• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saved some money today

PuffTheMagicDragon

Fire One Up
We were out riding around in Missouri wine country and spied a cigar bar.

"Sir, I need to see your ID" he says.
"No, you don't", I say.

We had a polite conversation, and then went home and smoked my own cigars. Much cheaper, I must say !

Evidently, being a senior citizen is not proof of being 21 (or over)

Is there something I just don't get? What harm is there in showing your ID to make a purchase on cigars? I get you are of a certain age where it's like "well no duh, I'm over 21" but it also seems like throwing a stink that isn't worth having. Was this the owner or an employee that asked this? The store may just have an "we ID everyone just so if there is ever a question about if someone was ID'ed or not the answer is always yes."

Is there something I just don't get? What harm is there in showing your ID to make a purchase on cigars? I get you are of a certain age where it's like "well no duh, I'm over 21" but it also seems like throwing a stink that isn't worth having. Was this the owner or an employee that asked this? The store may just have an "we ID everyone just so if there is ever a question about if someone was ID'ed or not the answer is always yes."
That was my take on this, as well.

I used to get that from time to time when I worked weekends at a bar. The old man who owned it had a rule - everyone gets carded. He'd watch the tapes and if someone didn't get carded, he's calling my cell at like 6a right as I got to sleep.

My peace is far more important than someone's need for a power trip. I get paid the same if you come in or don't. And the person whose pay fluctuates based on that made the rule.

I didn't "throw a stink". I politely left. There are some places that want to scan your driver's license. I don't do that, either.

Just last week, I was in WalMart. Free WiFi, they say. But, to get that free WiFi, they want your name and email address, phone number - and consent to allow location of your device while on their property. Oh, and then (later) they email you about the days purchases and ask you to rate them.

And there's more.

So, how far does this go ?

All I can say is that these things are not for me.

Well nobody better give me a senior discount with out asking for my I.D. or it's on!!!!

Baaahhhhh..... 🐑
😎

We all choose our hill to die on.

I used to get that from time to time when I worked weekends at a bar. The old man who owned it had a rule - everyone gets carded. He'd watch the tapes and if someone didn't get carded, he's calling my cell at like 6a right as I got to sleep.

My peace is far more important than someone's need for a power trip. I get paid the same if you come in or don't. And the person whose pay fluctuates based on that made the rule.
I didn't "throw a stink". I politely left. There are some places that want to scan your driver's license. I don't do that, either.

Just last week, I was in WalMart. Free WiFi, they say. But, to get that free WiFi, they want your name and email address, phone number - and consent to allow location of your device while on their property. Oh, and then (later) they email you about the days purchases and ask you to rate them.

And there's more.

This was my thought on it -- Some employee just having to enforce the policies of the (at best) store owner or (at worst) state shouldn't have to deal with customers giving them grief over it. I personally don't see an issue with flashing an ID for a visual inspection. You obviously do, so saying "Thanks, but no thanks", and leaving without being a dick about it was the right move. Now, doing something that provides consent for electronic tracking is certainly something entirely different. Yet, here we are all with smartphones and computers...

I get that., Any time I need to cut a key for a person's vehicle I need that person to provide proof of ownership, with their license and title or registration. Hell, the rare times I needed to cut a key for my own personal vehicle I still needed to provide the proper documents. I know I own it, my boss knows I know it, but it's one of the those policies that must be completed step by step, and failure to do so raises a flag.

And there's more.

I'm with you on the free WiFi. I try not to use it either, unless I absolutely have to.

I deal with the public on a daily basis and I have had customers get defensive over some of the simplest request, such as what is the year make and model of their vehicle, so I can accurately find the part they are looking for. Why do you need to know all that? They are all the same. Just get me what I asked for! I've heard it all and then more. I'm not saying you are one of these types of customers, just giving an example of what I deal with on this side of the counter. So when I read that your transaction went south due to being asked for your ID over a tobacco purchase I was curious as to why. Any time I purchase liquor, tobacco, or lottery tickets I'm half expected to show proof of age on these items. I get it, everyone has their own reasons, just like the store has their reasons for which policies they wish to enforce and you have your reasons why you decided showing your ID was not worth it to make the purchase of the cigars you were interested in.

Does scanning it at the airport count?

ETA: to get through security it’s a must, no?

In high school I worked at a grocery store. We got busted selling beer to someone underage (somebody else did it, not me), and the manager made a rule after the fact that everyone buying alcohol and tobacco gets carded, no exceptions. If you didn't enter the date of birth in the register, it wouldn't let you complete the transaction. The manager told us that he'd rather have a few customers decide to go elsewhere than risk losing the ability to sell alcohol/tobacco.

I was 16 years old at the time and felt awkward carding people who were VERY obviously old enough. If anybody ever went back and pulled those records, they'd be shocked how many people in town had the exact same birthday as my Dad...