• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

San Cristobal Review

altercall

You are going to have to bear with me guys, this is my 1st review and I was tired. Here goes:

I finally got a chance to smoke my San Cristobal. I just finished my first night of scouting for the high school team and went out to meet the ASS guys out the regular meetup. Not a perfect night for a cigar review since it was a welcome back party for a former ASS guy that just moved back in town. I like smoking good cigars around people so it worked out for me. I'm just weird in the fact that I smoke the crap by myself, but the good stuff with company. Anyway, it was a nice night, so much so that we didn't even go into the press box during the game, we just sat in the stands. But on to the review...

Cigar smells great. You could smell the spice and maybe some manure in. Prelight draw was near perfect. The spice on the wrapper was almost overpowering. Well, that's a bit of an overstatement, but it had more spice on the wrapper than any cigar I've ever had. At first light the spice was ridiculous. It hid most of the flavor. It wasn't the normal Pepin spice that carries alot of flavor with it, it was more of an Opus spice that was just spice. Even with that much spice, the other flavors were so abundant you could pick them out, especially as you got a few drags into it. The draws all started with a sweetness for the first 1/3. That was followed by some nuttiness with a faint bit of earthiness. Within the first few draws I knew this was a different experience from any other Pepin. All the way through the first 1/3 the spice toned down, while the nuttiness stepped up.

In the middle 1/3 the nuttiness became very pronounced while the spiciness, while still there, really backed off. The earthiness started to become something that you didn't have to search as much for, but was nowhere near what most of his sticks have. The sweetness wasn't there on every draw, but as soon as I started to forget it, I got a big taste of it on the next draw.

The final 1/3 really developed well, though it also showed the youth of this cigar. On the draw there was almost no spice, though still burned heavily in the sinuses when exhaling through the nose. The nuttiness came full on, and the earthiness was more pronounced, but still under his other cigars. Now that I think about it, there was always a more light spice underneath everything else that was also brought out at the end. It was not harsh, but more of a cooking spice, though I cannot place it. The thing I liked most about the end of this cigar was that it was not hard to taste. There are so many cigars out there that are so hard to taste at the last 1 1/2- 2 inches because the profile doesn't change, or my palate just gets used to them. This, though, was almost as easy to taste at the end as it was in the middle.

I would put it in the medium bodied range (I hadn't eaten in 5 hours and had no affects), but full flavored.

I'm not going to try to put a number on it, but it was a really good cigar!!! I would say, though, to treat this almost like a CC and give it some age. This is a heck of a cigar and has plenty in it for everyone. I'm definitely getting more when they come out!!!

Mad props to Frank and Sheep for helping to glean some of that info and organize my thoughts.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to have to try and pick some of these up from the B&M when they become available.

I agree great review. After seeing you show off the band today :laugh: , it made me want them even more!! It was a pleasure meeting you today!

Thanks for the outstanding review! :thumbs:

Another Review - San Cristobal (?)Fabuloso - Robusto

Great review Jay! Here's my $0.02...

Prelight:
Can I say perfect. Well damn close, like Gisele Bündchen is perfect, except that she has a boyfriend who plays in the NFL.
gisele-bunchen-tom-brady-married.jpg

Outstanding label/ring smooth, delicate unobtrusive veins set off by the Rosado wrapper. Well constructed, taught roll giving to light pressure. The cap is a nice touch and easy cut.

Source: I could tell you, but then a certain BOTL would have to kill you - & me!
gallery_5052_193_120648.jpg

Beverage:
Shiner Bock Beer & Killer Beanz Coffee - Nicaraguan Should have eaten something BEFORE I smoked this, Double ranch Burger from Whataburger maybe? :sign:

Light: Easy light and draw, established a shallow, medium hot cherry fairly quickly. Two relights, entirely my fault as you will read later.

Experience: Phenomenal first draw, everything I was hoping for. The aroma quickly filled the room and several people remarked about the aroma as not typical, more soft spices and chocolate. Yeah, yeah I know a cigar tastes like… like… tobacco, but give me some literary license here, please. A few more puffs and the smoke pored outta this baby like a Genie in the bottle, light blue halos. The soft spices (think nutmeg & cardamom) picked up fairly quickly as did the chocolate, not the sugary sweet chocolate of a Tollhouse but light, slightly bitter chocolate shavings on hand turned vanilla ice cream.

gallery_5052_193_130879.jpg

The first third was enchanting but the second third drew you back in like Michael in Godfather 3. Just like Corleone's it was nearly too big to handle. I learned a big lesson here that when smoking these master blended cigars I need to slow down and take my time, kinda like I imagine my first night with Gisele will be. OK so I lie, I'd tap that so quickly she wouldn't even know I was there, but you get the idea. I was forced to slow down at this point, I had been drawn in by the excitement of the tastes and aromas. It reminded me of spreading the first bags of Cedar mulch in the spring, after light rain, it just makes you want to keep working in the yard it smells so good. First relight. When I was 10 or 11 I read my first Jack London book and I couldn't put it down, you know, flashlight under the covers long after Dad says lights out; THAT is this cigar. The draws were light this time to avoid overworking the cigar and it did not disappoint; hints of hazelnut or walnuts and underlying tones of a Shiraz red wine. I wanted to savor this cigar and it was burning so nicely that it went out again - again my fault ??? - as I'm learning to smoke these beauties slower.
gallery_5052_193_161206.jpg

Finishing up this stick was a pure joy; lingering wood and cocoa flavors continued with the slow even burn. I'll be purchasing more than a few of these; smoke a few, age a few. Kick me in the head and call me Gisele!!! I've been told the robusto I was smoking is under $10 bucks… this my brothers makes this cigar one heck of a deal and me an official PEPIN WHORE! :love:
gisele_bundchen_001.jpg

Wow, Great review! Thanks for the pics (needed more of Gisele though :D ).

