• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Satellite TV question

I've had both. The service was about the same for each, not many problems.

However, I do like the DirecTV "tivo" better than DishNetwork's DVR. DishNetwork was $5 cheaper per month, so that's what I had hooked up at my new place.

Another vote for DirecTV. The service only goes out with HEAVY thunderstorms. Local cable went out much more often before I switched.

You should also consider your other telephone / internet / wireless needs as well.

Most don't know that DirecTV has a relationship with Verizon. Verizon is the "gold standard" for wireless service in my area.

I have the House Phone / Internet DSL / Family Wireless / DirecTV package that comes on one bill.

We are very happy with all the services and the bundle discounts really help.

I prefer and have been a customer of Direct TV for years. Service has always been top notch for me and I like the menu interface.

However, ever since getting HD approximatley 8 months ago I have had issues with the receiver and had to return one. When my wife went to the FedEx to send it off she was told by he clerk that they have been getting so many of these - apparently mine is not an isolated problem. Customer service did credit me a couple months for the increase inthe bill because of the problems though so they are trying.

- Jason

Your signal strength is going to be a factor of the accuracy of the installation. The better-aimed the dish, the stronger your signal. The worst part is that the greatest signal strength losses are obtained with the smallest initial deviations from center.

I don't get rain fade. I did get dropouts on my video when the hard drive on my DirecTivo started failing. I replaced the drive with a much larger one, so I now have 500 hours of SD recording available to me. This will all be moot when I upgrade to HD someday.