• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch Recommendations

Hows the 21?

Adding another to the list - Laphroiag 4 Oak

Just got a bottle today and it's very nice indeed. Priced around €65 here for a 750ml.

Alright Jon, I bought Bowmore 12 today and recently picked up Oban Little Bay, Ardberg Uigeadail, and Glenfarclas 21. If cigars are breaking my bank account scotch and bourbon will. LOL
Holy cannoli! That's a good selection, just how far away from Michigan are you. 🤔

@Hixs I picked up some Bowmore 12 and some Port Charlotte. Thanks for the Recommendation. @AVB, I looked for Talisker, but they were out.

Bowmore is one I found I sipped slow. A decent pour of the 15 I have atm will last an hour easy. A similar pour of a laphroiag can be gone in 10-20mins. I need to grab a bottle of the cask strength 10 at some point. See what it's like 'full-fat'.

I've got some 140 proof rum which gets sipped even slower :D tasty though.

Some Chivas 12 for me.

I was morally outraged when I found it had a screw top :eek:😂 That's like buying red wine with a fake cork to me - nooooo!

Can't say I'm digging the Chivas. If I were to buy a 'cheap' blend it would still have to be the classic that is Monkey Shoulder. I didn't like my first bottle of that, but at the time I was fully immersed into finding the hardest hitting Islays I could, so it was pretty bland beyond the first few sips were I got a citrus explosion. Bought a 2nd bottle after I moved on from being a 'peat' guy. Much improved that time. t's a steal @€23.

Recommended if you've never tried it.

Some Chivas 12 for me.

I was morally outraged when I found it had a screw top :eek:😂 That's like buying red wine with a fake cork to me - nooooo!

Can't say I'm digging the Chivas. If I were to buy a 'cheap' blend it would still have to be the classic that is Monkey Shoulder. I didn't like my first bottle of that, but at the time I was fully immersed into finding the hardest hitting Islays I could, so it was pretty bland beyond the first few sips were I got a citrus explosion. Bought a 2nd bottle after I moved on from being a 'peat' guy. Much improved that time. t's a steal @€23.

Monkey shoulder is awesome.

Please forgive me, new to this forum (was a CA and CFL person before). Until I saw the Chivas thread I thought we could only discuss Single malt. I am a fan of some blends. My go to is Famous Grouse. (Scots friend said it is also his "everyday scotch). I also picked up overseas some Sir John's overseas, and not bad.

Whiskey is whiskey!

If you like blended then that is just grand.

Monkey Shoulder is always a buy for me. I've not had famous grouse. I'll pick up a bottle.

Some Chivas 12 for me.

We have been into Monkey Shoulder for some time now. You can read my review from 2005 here, :)

Last edited:
We have been into Monkey Shoulder for some time now. You can read my review from 2005 here, :)
Wrong link buddy

Nice ninja edit!

It's a good drop no doubt. Dont get the mint myself. In fact drinking some now, so we'll see!

If am allowed to mention Blends, I am a big fan of Famous Grouse. If you like it smoky there is Black Grouse.

I’ve been interested in trying Black Grouse but I can only get it in a handle size. That’s a lot of scotch- which is good if it’s palatable or bad if it’s not.
I will find some soon and report back, not that I'm a authority on scotch. But I have had enough to tell if I like it.

I will find some soon and report back, not that I'm a authority on scotch. But I have had enough to tell if I like it.
Curious for your take on it. Not as smoky to me S say Oban but still good. I am no expert but like you, I know what I like.

Question for anyone on this thread. Any new recommendations or something that's in your current wheelhouse? Bought a Port Askaig 110 and a Kilchoman Sanaig today.

Because independent botlers will never have the consistency of a real distillery it is hard to recommend something that may have limited distribution and quantity. Port Askaig is an Islay source that changes somewhat for each release. I think it is usually Caol Ila myself but you can take that for what it is worth.

Kilchoman has been producing some interesting scotch for a fairly new distillery. Once they have some 10-15 year old stock I'm betting it will be right up there with the best of the Islays. I haven't bought anything consistently from them but just try a different release now and then. Finding new scotch is part of the enjoyment IMO.