• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Single best practice I ever developed regarding Coffee Brewing.

Yeah, the bleached folded filters. I just lack the most basic patience to dampen the filter, get it placed correctly, and then monkey with it and obsess over it when I don't think it's filtering correctly/at the right speed. BONUS- the metal cone will be easier to bring my wife up to speed on a Chemex regimen.

Fair enough. On the flip side, I wonder if that metal cone will be difficult to clean.

Whatever you do, don't dump the grounds down the sink, unless of course, you don't mind paying the plumber.

Doc

Did a trial run with the Kone in the Chemex today, and I'd put it somewhere between the paper filters and a French press as far as the amount of dust/residue. Cleaner than a press but fuller bodied/thicker than a filtered pourover. I'm sure that messing with the grind can move it in either direction to some extent, I grind pretty fine but not espresso fine.

Cleanup is a cinch, just dump the grounds in the trash and rinse the Kone. Unless there starts to be buildup/discoloration or something over time it's about as easy as it gets.

At some point it just becomes fine tuning what is already on the high end of excellent compared to what is readily available and what people settle for in a cup of coffee. Fun to play with. And even if it were the biggest coffee nerd in town giving me the side-eye on the quality, I'd be well within the realm of proper behavior to backhand them.

Thanks for the update. I found the Kone on Amazon. In my wish list for now.

Thanks for the update. I found the Kone on Amazon. In my wish list for now.

I got one of the "Used-Good Condition" Kones for $40 vs. $60 that were available. Shipped from Able and as far as I can tell the only thing about the condition is it was repackaged/no original box.

1 cup plus to 8 cups water... A trick I learned from flying is to add a scoop or two of instant coffee to the pot before brewing. Nescafe Red Mug or Gold usually. Sacrilege I know but my wife the coffee Nazi uses my method now.

Flame away.

1 cup plus to 8 cups water... A trick I learned from flying is to add a scoop or two of instant coffee to the pot before brewing. Nescafe Red Mug or Gold usually. Sacrilege I know but my wife the coffee Nazi uses my method now.

Flame away.
I've never heard of that. I'll try most things once. What the hell do I have to lose.