• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sancho Panza Belicoso (Cuban)

SMOKE!

First Review and First Cuban!

I just lit up a Cuban Sancho Panza Belicoso that I acquired in a trade recently. It has been in the humidor since July 02. With a good 3 1/2 years on this one it was time to sacrifice it to the God of Fire. Construction is good and pre-light draw was a nasal clearer. It lit pretty well and burns evenly so far. So far there is not much flavor. It is kind of a mild tobacco taste. I am only about 10 minutes into this one, so I am sure the flavor will change.
Wow, this thing is starting to kick my ass. I just stood up and had to sit back down. I am about an inch and 1/2 into this one and there is lots of smoke to go with the perfect burn. Nice draw on this one too, just firm enough. Nice grey/white ash that hasnt fallen off yet. The wrapper is interesting, it has little bumps all over it. They almost look like goose bumps. Anybody know what I am talking about? I am getting a mild nutty flavor to go with the earthy flavor. Not a bad flavor at all, but I am hoping for it to get a little richer.
Well, I am down to the last inch and this has gotten stronger, but not richer, like I hoped. The leathery notes are stronger and there is a woody flavor that has carried on throughout. I was hoping for a little more depth in this smoke. It's a nice smoke that I would pay about 5 bucks for, but is isnt anything incredible. I was really hoping for something more, but it is still an enjoyable smoke. I did have to do a couple of small touch ups after I ashed it for the first time.
Well, I smoked this thing down to the numb, but it never turned into the cigar that I wanted it to be. It was good, but not to the point that I would search them out. I had a Honduran made Sancho Panza Dulcinea that had been aging since 2001 and I thought it was better than this one. It had more flavor and character and was a bit more smooth overall with nice earthy flavor.

Great review! I had one and felt about the same way as you did. Btw those "goose bumps" are called tooth.

Nice review. Glad you got to try your first ISOM

I have to jump on the band wagon and say I was less than impressed with this cigar. The flavor was "not my taste" but all the reviews I read led me to believe it would be. I assumed it would have a Bolivar style earthiness. And the burn was so awful that I threw out two cigars before the halfway point. I was wondering what age would do to them. At least it fixed the burn.

n

Cool. I have never seen the bumps before on any of my other cigars. So cigars just get this as a result of aging, right? Why exactly does that happen?

nfulton- I know what you mean, I have tried the new NC Bolivars and they are great. They have a heavier thick dank earthy flavor. I dont know if I should expect this flavor from most Cubans or if this is just a Sancho Panza flavor characteristic.

SMOKE! said:
Cool. I have never seen the bumps before on any of my other cigars. So cigars just get this as a result of aging, right? Why exactly does that happen?
[snapback]287323[/snapback]​

The bumps are caused by the oils in the wrapper I believe. Fresh cigars can have them as well as aged ones.

Sorta the same reaction I had when I smoked a whole box of these back in the late 90's. Not bad, but not great. I've heard and read that Sancho Panza's can become mighty cigars with 15-20 years on them but I sure as hell haven't got the time, patience or space to devote to aging them.

I'd still consider your cigar young by SP standards and in my experience, young Sanchos are boring. Give me a young Bolivar any day.

Wilkey

SMOKE! said:
nfulton- I know what you mean, I have tried the new NC Bolivars and they are great.  They have a heavier thick dank earthy flavor.  I dont know if I should expect this flavor from most Cubans or if this is just a Sancho Panza flavor characteristic.
[snapback]287324[/snapback]​

I haven't had a Bolivar that wasn't an ISOM, but after the reviews, I think I really should. I have had my share of ISOM's but you would have to ask someone much more well versed than I to answer that question. Boli's have a taste unique to them that I would describe as earthy and it is the reason I love them soooo much :blush: . I just finished a Vegas Robaina Famosos and didn't taste anything I would call earthy...but a fine cigar in it's own right.

submited IMHO
n

Sancho Panzas are a favorite of mine. Next to Cohiba I probably smoke more of them then any other marca. I love the Coronas, Non Plus, Sanchos and Belicosos. With the possible exception of the Belis they do benefit greatly from 5+ years of age. '97-'98 vintage are outstanding. I like the Belis with as little as 2-3 years of age. To each his own.