• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saving cigars...

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
Reaction score
First off, I know we're all just as much collectors as we are smokers, that part I understand. But how often do y'all save cigars for specific times or certain occasions or just because?

I'm not saying I save every cigar, but there are a few that I just cant bring myself to smoke on some random weeknight. I've got a couple Fuente Anejos, a Davidoff Millennium, Padron '64 and just a couple others that I cant bring myself to smoke at the time. They smell delicious and I really WANT to smoke some of them, but I cant do it at this time.

Do y'all feel the same way sometimes? I'll smoke them when the time is right (21st birthday coming up, 1 year anniversary with the girlfriend coming up) but I don't know why I wont even consider smoking one tonight for example. Perhaps its because of the fact that I literally have 0 spending money right now, or that they were gifted to me. Either one of those reasons makes it so that I want to be sure the cigar will be enjoyed to its fullest extent.

Do I need to get over it and smoke some or does it make any sense to try and save em? I want to, but I don't! Man....

Thanks,

My opinion is a bit reductionist, but here it is in a nut shell:

I like cigars, I know I'm going to die some day. I'll be pretty pissed off at my self if I die with a humi full of "special occasion" smokes. Through the lens of death, being not dead must seem like a pretty special occasion.

Having said that, I am also a hypocrite regarding some of my sticks :D

Billy

I don't need a special day to smoke my special sticks. I just like to make sure that I have enough time to enjoy that Opus A before I put the fire to it.

Do I need to get over it and smoke some or does it make any sense to try and save em? I want to, but I don't! Man....

Thanks,

Therapy brother....lots and lots of therapy...

I think I'm in the same boat, I have a Padron 1926 a fine fine BOTL gifted me and I will not touch it!

Thanks,

Therapy brother....lots and lots of therapy...

I think I'm in the same boat, I have a Padron 1926 a fine fine BOTL gifted me and I will not touch it!
Souldog,
PM me your addy & I'llsend you another Padron 1926 so you can smoke 1 & still have 1 to keep! :D

Every day is a special occasion. :cool:

Brian

I like that... and it's true! I've been doing the same thing... I have some sticks I'm avoiding at certain times but it isn't so much of the special occasion factor as it is I'm trying to put some age on them. Especially the Opus and the Davidoff.

But I'm thinking it's gonna be a tough time for me to lay off some of these smokes!

Guilty.

I mainly smoke cigars while bowling or golfing. I have several cigars that are earmarked to be smoked in the summer while sitting on the deck at my camp. To me, that's perfect justification for saving a cigar. Being at camp is total relaxation time and a perfect opportunity to thoroughly enjoy a good smoke.

Don't know if that makes sense to anybody else, but that's how I feel.

Will the cigar taste any better on the day of a given special occasion? Enjoy it now!

Given that I rarely have time to smoke, I try to enjoy fewer, better quality cigars, rather than more less special sticks. This makes every stogie a special occasion in itself.

Well, certainly don't wait until your one year anniversary with your girlfriend, I doubt she would find the cigar breath romantic. Smoke them when you are really in the mood for a good cigar, forget that special occasion nonsense.

:thumbs:

-mark

Every day is a special occasion.

True that. Nothings better than just grabbing that special smoke on a random day after work and lighting it up. If I wait for a "special occasion" there's usually something else going on that'll distract me from the smoke.

for me it's all about time. i've been given some great cigars, too, from generous people here. i'm waiting for the weather to improve and some extra time to make sure i can enjoy and focus on every bit of the premium smoke.

for now, i sneak in as much of a patel factory select or a punch rothschild as i can before my hands freeze and i get to where i'm going in this rat race.

Yeah I know about collecting. I have a bunch of model airplane kits that I bought 15 years, hoping that I would build them someday. Well, now I am selling them on ebay. I am not suggesting that you sell your smokes on ebay. But I think it is the human thing to do, collect and have fun with our stuff. And maybe in your case you don't want to smoke them because you don't want to be dissappointed in a bad smoke. Who know, only God knows and he ain't telling.

I felt the same way in the beginning but now I come to realize you're not promised tomorrow so if I have the time to enjoy a special cigar, I won't hesitate to grab a rare smoke.

If you go out and make every day special and do something every day to be proud of, you will have no problem lighting anything up. Sometimes I feel the same way as you when I don't feel that I earned the right to smoke a celebratory cigar.

For me it's the same as many have already atated. Not so much a special occasion, but more of just the right time or being in the right mood or having enough time to put fire to the good ones. I absolutely refuse to smoke any of my premium sticks until I can do so, comfortably, preferrably outside, without a jacket and not rushing to finsh so that my fingers don't freeze off. I do have some sticks that I've begun to age but..... if the mood strikes me on any day, I'll torch any one of 'em..... and love every minute of it!

I've been leary of smoking the _really_ good sticks as of right now for a few reasons:

1: I'm perfectly happy smoking sticks that aren't as rare, but taste great. (and are replaceable)

2: I often smoke when 'pitching' a cigar might be needed (driving, working outside etc), it would break my heart to reject a *good* smoke

3: I plan on bombing with 'em!

4: I want to develop my palette more to really do these smokes right.

~R