• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

Damn you guys.....I read this forum and got to thinking about a box in the attic. I had been given a bunch of junk that my grandmother was throwing out...I shoved it in the attic. I decided to thumb through it and found the razor below. Looks like a 48-50 Superspeed because of the lack of date code and a notch in the blade holder I read that it's a decent razor...looks like I'm of to get some blades and a starter kit....

Yep, that's what it is. Very good, "mild" razor. Excellent learner---in fact my first one was the same model and I passed it on to my nephew when he decided to try traditional wet shaving.

Try some TOBS Eton College for a soft cream, or Mama Bear's Tuscan Memories for a glycerin-based soap. They both smell absolutely fantastic and make great lather. :thumbs:

~Boar

Picked up some Feathers from that fleabay link...and some 'blue' 7 O'clock blades.

Thanks!

I'm a fan of big Speick and D.R. Harris Arlington for soaps. Love the scents! As for creams, I've only used Taylor of Old Bond Street (or TOBS) as mentioned. Been using soap exclusively for the past year or so, might be time to start using cream once in a while.

Speick, Musgo Real, and good old Aqua Velva can't be beat for aftershaves!

Now for another big question for you guys starting out......face or bowl lather?:laugh:

Bowl. More control IMHO.

Bowl.... I am constantly messing with the amount of water I use.

I'm a dedicated face latherer . . . I've tried bowls, but I like working the lather directly into my whiskers. Plus it's faster!

~Boar

I'm a dedicated face latherer . . . I've tried bowls, but I like working the lather directly into my whiskers. Plus it's faster!

~Boar

It is definitely faster! Which is why I've been face lathering since I started to use soaps. Just easier and quicker.

Got the ravors in

Got the Feather New Hi-STAINLESS plat. coated and the Gillete 7 o'clock russian blades.

What's with all the 'glue'???

...and how do you remove it?

I don't think you do remove it...most people put it in the razor with the glue on it, although I read of some issues with them sticking to the razor.....and or causing the blade to rust where it is applied.

Yes. Well, it's definitely a good price for a decent, American-made straight razor. You could spend twice that or more on a vintage one, and then twice as much again restoring it. If the full set, strops and brush, isn't too much of an add on you'll need all that stuff anyway to get started.

Find a honemeister to set the razor up for you before you shave with it. I don't care what they say about "hand sharpened," have it professionally honed.

~Boar

Got a DE shave set for Christmas. I like it. Now I need to get some more soaps, blades and stuff.

I also got a DE set this Christmas. After tearing my face apart the first shave things have improved dramatically. Time to go back a read this thread from the beginning!

Just noticed this thread. One of the members here (Jabba, although he's been infrequent to the site like myself for awhile now) sells many shaving supplies on his website. You can check it out at:

http://www.italianbarber.com/

So yesterday, I read this entire thread. Until now, I have looked at shaving as a pain in the ass. I got to thinking, why not do it right and see if it is something that I could enjoy, and maybe I would look a little better. Until now, I have used Bics and Barbasol.

I live in a small town 200 miles from anything so unless it is sold at Walmart or Walgreens, I ain't getting it for a while. I looked at some websites and read some forums, and I am not ready to spend $200-$300 in shaving stuff yet.

I went to both of the stores and ended up with a Fusion handle and some refills. I also bought some Neutrogena Q-10 shaving cream and some of their matching after shave lotion. I am very happy for the $30.00 that I spent and people noticed the difference on the first day. My face feels better (no burning following the shave) and no shaving bumps on my neck! I actually enjoyed shaving this morning and hopefully that will continue.

Just like cigars, guns, etc. I will start small and build the collection.

So yesterday, I read this entire thread. Until now, I have looked at shaving as a pain in the ass. I got to thinking, why not do it right and see if it is something that I could enjoy, and maybe I would look a little better. Until now, I have used Bics and Barbasol.

I live in a small town 200 miles from anything so unless it is sold at Walmart or Walgreens, I ain't getting it for a while. I looked at some websites and read some forums, and I am not ready to spend $200-$300 in shaving stuff yet.

I went to both of the stores and ended up with a Fusion handle and some refills. I also bought some Neutrogena Q-10 shaving cream and some of their matching after shave lotion. I am very happy for the $30.00 that I spent and people noticed the difference on the first day. My face feels better (no burning following the shave) and no shaving bumps on my neck! I actually enjoyed shaving this morning and hopefully that will continue.

Just like cigars, guns, etc. I will start small and build the collection.

To be honest, for another ~$30 and you could have had a good wet shaving setup. An Edwin Jager Best badger brush and a Merkur HD. Really, that is all you need to start with as Williams Mug soap is sold at CVS, and I think Walgreens, for a few bucks.

I'd keep a look out for it, especially at pharmacies. It is a good soap, nothing fancy, but good none the less.