• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Secondary Fermentation: Your thoughts

Been looking to hit up Brouwland, it's a little over an hour for me. Thanks.

we should get together and make a trip, or at least meet up there
Sounds good to me. Let me figure out when I can make it. Been trying to get another reservation for 12 and if we don't then I should have a few hours to devote to the brew store. Plus I got another guy pestering me about going.

To be honest, I am out of town for the month of April, so dont wait on me, but it will be May before i can get there

HHAAAAAAAAA!!! That might just be the funniest pic I've seen today.

Trey

You like that Trey? That's Jonny's (Stoggie13's) son, Eric. Cute kid, eh? :laugh: He dressed him up for Halloween last year as Nacho Libre!

I usually secondary... mostly becasue I lack primaries. I have somehow picked up about 10 5 G fermenters... so i use them as secondaries. Oxidation should never be an issue.... the only time i REALY thnik it matters is for laggering.....(thats secondaries not oxidation)

Trying to make sense of that post /\/\ but just can't. Hmm

May sounds good to me Tim. Will be in touch.

I usually secondary... mostly becasue I lack primaries. I have somehow picked up about 10 5 G fermenters... so i use them as secondaries. Oxidation should never be an issue.... the only time i REALY thnik it matters is for laggering.....(thats secondaries not oxidation)

Trying to make sense of that post /\/\ but just can't. Hmm

May sounds good to me Tim. Will be in touch.

I think he uses secondaries to free up his primaries, if i have the time and nothing on tap to brew, i w ill just let mine sit in the primary for a weeks, until I am ready to bottle.
5 gallon primaries are kinda small, so I think he has 10 vessels to secondary in....

Ok, we will work something out for May after I get back from all my travels

t

Wow, I can't believe how many homebrewers are on here. I have been brewing for a few years now so I know much more about brewing than I do cigars. I can tell you that I never secondary anything. If I had 5 gallon carboys (which I don't have any) laying around then I probably would just to free up a primary while I was waiting for a keg to open up.

I do secondary meads though.

MX, where do you shop for your ingredients? I have been wanting some RIS and am out of luck for buying it here. So I'm going to make up multiple batches of my famous (to me) RIS to share around the office.

I either order on line through Rebel Brewer, or I shop locally(if you call 1 hour drive local) at Brouwland. I need to make a trip and see what is new at Brouwland, as I have been away for 3 months.

As for plastic, I was not trying to say anything on way or another, I cant afford glass...cost to much at the local, and too much to ship

A big negative on Rebel for me. They took over a week to get back to me to tell me that it would take them a day or two to figure out how much shipping would be for USPS. He would have to box it all up and take it to the PO and get the estimate. Apparently he has never heard of boxing it up and weighing it, and getting the dimensions. I said no problem. Well over another week later no messages, so I told him to cancel. A very fast and enthusiastic email from him saying okay. So they are out of the question, especially when I get back to the States. Sucks, because they had decent pricing.

But Midwest blew Rebel away and shipped my stuff within a day of ordering. No questions asked, and miraculously they have some magic on their site that estimates via USPS. Who would of thought you could get an estimate without dragging a big box down to the PO.

Oh, and I hit up Brouwland last weekend. Nice, big store. Base grains are priced insanely awesome compared to buying bags back in the US right now. I saw people having to use group buy strategies to get the prices we can get on grain retail here. Will be brewing in a couple of weeks (on Big Brew Day) if you want to swing down here. Will be testing out all my new gear.

A big negative on Rebel for me. They took over a week to get back to me to tell me that it would take them a day or two to figure out how much shipping would be for USPS. He would have to box it all up and take it to the PO and get the estimate. Apparently he has never heard of boxing it up and weighing it, and getting the dimensions. I said no problem. Well over another week later no messages, so I told him to cancel. A very fast and enthusiastic email from him saying okay. So they are out of the question, especially when I get back to the States. Sucks, because they had decent pricing.

But Midwest blew Rebel away and shipped my stuff within a day of ordering. No questions asked, and miraculously they have some magic on their site that estimates via USPS. Who would of thought you could get an estimate without dragging a big box down to the PO.

Oh, and I hit up Brouwland last weekend. Nice, big store. Base grains are priced insanely awesome compared to buying bags back in the US right now. I saw people having to use group buy strategies to get the prices we can get on grain retail here. Will be brewing in a couple of weeks (on Big Brew Day) if you want to swing down here. Will be testing out all my new gear.

I am not sure if they will ship to Germany but check out www.brewmasterswarehouse.com. It is a new company and the guy that started it is on a brewing forum I am on. He was a long time member there even before he started the company. He has amazing customer service and pricing. It is the only online brewstore I will use.

Or do you buk condition your meads?

I bulk age 6-9 months then bottle.

I am not sure if they will ship to Germany but check out www.brewmasterswarehouse.com. It is a new company and the guy that started it is on a brewing forum I am on. He was a long time member there even before he started the company. He has amazing customer service and pricing. It is the only online brewstore I will use.

I've seen him on HBT, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't ship. No matter, I'll make do while I'm over here. Thanks for the heads up.

And for bulk aging, you go tertiary? I've done so with meads and have had good results. I was just trying to clarify between secondary and bulk aging. I usually secondary to drop anything else out, cold crash, then move to something else to age.

I've seen him on HBT, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't ship. No matter, I'll make do while I'm over here. Thanks for the heads up.

And for bulk aging, you go tertiary? I've done so with meads and have had good results. I was just trying to clarify between secondary and bulk aging. I usually secondary to drop anything else out, cold crash, then move to something else to age.

With mead I bulk age in secondary or at least I was planning on it. I went to bottle yesterday and the mead was dryer than hell so I just racked it into a tertiary and am probably either going to fruit it or just back sweeten.

Whats your username on HBT?

With mead I bulk age in secondary or at least I was planning on it. I went to bottle yesterday and the mead was dryer than hell so I just racked it into a tertiary and am probably either going to fruit it or just back sweeten.

Whats your username on HBT?
I don't like bulking in the secondary for that reason, and I seem to get off flavors every now and then. Mostly on my meads though. Big beers I will sometimes throw them in tertiary to get them off the trub for extended bulk aging. But I don't seem to get the same off flavors or dryness as I do with meads. Granted I have only made mead a handful of times, but it turns out well enough that I am always on the lookout for a good deal on honey when I'm out shopping.

And my username is the same as here.

MX, where do you shop for your ingredients? I have been wanting some RIS and am out of luck for buying it here. So I'm going to make up multiple batches of my famous (to me) RIS to share around the office.

I either order on line through Rebel Brewer, or I shop locally(if you call 1 hour drive local) at Brouwland. I need to make a trip and see what is new at Brouwland, as I have been away for 3 months.

As for plastic, I was not trying to say anything on way or another, I cant afford glass...cost to much at the local, and too much to ship

Chunk, so sorry about bailing..I am just about ready to fire things up again, my job got me super busy and i put in a few trips with the family as well.
I will be making a run in the next 2 weeks, i hope, to the Brouwland Store, they have some great prices right now, and i wanna see if the have a Irish yeast

t

edit: somehow it double posted