• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

silica

Mr Smoker

Hi,
Whats the differnce between the beads that we know of for humidors and the one's we find in shoe boxes?
Mr Smoker

Silica only absorbs moisture.

Our beads absorb and relase moisture as needed. thus maintaining a constant RH.

Alex,

That's not entirely right.

There are two kinds of silica used in these applications. One is referred to as molecular sieve or zeolite silica and is used in chemistry. This type is identified by the fact that it does not look like transparent or translucent crystals but rather little clay pellets. We used them in the lab to achieve selective adsorption of various molecules including water. It's also used as a catalyst substrate. Zeolite is sometimes used in those dessicant packs in various moisture sensitive goods to maintain dryness.

The type that is used for kitty litter as well as the bead-type humidity regulation substance is buffered silica gel. Buffered silica gel commonly comes in the form of chunks of crystals or spheerical beads. Buffered silica gel, once conditioned upon exposure to a stable humidity will tend to retard movement of the environment from the conditioned humidty level. That is how you are able to buy 60%, 65% and 70% beads. Same material. Conditioned differently.

Because of the low moisture content of silica gels, they do not have a bountiful amount of moisture to give up if say, you leave your humi open. They will dry out. However, in a well-sealed container, they are quite effective.

So when you cut open a dessicator package, if the filling looks like opaque pellets, they are zeolite. If they look like crystals, they are silica gel, although probably not of the proper functionality to maintain moisture in a humidor.

Wilkey

What Ginseng stated is absolutely correct. But you can tell he has alot more formal training than I in chemistry.

No worries, guys.

I'm actually considering using silica in my coolers. They are far too tight to require PG/water solution. Now I just have to find a way to mount a pile into the recesses in the lid.

Wilkey

The kitty litter crystals I'm using, have been at a steady 65% for the last month. I only fed the sponge in there once last week. $9 for a 5lb bag! Sorry Viper. :whistling:

The kitty litter crystals I'm using, have been at a steady 65% for the last month. I only fed the sponge in there once last week. $9 for a 5lb bag! Sorry Viper. :whistling:

Just don't leave the lid open or you may find cat cookies instead of dog rockets in your humi :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ba-ZinG!.......Got em! :laugh: :laugh:

slevy007

~steve

Heh, I charge my pound of beads once every 3 months and don’t even own a sponge anymore. Thanks to Viper :love:

Ok now someone please tell me the difference between beads in Humidors and that found in diapers? Thanks.

Ok now someone please tell me the difference between beads in Humidors and that found in diapers? Thanks.

I had asked this question once before at a local cigar shop and they didn't know. I too am curious. Our youngest was in the pool with his mom and his diaper was soaked (with pool water). She took it off and threw it on the patio.

My oldest decided it would be fun to disect it and he opened it up and thousands of gel crystals fell out. We thought we got most, but a couple days in the sun, we stepped on a few and they were similar to the beads.

To me though, it's alot easier to order the beads than deal with wet diapers :whistling: But I am curious how similar it is or could the crystals in diapers be used.

They are the same but different (just had to say it). The main difference is that diaper beads are NOT treated to maintain a given RH, they are just there to absorb liquids (just got a visual). The beads we use in our humidors are treated to maintain a given RH level +-1 to 2%.

See this post. Superabsorbent materials inside diapers is acrylic, cellulose arcrylic or some combination with cross-linked polyvinylalcohol.

In other words, hygroscopic organic materials that absorb but not release water versus inorganic materials that absorb as well as release.

Wilkey

In other words, hygroscopic organic materials that absorb but not release water versus inorganic materials that absorb as well as release.

Thank God the diaper beads don't release "water."

Viper, I just ordered some beads from your site.

I just attempted to order some of the Viper beads, but it appears Heartland only uses Paypal for payment and that includes using a credit card without a paypal account and I REFUSE to have anything to do with paypal....is there some other option? I really want to order a # of the 70RH beads, but if using paypal in any form is the only option,then I won't do it. Any other suggestions or should I just head to the craft store and buy some wet foam?

Well, I'm sorry that you don't have trust in paypal but for me I have no problem's with them as a matter of fact, I myself are waiting for the beads from viper. I can't wait so EXCITED. I definitly would not recommend using floral foam or oasis foam simply because you have no control of humidity levels and can cause damage to humi and or cigars if not controlled properly. Get yourself some beads. How big is your humi?
Mr Smoker

Back