• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Seal around hygrometer?

theronray

Remember, Remember, the 5th of November
I just purchased desktop humidor from a certain bidding site.  The hygrometer is an analog model, that fits into a cutout in the front of the humidor.  My question is this:  After taking the hygrometer out, calibrating it, & returning it back in it's place, should I put some sort of seal (silicon?) around the hole inside the humidor?  It seems that since the hygrometer slides out rather easily, that this would be a prime place for humidity to escape.  Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

theronray you shouldn't rely on that analog hygrometer as those are inaccurate and junk. Get yourself a digital one for about twenty bucks and make sure that you calibrate it. You can usually get a package deal from Boveda that gets you a digital hygrometer and a one step calibration kit. 

As for sealing the around your analog one - yes I would. Be sure to use an aquarium grade silicon. Hopefully you do this prior to putting any cigars in it. Don't forget to season your humidor as well which could take up to weeks. You can use some 84 RH Boveda Packs specifically for seasoning desktop humidors.

There is pinned information on seasoning your humidor and calibrating hygrometers.

One more thing be sure to use your search feature as a lot of these topics have been discussed at lengths. 

Hope this helps.

I have begun the seasoning & I'm calibrating both the analog & a digital hygrometer as I type this.  I just wasn't sure about putting a seal around the hole.  Thanks for the advice though.  Also, I would not have thought to use an aquarium grade silicon.  Appreciate the heads up for that.

I'll be sure to search the forums next time, though.  Thanks again.

Light this! gave you great advice, and the reason you want to seal the analog hygrometer before you season, is so the silicone can dry with the humidor open to make sure it drys properly and the smell disappears... Once it is dry, then you can season it and put your sticks in it.

CigSid, glad I saw this.  I just removed the the paper towels from the humidor & left it open.  Luckily, they had only been in the box for a couple hours.  So hopefully no damage done.

Thanks for the advice from both of you.

How are you seasoning your humidor? Are you putting wet paper towels soaked in distilled water? If so PM me your address so that I can send you some of the 84 RH seasoning packs that I have. I have quite a few still sealed in their packets that I will never use.

Light this! said:
How are you seasoning your humidor? Are you putting wet paper towels soaked in distilled water? If so PM me your address so that I can send you some of the 84 RH seasoning packs that I have. I have quite a few still sealed in their packets that I will never use.

You know, I have to work overtime just to be half as nice as you Kris...

CigSid said:

You know, I have to work overtime just to be half as nice as you Kris...

Both of you are far too kind.

Click on the links in the first post of each of those threads. They are the best guides you will find. Kris and Bill gave you great advice.

Let me give you a bit more. Once you reinstall the hygrometer into the face of your humidor with the proper silicon don't take it out again. I am actually surprised it came out to begin with. These are purely decoration since a digital is so much better. The analog and digital will be off all the time so don't trust the analog. If you are wanting them to be close once you are all up and running and your digital has been calibrated just simply adjust the analog in place to match the digital.

Good luck and let us know how it works out
Paul

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I'm reading the other links provided now.

Light This!, check your inbox.

Thanks again!

I'm going to seal mine too just for the hell of it. Couldn't hurt. Love this forum. Great advice.