• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Silca Kitty Litter Question

defetis

Token
So today I took the risk and decided to go with the Silca kitty litter for my coolidor. I went to petsmart, and they do no carry the all white crystaled kitty litter that was pictured when I was referred to this idea. The Crystals are mostly all white, but have a mix of probably a 1/4 of blue crystals. I continued to read the thread and someone said the blue crystals dont work. Is this true? The container says the contents are odorless pure silca gel. Are the blue one just colored? They do not smell i checked. I am contimplating separating the blue from the whiteish clear, or are the blue fine to mix in?

thanks

joel

So today I took the risk and decided to go with the Silca kitty litter for my coolidor. I went to petsmart, and they do no carry the all white crystaled kitty litter that was pictured when I was referred to this idea. The Crystals are mostly all white, but have a mix of probably a 1/4 of blue crystals. I continued to read the thread and someone said the blue crystals dont work. Is this true? The container says the contents are odorless pure silca gel. Are the blue one just colored? They do not smell i checked. I am contimplating separating the blue from the whiteish clear, or are the blue fine to mix in?

thanks

joel
The blue ones could be indicators. I don't think they'll affect function in any event. I do not think you need to waste time seperating them. Follow the process posted for conditioning them, then give them a try. Give them a good sniff prior to use, though, and watch your RH carefully until you're confident that they're doing the job.

edit: these are shaped like tiny balls a couple of millimeters in diameter, right?

NO NO NO blue ones..... the crystals are rough shape like rock candy. You are looking for Exquisicat Pearls... You can use the coarse ones, but you get more powder from them. The pearls seem not to crack as much.

they are all crystaled shape? What do the blue ones do vs. the crystals?

To be honest I can't remember what the deal is with the blue ones. I do remember I read NOT to use them. Sorry I can't be of more help on that. I will search around and see what I can find.

since i have 8 pounds. i will go ahead and condition both, more just to see the difference. i will probably only used the clear ones.

Also smurf is right, the blue ones are indicators. So I ask, what do they then affect?

does anyone have any advice? ive spent 7 hours separating the blue from the rest and i only have a little over a pound of crystals! :(

If the package says they're indicators, shitcan the whole lot. C'mon litter guys, where does he get the ones he wants? I suspect he is about to wind up with a bag full of jello if he hydrates.

It is listed on Amazon but it doesn't say if it has blue bits in it or not.

It is listed on Amazon but it doesn't say if it has blue bits in it or not.

All they have is the crystals, I'm not sure if the "pearls" can be had any more. They don't have the blue in them though.

At the risk of sounding dumb...what is the point..?? What does "kitty litter" do that Viper's great 65% beads won't....??

Whack me with the "clue by four".....B.B.S.

The blue ones will give off an odor when moist. Take some and put them in a bowl and pour water on them. You will smell them for sure!

Hmm, I'm not sure if they have it anymore. I looked at their website for the one I bought and it's not there. I'm not sure if the crystal is the same as the pearls.

This is what it should look like:

kittyts0.jpg

I do remember the pearls had bad reviews when used as kitty litter. They could have pulled it.

I looked everywhere for the pearls, petsmart included, and all I could find were the crystals. Not sure how they would work.

NO NO NO blue ones..... the crystals are rough shape like rock candy. You are looking for Exquisicat Pearls... You can use the coarse ones, but you get more powder from them. The pearls seem not to crack as much.
To be honest I can't remember what the deal is with the blue ones. I do remember I read NOT to use them. Sorry I can't be of more help on that. I will search around and see what I can find.
The blue ones will give off an odor when moist. Take some and put them in a bowl and pour water on them. You will smell them for sure!

I use Safeway brand generic kitty crystals. They are 50/50 blue and white. They are unscented. Get unscented and it won't matter what color the crystals are. I use them in six coolers. Believe me when I say they work perfectly. At $8 for 4 pounds, I'm satisfied.

It doesn't matter a bit whether the crystals are bead shaped or jagged. Keep them in a dish or in a nylon stocking in a dish and you will be fine.

Wilkey

I did not know these pet care products can be used in such a way. Intriguing!!!!