• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saving it for a special day..

hbooker

Cigar DJ
Hello everyone.
Hope everything in your lives is going great - If not hope it gets great soon!

When I started out with cigars the first online place I visited and joined was right here. Yep this little site - I was sent here by a guy who said hey there is a great bunch of guys who hang out at CP.

My experience here has been great, other than the bumpy learning curve I set myself upon earlier when I was a _________ and a _________. But thats all for another post. I will post it soon..hopefully newer guys can learn from it..
MY point is that I got a few cigars early on that I was just sure I would never see again so I horded them up and saved them for a special day.
One New years eve I smoked a BTL, well I now have to look twards every day being a special day - here's why (no Im not dying from some mysterious thing)

A family I know called me up (Im a cigar distributor now) and they asked me If I would come over and check on their father inlaws cigar collection - and buy it.. He died and left it and they want to get rid of it.
That simply made me look at gee am I collecting cigars? I mean if your a collector that s great - go for it.
But if you are hanging on to your first opus, maybe a cuban that someone gave you.. I encourage you to smoke it. Yep just break down and smoke it.

A funny thing happened when I started smoking those "fancy saved cigars"
I would select one or two when a friend would visit and I would hand one to them knowing that they never tried one and I would fire it up and share the exerience.

Well I can honestly tell you that every expereience like this is far worth more to me now than simply looking at a nice gar and being affraid to torch it.

Probably the most Ironic thing is once I started doing this, I began to have more cigars also. Its a weird math that I hope I never quite figgure out.

SO anyway,
If your hanging on to a smoke - fire it up and tell us about your experience.
[if your a collector ignore me :lookup: ]

Hb

all i can say is WOW!!
excellent insight HB. you really made
me think :lookup: i mean you can't
take it with you right?

in heaven there are no cigars, so smoke 'em while you
got 'em or someone else will be smokin' 'em.(to the tune of
in heaven there is no beer)

todd

I'm in full agreement with you. A freind taught me that from another list. He occassionally sends me cigars - you know the ones I usually rave about them, like the Trini `98, the Aged Anejo Shark, upcoming soon the 1926 Padron, original release Anejo, etc.

You see when he gifts me these cigars it comes with a string... I have to smoke them within a couple weeks.

Why? Because cigars are for experiencing life. Sure, like everyone I have a couple "special" cigars that I am hanging onto for a real special day, but they are also ones that I have had before, so I know about them - they aren't ones I have never tried, so I don;t kow what I am missing ;) I also do my best to ensure my "special" cigars I have at least 2 of. Why? So I can share the experience with a buddy or two.

Right now I have 2 Opus X RdC that I am delibertly waiting until Feb. for. That's because a friend of mine that I have been introducing to the world of cigars will be coming to visit us in Feb. and my plan is to sit back with him with these 2 cigars and enjoy.

Anyway didn't mean to get long winded, but I am in full agreement with you. Cigars are great to collect, but they are also for smoking and for experience and often times the best times are with a friend.

Sam

I just always buy at least two...one to save and the others to smoke.

That's what I do too Matt. If I don't like the first one, but think it's a good cigar, sometimes I'll gift the second to someone else in hopes that they will like it better than I did.

The only ones I'm really hanging on to are my OpusX 666 and the OpusX 'A' that I'm going to smoke when the Saints win the superbowl. That one will likely crumble before I ever get to light it.

I like Matt's line of thinking here. My problem is I'm having a very hard time pulling out those real special smokes gifted to me. So I'm tipping my cap to Hb for setting me straight on this one. Friends don't give me sticks just to have me secret them away in the dark depths of my humidor. Duh! Thanks for the post Hb.

I am a collector of good things, but I do just about the same thing Matt said, I will get one try it and then save the other, I by now thanks to god knows how many trades/bombs/gifts, have quite a collection, but by no means is it large. I try not to measure the amount of my collection, but by the quality. I will as time goes on, smoke them, or if they where not apart of a bomb or a gift(I refuse to trade cigars that where a gift to me.) I will then trade the other cigars away for, as you can guess other cigars, I view cigar collecting the same as my other passion wine collecting. I just love to look at them and also smoking them. Overall I just find the past-time of smoking and collecting a great stress reliever, it helps me unwind from my job. There thats my 2 cents. :)

This is a great thread! Until recently I was pretty much smoking the same 3 or 4 brands all of the time. I would sometimes buy a few "special" cigars to let sit for some special unforeseen event. Eventually I would smoke them anyway and afterwards wished that I was smoking those all along. Now I enjoy trying all kinds of cigars and even if I have a bad one I at least learned what I don't want to smoke.
CP is turning out to be a great place for me to get some cigars that I couldn't find or would not have thought to try. I figure if I never smoke some of the cigars I have acquired I will never know how great they really are. Even worse I could have the "collection mentality" with cigars that are actually not that good anyway.

