• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saving it for a special day..

other1 said:
This thread is depressing. I know its not the intended point, but what I get from it is cigar smokers die suddenly. ???
Heart disease is the no.1 killer in the US. Eating better an exercising will do a lot more to help that than not smoking cigars. ;)

other1 said:
This thread is depressing. I know its not the intended point, but what I get from it is cigar smokers die suddenly. ???
Sorry guys, that wasn't my point. Dennis lived a full life and enjoyed every minute of it. I wish I had more time with him, as he was truly like a second father to me. I'm agreeing with eliminating the rational for holding onto cigars for special occasions. Let's enjoy what we have with our friends and BOTL's. Gregor

nice thread!
I'm thoroughly enjoying reading everybody's smoking vs. stashing habits.

it's something I'm *always* thinking about as a record collector. "to keep in mint/unplayed condition (when possible) or to play the heck out of it and enjoy it as it was 'intended' to be?"
cigars are a little different for me since I'm pretty new to it all, and don't have a nice stash of well-aged gars that I've nurtured for years...so it's easy to just say "aw, hell with it...just blaze on through them!". also something that I think would make the decision (to smoke or not to smoke) even more difficult is that cigars are, by nature, a one-time-only thing (unlike, say, records).
one other similarity between cigar and record collecting (for me) is my over-obsessing about optimal storage! a scratch or warping on a rare slab-o-vinyl is about as bad as mold or a beetle-sighting on an a perfectly aged havana (or so I imagine).
actually, not unlike Matt's cigar buying habit (buy two...one to smoke, one to save), I do the same exact thing with records (well, except I don't actually smoke the records, per se), when I know I'll want that mint copy tucked away.

I like to think that I'll have the willpower to allow the cigars that "deserve" to be aged to sit in my humidor until they're "ready"...and then that I'll have the willpower to know that it's time to do with them what was intended to be done with them!
someone said it well...can't take 'em with us when we go!
;)

I saw 'Super Size Me', the documentary about fast food and obesity in America tonight, so I guess it has me worrying about my health.

Back to the original subject... I am a bit of a hoarder, but I'm starting to realize its silly. I don't smoke often enough that I need to not smoke my 'good' cigars at every chance. That being said, whenever I have a chance to get something unusualy or that I've been looking for I try to buy 2 so I'll have one left if I smoke one right away.

I have quite a few cigars that I'm letting age but not "saving". I had tried one from the 5 packs because I'm impatient and decided that they need more time. I can think of only a handful of cigars I'm saving for a special occasion. A few were brought back from Cuba by my father last year. Those I'm "saving".

Since I don't smoke every day (3-4 cigars a week maybe), I see no need to have nothing but what I know to be a good cigar. One of the best cigars I ever smoked was the Padron Millennium I (Thanks Moki) that I didn't "save". No more saving...unless it's for a special occasion of course ;) .

There is a definate difference between saving and aging. With some sticks, you just know that they need some time resting.