• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saw my first Glass top Cohiba box today!

Gonz

Ultra Runner
At the supermarket of all places, I saw for the first time the fabled glass top Cohiba box! Wow, it was so hard to resist! And it was sitting on the counter as well, in an 85 degree store with what feels like 1000% humidity!

I also saw a box of PSD 4's of varying shapes and sizes at the duty free shop at the airport. Only $14 a piece, what a steal! The size/shape thing was not actually terrible, but the dozen sticks in the box were of varying length by about 1/4 inch, and the ring size varied by a point or two. I think they may have taken an old, genuine box to put them in, since it had the appropriate seals (broken or course), and OSU NOV 04 box code, but I could be remembering that wrong.

Anyways, just a fun find!

Make sure you pick some up to trade with us when you get back!!!!!

Aren't those the most sought after ISOM's? :p

Very recently I had a colleague present me with a box of "kohiba esplendido glass tops" as his contribution to help celebrate my daughter's upcoming wedding.... Of course I did not say a negative word about these well known fakes - if you saw the joyful enthusiasm with which he presented me with the box you would understand --- It is really a shame how some people seek to make their living from ripping other folks off... I have added these sticks to my "moocher" asssortment..fair warning - if we are playing golf and you bum a cigar from me while we are on the course - if it is an Esplendido - it's a fake... Now on the 19th hole when accompanied by a wonderful adult beverage - that's a different story. :)

I went to a much more reputable looking cigar shop today, and they had an entire walk in humidor filled with fakes. Here's my criteria. First of all, I'm just assuming everything is fake here because there's no Habanos SA dealers, which is a big assumption. Second, at this shop none of the boxes had any kind of seals or Habanos seals, none of the boxes had heat stamped box codes, and they just simply were not the right boxes for the cigars. For example, most of the Cohibas, that I know for a fact come in a cube style/cabinet box, were lined up in a standard two row box. But maybe I'm wrong about that. Third, they had the token glass top Cohibas.

Now this just amazes me. They must have had several thousand cigars in there, and they are all fakes? That's alot of counterfeit bands and time spent making whatever these were look like Habanos. I guess one clue is that they didn't have any of the "not-so-famous" brands. Just lots of Cohibas, Montes, RyJ. And lots of cigars with EL bands from 2004. If these were not fakes I would have been in heaven!

Oh well, just real frustrating. Especially seeing these two guys in there so excited because they just dropped a fat wad of cash on "Cubans". Well, they got screwed, but will probably not know the better of it and I guess they are happy. I'm going to start a new thread about people and their fakes, and how to approach telling someone they got hosed.

I got a box of fakes as a present from a friend who visited the DR. I smoked one just for fun and it was awful. The cigar was downright spongy, the draw was so open....anyway it was just terrible.

I kept them around a while as a novelty (stupidly, I kept them in my regular humidor)....needless to say, they had bugs! I ended up running my entire stash through a 6-day decontamination cycle of fridge-freezer-fridge. I tossed those "kohibas", but kept the glass-topped box.

Be careful!

I saw a first too, Cohiba Esplendido tubos. I haven't even heard of that one before. They looked cool though, in a platinum color tubo.

I was at a UCONN football game last year pretty lit up (as usual) with a cigar in my yap when some clown comes up to me with a box of Glass-Top Cohibas and tells me I could have Cubans for $20. So I look him in the eyes and hollered "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A COHIBA IN A GLASS TOP BOX!!

He said "They do that so you can see what your buying, THEY think of everything."

I looked at him and just yelled "FAKE" at the top of my lungs. There wasn't a player on the football field that day who ran as fast as that guy did! I hope I ruined a few sales for him.

I took a trip to Costa Rica back in october 04. At the time I didn't smoke
cigars but my brother did. An aquaintance down there had a box of glass top
cohibas and I didn't know any better so I bought the box from him for $80.00
I put them in my luggage and was worried about customs. Luckily, they made it through although they were fakes.

To make a long story short, my brother lit one up and said " you've been had"!

Generally, most people buying these fakes are usually buying for someone
else. at least it was only $80 dollars, not $580. :p

Sidewinder