a farm meadow on a Sunday morning shortly after dawn. You can practically smell how crisp this beer is. Now take your first sip and enjoy the explosion of hoppy flavor. The spicy citrusy taste almost drowns out the light sweetness from the malt. After the first few taste you'll start to pick up the earthy undertones and the amazing hop after taste. The beer is light on carbonation so you'll be tempted to chug it. It deserves a bit more respect then that though, so take the proper amount of time to fully enjoy this one. The Imperial Pilsner is more then a beer, it's an experience that everyone should try at least once.

:::EDIT:::
Borrowed from the interweb, a picture:
DCP_3512-772190.JPG

HOW THE HELL DO I FIND IT... The Chocolate Bock was easier to find ~!!

You won't anymore. Every store by me is sold out. I get the Sam Adams news letter and they announce roughly when it will be available. At that point I go to my favorite liquor store owner (great friends with the guy - he actually stocks stuff because I ask for it) and I ask him to give me a heads up when it comes in. He lets me know and I buy a couple of cases from him. I'm down to 8 left now (beers not cases). It's sad.

You won't anymore. Every store by me is sold out. I get the Sam Adams news letter and they announce roughly when it will be available. At that point I go to my favorite liquor store owner (great friends with the guy - he actually stocks stuff because I ask for it) and I ask him to give me a heads up when it comes in. He lets me know and I buy a couple of cases from him. I'm down to 8 left now (beers not cases). It's sad.

Got to be another way...

Sam Adam's is not stupid. They had a great beer with the Chocolate Bock and then made it readily available. This should follow suit..

What the hell do I know :(

Thanks for the review, well done.

I have had this a few times and can't figure out what the hell they were going for cause I thought it tasted like ass. Maybe I got a bad batch, ymmv.

Thanks for the review, well done.

I have had this a few times and can't figure out what the hell they were going for cause I thought it tasted like ass. Maybe I got a bad batch, ymmv.
It's an aquired taste, that's for sure. You have to really like the Hallertau hops because that's 95% of the flavor.

This is EXTREMELY hot when fresh. I personally think it needs a little while for the boozy bitterness to fade so the malt can balance things out a bit. It's drinking pretty good right now, but I wouldn't say it tasted "like ass" when fresh.

This is EXTREMELY hot when fresh. I personally think it needs a little while for the boozy bitterness to fade so the malt can balance things out a bit. It's drinking pretty good right now, but I wouldn't say it tasted "like ass" when fresh.
You know, I never really gave it much thought, but I the last couple of bottles are always my favorite. Perhaps this is why. I did try ageing them last year for about 6 - 7 months. Not so great when opened. They lost most of the hoppy flavor.

All three I drank were drain pours. I like the SA idea of pushing the limit but this idea derailed, especially when cost and or style comes into consideration. BTW, this is just my opinion and hell some people don't like Nugget Nectar so take it with a grain of salt. :laugh:

All three I drank were drain pours. I like the SA idea of pushing the limit but this idea derailed, especially when cost and or style comes into consideration. BTW, this is just my opinion and hell some people don't like Nugget Nectar so take it with a grain of salt. :laugh:
Those people actually exist?! :laugh:

Just kidding...we're all entitled to our opinion. I certainly respect yours! I'm just surprised that a hophead like yourself doesn't like this one. Though if I remember correctly you didn't like fresh Hop Wallop, either, so there might be a correlation there.

Those people actually exist?! :laugh:

Just kidding...we're all entitled to our opinion. I certainly respect yours! I'm just surprised that a hophead like yourself doesn't like this one. Though if I remember correctly you didn't like fresh Hop Wallop, either, so there might be a correlation there.

Mike, I thought I would really like it too but there was a bitter quality to it that seemed outside of the any hop flavor I have ever tasted and was very harsh and unappealing to me. BTW, I did like Hop Wallop!