• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch and Cigar matchings

celticmanx

Like a good meal can be paired with a great wine and in the effort to broaden ones mind, remaining open to new things...

I'm currious to peoples opinions on what Scotches are best paired with what Cigars

I look forward to seeing what you all list and trying a few!

I am in support of this topic, as I am trying to figure out which cigar goes well with the scotch I currently own.

Here's to seeing some good replies!

-Jonathan

I cracked and got Dalmore's cigar malt.

By itself it's not that impressive but with a cigar it's just great. I tried it with a Don Thomas Robusto (well I think it was a robusto) and with a Romeo y Julieta #2.

There is a kind of tobacco and alcool bar near and I asked the hot clerk what would be a good mix. She told me that about every cuban would be good. As for the scotch, not something sweet. Try something strong and smoky. I said I had some Bruichladdich and Glenmorangie. She said it wouldn't be a good match.

But I still am a noob here so I wish some more experimented people will come and tell us more :)

Call me plain and simple, but I prefer Johnnie Walker Black label (or on a good day Gold) and a Opus X Double Robusto (or WOAM)

I may be a little different than most of you, but if I'm drinking a really good scotch or smoking a really good cigar, I don't believe in pairing them together. I often smoke a good cigar after drinking but usually not together as I like to have a clean, clear palate to enjoy at least that 1st glass of whisky.

I will smoke a cigar while drinking a more moderate whisky but not usually with something like Johnnie Walker Blue, Macallan 25 or Glenfiddich 30 as the complexity of these whiskies would be lost.

That being said when I pair cigars and scotch I try to match over all flavor profiles, paying particular attention to the strength of both. In other words, don't pair a strong cigar with a mild whisky or the other way around as one will over power the other. If I were going to error on one side or the other, I'd lean towards a medium to mild cigar to pair with any scotch. But then again my palate for whisky is more refined than my palate for cigars.

If I had to name one type of scotch that goes best with a cigar, I would say an Islay like Lagavulin or Laphroaig. I find these to be almost to strong to enjoy alone. I know Coventry Cat will disagree. ???

Celtic,
My suggestion is to name your favorite scotch or two and let someone here pick out a cigar that would go well with it.

I believe any cigar will diminish the scotch experience. On the other hand, there's no way I'm drinking and not smoking.

Doc.

I have been on a kick lately of Caol Ila with Tat Reds & Tat brown labels, and a few LE ISOMs. Also recently paired a GOF robusto with Ardbeg Airigh Nam Biest and it was out of this world. I like Mcallan with mild cigars like Fonseca. I like my Lagavulin 16 with just about any of the stronger ISOMs.

I am pretty simple I guess but most of my nights are Talisker and a Best Seller. Maybe I have had so many that now they just "seem" to go together! :laugh:

I just bought a few Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No 2.

Let's test that "perfect match".

(ok, let's test it in 3 months)