Keep up the good work CP brothers! We are awsome for all the great stuff we do for each other! :thumbs:

Gator

Iagree with buying two,The weekend is coming,share one with a friend.The favor will be returned.JUST SMOKE IT! :D

You know, I think that was exactly the pep talk i was looking for :)

I'll bet now that my Monte Platinum, Trinidad, and gifted AF will be gone be work tuesday! :thumbs:

Cheers,
Dixie

Interesting insight from today's birthday boy :D

If I find a "special" smoke, I'll usually smoke it right away. If I'm lucky enough to get a few of them, I'll smoke one first to see if it really is that special then save the others to share with friends at a card game or a Herf ;)

And by the way, what ever happened to LuckyDawg and FatherTiresius :0

I have half a dozen special cigar that I am saving. But so far, each of them has a "smoke on" date. But I am a firm believer of smoking one if you have a few. On the other hand, I am also a firm believer of earmarking special cigars for a special date.

Emo

My Opus X "Twin Towers" A doesn't get smoked until Bin Laden is caught/killed.

dixieland_conjunction said:
You know, I think that was exactly the pep talk i was looking for :)

I'll bet now that my Monte Platinum, Trinidad, and gifted AF will be gone be work tuesday! :thumbs:

Cheers,
Dixie
Hahahaha.....so that's what I thought was so special when I'd been here only 2 weeks. My how my definition of special smokes has changed since then! ;)

Currently I have only one super special smoke and it's been earmarked - my 1980 ISOM Monte A to have on my 25th B-Day :thumbs:

Cheers,
Dixie

Except for the 1956 Punch I'm saving I decided to do just what is suggested. My saved 1998 Monte "A" went last week and a gifted Davidoff will go soon.

My boss was addicted to buying watches on ebay, then clothes, then shoes, etc. I have more $750 dress shirts in my closet than most Americans(gifted to me by him), that I will never wear. I got him to go to the Big Smoke here in '00 and we went three of the last four years. That first Christmas after the '00 Big Smoke, he tells me that he got me a gift that wouldn't be here for about a week or so. A week later, he hands me my gift, all wrapped up. I could smell the cedar. It was a box of CAO Cammie Robustos, the same cigar we had smoked that November Saturday night with all the herfers at the Big Smoke. It was my first box of cigars, and I was and still am amazed by those cigars. I had never purchased any decent sticks before he gave me those. The only day of the year that we could seem to get together to have a cigar together was on Big Smoke day. Three years ago Circuit City changed the mgmt structure in the stores, so we rarely had a day off together. Before that, we always managed to play golf 6-8 times together in the sprig/summer and we always smoked one while on the golf course. Three years ago, I got married to my beautiful wife during the time we were opening a new store in Vegas. My wife got pregnant a few months later, and I didn't have the time to spare to go golfing after my son was born. Anyway, I showed Dennis, CBid, last fall. And yes, he became addicted to CBid, too. Always buying maduro cigars of all brands, even popping for the big Verona(3000 stick) humidor a week or so before Christmas. Working opposite schedules during our busiest time of the year, I didn't notice how terrible he had been feeling the past month or so. We closed the store together on Christmas Eve, reflecting on a good season for us and making plans to have poker nights, smoker nights, or any night to get together more often and enjoy the cigars he was purchising. We never got the chance. On the early morning of December 27, Dennis had a fatal heart attack. After his funeral, his wife asked me to come and get some of his cigars. She had already contacted CBid and sent back the Verona and a number of boxes that were delivered after hs death. She gave me his very first humdor that he purchased, glass door on the front and about 3' high by 2' wide, plus a whole bunch of sticks. Her and I took inventory and found that he had approximately 25 boxes of cigars, besides what was given to me. With the values that I gave her, she ended up selling them for about $.50 on the dollar, which she donated to the SPCA. Thank you for letting me express myself here, I found out the hard way that life is too short, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Don't hold back. Gregor

This thread is depressing. I know its not the intended point, but what I get from it is cigar smokers die suddenly. ???