I saw Shiner Bock and Whataburger in the same sentence. Man I miss Texas. Both reviews here are well done! Thanks

Nice review

Mine wont be nearly as good.

Today I had a Maestro, this was very full bodied, excellent draw, but a little bit too overpowering to get all the flavors.

Lastnight I had a Guajiro, this one was on point, nice hints of spice in the all the way through, changed flavors about 3 times on me, so far this has been my most favorite one, I will give the Robusto sized one a try tomorrow

Which ones are your favorites so far?

I hd the perfecto and thought the first inch or so to be kind of harsh then it opened and became much smoother.

Love the reviews! Jeff was pretty much right on with the one I had today (a guajiro). I'd probably teeter it more on the fuller side but all in all, a very nice cigar. Like a VSG with Pepin putting his signature touches on it. G1

Name: San Cristobal by Ashton and Pepin Garcia
Size: Perfecto (6*60)
Components: Wrapper – Nic. Corojo, Binder – All aged Nic., Filler – All aged Nic.

Appearance/Construction: Beautiful, silky, dark wrapped perfecto with a few small pencil-like vein lines. This gorgeous shiny wrapper looks almost like a light maduro and the construction is impeccable.

Pre-light Draw: Very good, especially for a perfecto sized cigar before lighting.

Pre-light Aroma: Lightly spicy and earthy with a soft barn-yard aroma accompanied by a faint sweet vanilla nuance.

Post-light Aroma: Very strong and sharp under the nose and made me sneeze LOL!

Opening and Early Stages: Nice and spicy out of the gate with a slight sweetness. Per usual in “The Don’s” latest stuff, it’s fantastic and this is his first real full step-up from the rest. Wow, it’s a gamer! I’m in Casa JBI’s watching Monday Night Football, but more interested in this fine looking and tasting cigar than watching the Big Screen (not normal )! I’m having a hard time staying focused and writing this review because I just want to concentrate and enjoy this gem! I gotta hand to Holt’s and Pepin lately; they’re the shit as a team and this is such a cool size and shape.

The Heart of the Cigar: This has the trademark Pepin profile but it’s different and extremely high in quality. I haven’t had a Cuban that tasted this good since some Diplomatica #2’s from Toronto a few years back. The cigar is getting very rich now and the nice warm spicy flavor continues but has mellowed a bit and has become very balanced. Lip smacking good! Tommy, tell your wife I’ll be down this week while your working to check over all your humidors for leakage (if there are a few of these missing, it’s because I’m doing some maintenance and need to test your cigar storage setup and make sure it’s keeping your stuff perfectly). An excellent mix of complex flavors going on now and not just the typical spice as it backs off a little. Did I say rich? Gobs of smoke billowing out like a smokestack. The draw is superb as well!

Latter Stages and Finale: What a balanced, rich smoke with an overall smoothness that rivals the best and produces tons of spice, cream, chocolate, nuts, a faint cedary citrus sweetness and a warm earthy quality that is just wonderful! Medium plus and the tobacco has a very aged quality to it. Maybe Pep. can adopt me into the family as his tester !

Summary and Afterthoughts: One fine, extraordinary effort by both parties, mainly Pep. And this is a keeper along with many of his others. However, this is a notch above some of Pepin’s other endless lines and extensions in every aspect regarding quality (i.e., tobacco, taste and construction). Believe it or not, the wrapper is almost identical to the Holts Connoisseur line and is similar in some ways, but cheaper. So if you can’t afford this pricy cigar, try the Connoisseurs. I was very sad when this cigar came to its inevitable conclusion and all I was thinking is that I need to stock these in spades! As the copy reads, this pretty much sums it up: Blended entirely from rich and delicious Nicaraguan tobaccos, these cigars feature dark, oily Nicaraguan wrappers. The flavor is rich and full-bodied, exhibiting a perfect balance between strength and complexity. Hearty notes of earth, cedar and spices are accompanied by lighter notes of walnuts, espresso and dark chocolate. A real knockout in any arena!!!

Ratings: (1=Lowest, 10=Highest)

Appearance – 9.5
Pre-light Flavors- 7
Construction – 9.5
Draw – 10
Aroma - 9
Flavor/Taste – 9
Burn/Ash – 8
Finish – 8
Smoking Experience – 9
Overall Impression – 8.7 maybe higher overall!

Oh my. I've got a fistful of these...guess I'd better get smoking. Any cigar that is reminiscent of VSG is good with me. :thumbs:

Great reviews, gentlemen.

Wilkey

Thanks for the reviews.

These are nice smokes. I smoked the Robusto right out of the box when it arrived, good and will get better IMO.

Brian

I also found these cigars to be somewhat in the ballpark of a vsg, though I still find vsg's better imo. These cigars are a nice new addition to the ashton line. I am considering going in on a box with my friend who owns a local b&m in my area. One of my favorite releases for this year.