• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch for a bourbon lover?

I'm a bourbon guy, or at least I think that's what I call it. I have over 70 open bourbons on the bar currently! My SMS opens on the bar would be Laphroaig 15 ( one of my favorites) which I get a little bit of fruity-ness up front as well as Glenfiddich 10yr which is quite mellow and very enjoyable (yes I know they do not make this one anymore) A Scotch buddy was over the other night and says it's close to the current 12 yr so you might give that a try! The other 2 you may not want to step into would be the Ardbeg line, I have "the beast" Nam Beist and a 1977 open! Very Iodine and smoked flavors with a green apple taste to them! I do like Johnny Walker as well but that's the extent of my SMS I have!

Hope this helps and good luck with your journey into Scotch!

Cheers!

Tony

I love bourbon, it is an individual persuit though. One man's topshelf taste is another man's gag reflexor. It is all about flavor and enjoyment, if a 15 dollar bottle makes you happy while Pappy Van Winkle's makes you sick so be it...enjoy your bourbon because you like it, not because an 'expert' said so. More specifically Tennessee Whikey, such as Jack Daniel's. The single barrel is a good sipping whiskey, but Jack does not make a bad product in my opinion. KY bourbons that are really good include: Premium/small batch - Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve, Blanton's, Jefferson's Reserve, Knob Creek, Old Weller Antique, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace and Bulleit Bourbon. Higher volume production - The Jim Beam line is a fine everyday whiskey, Although they say otherwise I consider Maker's Mark this type of 'Whisky', Elmer T. Lee, W.L. Weller or 12 yr. Old Weller are cheaper, but very fine whiskey.

I am really gettinf worried about my eyesight...I saw scotch OR bourbon lover? Then posted and just saw FOR...sorry for the rambling...you sir already know your bourbon.

For someone who has never drank Scotch and is starting from a Bourbon standpoint. I would say it depends on what kind of bourbon they drink first of all.

But one of the things a Bourbon drinker will obviously experience in Scotch is the smoothness. One of the other things would obviously be the "peat."

So I would recommend a few Spey's to start of a Bourbon drinker with. I would think that they would enjoy the smoothness and they would be less offended by the light peat. So here would be my suggestions.

1. Glenlivet
2. Glenfiddich 12 and Sola Reserva
3. The Macallan

After that, if they wanted to venture into some more peat I would suggest;

1. Balvenie
2. The Dalmore

If they wanted a more inexpensive blend I would suggest nothing other then Dewar's White. If they asked about Chivas or Dewar's 12 I would refer them to 12 year single malts.

Dave