• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saving cigars...

If you were bombed or gifted any good cigars...

You owe it to your fellow BOTL to find a reason to light 'em up.
They would not have been sent if they thought you were going to "sit" on these prized smokes.

If they're sticks that you purchased or traded for...

They are called ammunition :0

Any cigar, any day, for no reason whatsoever. Life is short, this is a passion of mine, and I want to enjoy it as much as I possibly can. :thumbs:

Every day is a special occasion. :cool:

Brian

Now that's an awesome statement.

When I first started smoking cigars, I constantly hoarded the "Finer" ones. I ended up having more "special" ones than regular smokers. I saw a thread similar to this about that time and thought "Ya know, they're 100% right!!" so I changed the way I smoke. I committed to smoking at least 2 "Premiums" a week (and hopefully more) but as someone noted above, I ensure I have the time to finish & enjoy the smoke.

That being said, I am still hoarding a few, as example, I have 2 GOFs in coffins gifted by a very good BOTL and they're intended for my daughter's wedding day and the birth of my first grandchild. Smoking these will be as much of a celebration of good friendship as it will be the reason I'm "Hoarding" them.

Through the lens of death, being not dead must seem like a pretty special occasion.

Every day is a special occasion. :cool:

Brian

Being a person who has had a blurry view through that lens, I can tell you 100% that everyday is a special occasion. My only requirement is that I have the time to smoke what I want. I used to sit on a few VERY special sticks, but I just don't feel the need anymore. If I have the time, and the mood strikes me, they're getting burned.

Having said that, if I ever get my hands on a couple of my personal "Holy Grail" cigars, I'll save them for at least a couple of weeks so I can enjoy just looking at them lying in my humidor. :laugh:

There are some cigars that I'm saving for special occasions; my boys graduation from HS and eventual (hopefully) graduation from college.

All my cigars will get smoked at some point. I'm not into collecting for the sake of collecting.

They would not have been sent if they thought you were going to "sit" on these prized smokes.

Thanks for putting it this way. With that said, I'm going to smoke a gifted prize tonight. Maybe a Short Story in the snow.

This is a great point; only consideration I have before breaking out something really special, like a Millennium or an Anejo OR is if I'll have the uninterrupted time and mindset to really enjoy the smoke.

If the answer is yes, they go to the flame..... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Very well stated!

Brian

This is a great point; only consideration I have before breaking out something really special, like a Millennium or an Anejo OR is if I'll have the uninterrupted time and mindset to really enjoy the smoke.

If the answer is yes, they go to the flame..... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Those are two of my key points also. I wont be rushed if I'm having one of my best and I certainly wouldnt even think about it if I was having a less than stellar day, but....

"If the answer is yes, they go to the flame..." (awesome statement)

If they're sticks that you purchased or traded for...

They are called ammunition :0

Couldn't have said this better myself! Besides this and the time factor, i.e. having enough time to enjoy those special smokes, it's all about your personal taste. If you feel like you should smoke Opus and Anejos every single day of the week and that's what makes you happy, then do it. If you feel like you should only smoke an Opus on the 1st of the month, when it's 72 'F, while Jupiter is in the 5th moon of Venus wearin' your purple polka dot boxer shorts with the smiley faces, then so be it. Personally.... I prefer Anejos in my playboy bunny boxers but it's all about personal preference right? :sign:

Smoke em' if you got em'. I wait to smoke my aces until I make sure I can dedicate a good amount of time so I am not rushed and can enjoy it to max. Cigars are fun to look at but much better to smoke.

I agree completly with the statement about a gifted cigar. However, would it not be a waste to smoke it when I dont have the time, concentration, devotion and taste to enjoy it?

That's what I'm talking about. Sure, i can go outside any night and puff through a cigar but for something special I need an uninterrupted relaxed time.

For my 21st birthday I plan to swing by Casa fuente, order a drink and smoke a nice stick in there, prolly wont ever go back, but thats the occasion I'm talking about.

Every cigar I have will be smoked, there is no doubt, and before too long, at that. Butas I mentioned I'd have a hard time smoking my only Padron '64, Anejo, and Millennium, because frankly, I do not have the resources to get more of them, so I better be damn well sure I'm gonna get the full experience, ya see where I'm coming from?

Oh....and FTR, girl loves that I smoke, but she never will do it her self.

Early on I saved cigars for a special occasion but often found that I would be too caught up in the occasion itself, spending time with my wife on our anniversary, enjoying an extravagant dinner, etc, that in the end I didn't feel I had time enough to enjoy the cigar I had selected (or perhaps I had a little too much wine or bourbon celebrating to really enjoy the cigar!) :D

I have found that though I have some smokes that I feel are "special" the best time to smoke them may be when I find myself on a nice relaxing day with a few hours to kill and nothing else to do but enjoy all the subtle nuances of the cigar itself. It also makes what would have been an ordinary day into an extraordinary day. Of course, as others have so sagely suggested everyday truly is a gift!

Yeah I have a Fuente Fuente Opus with some age on it I got from the newbie sampler trade that I have been wanting to smoke but I just can't bring myself to do it. I do save cigars for special occasions or at least social occasions but not all my super premiums. I smoked my first VSG on a random weeknight the other day.

Yeah I have a Fuente Fuente Opus with some age on it I got from the newbie sampler trade that I have been wanting to smoke but I just can't bring myself to do it. I do save cigars for special occasions or at least social occasions but not all my super premiums. I smoked my first VSG on a random weeknight the other day.

I have 2 humis

1 150 count 80 percent full with the usual suspects for daily smoking.

1 20 count withe some special ones. I keep it in a dark closet and only open it about twice a month to check, smell and oogle.
Just want to get some good age on them before I torch em.

I got some smokes from MMBURTCH a while back and one was an Opus.
When I inquired about its age Matt replied "Not yet, its resting"
So I will wait patiently for that one.

It is pretty rare that I have a premium stick to smoke. I have had a couple given by very generous BOTLs here. All the premiums I have ever had in my possession have been smoked on a very special occasion. This special occasion must be accompanied by great weather, no wind, time to kill, etc. I have a couple premiums left and yes, they are aging and waiting for that next special occasion.