• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sinus cold

Rconectn

King of Scotland
I've had it since Sat. and now it's friday, I haven't smoked a single cigar! I think I'm going crazy! It's not helping either that I spend my time reading about cigars here..... I'm tired of not being able to breath, I just want to enjoy a cigar!

NP, send me your cigars and I will enjoy them for you... :whistling:

Sudafed and long hot, steamy showers.
If you have a Korean restaurant where you are at, get some spicy soup there, soon doo boo chigae(spicy tofu)
That'll blast out your sinuses.

-Rob

Take 5 ginger pills, 4-5 times a day. For me, it blows Sudafed out of the water.

Sorry to hear the news bro. I've been fighting a cold for about 5 days but was able to get in a cigar on day two at a local herf. My throat was raw and I ended up only smoking about half because cough drops were a constant friend that night (and not a good companion for a Hemingway). So I sympathize. One good thing though, at least you were smart enough to hold off until better instead of wasting a perfectly good cigar :blush: .

Hope you have a speedy recovery (and you too Norcal!!).

Julie

I feel your pain!

I've been nursing a throat infection since NOVEMBER 1. I've snuck a few smokes in, but always regretted it. It seemed to clear up just in time for our Vegas trip last weekend, smoked a couple of sticks, then came home with a sinus infection!

I haven't even cracked open the Don Pepin Lanceros box yet!

I've been struck by the same bug. Mostly just a headcold, nothing really bad, just annoying as hell! Tomorrow goes on a week since I've had a smoke. Maybe tomorrow'll bring better news! :) I'm going to go flush my system out with some beer. LOL...nothing can hold back a college kid from having fun on Fridays! Have fun guys! smoke one for me!

I'm right there with ya. It seems every season I get hit with a cold or two and a sinus infection. For the former, a decongestant and antihistamine combo to keep things in check until it blows over. Of course I could smoke then but the medications renders me unable to taste or smell the cigars. For the latter, usually antibiotics.

My head decided to throw me a curve this season. I went to the doc's for what I thought was an ear infection. Turned out I had a dysfunctional eustachian tube. No infection but the tube that drains the middle ear was pinched shut from a cold and sinus attack. A week and a half of guanafenisin (sp?) and decongestant fixed me right up.

Wilkey

Babies!!! :laugh:

Zicam, available from most large stores. It's homeopathic. Comes either in a nasal gel or swabs.

Sorts out colds, sinuses, coughing, congestion, very fast!

No, I have nothing to do with the company but I do own a natural remedy company and I don't take drugs unless I'm told, "take them or die".
The irony is that most drugs are made up of natural products. ???

Brian

Babies!!! :laugh:

Zicam, available from most large stores. It's homeopathic. Comes either in a nasal gel or swabs.

Sorts out colds, sinuses, coughing, congestion, very fast!

No, I have nothing to do with the company but I do own a natural remedy company and I don't take drugs unless I'm told, "take them or die".
The irony is that most drugs are made up of natural products. ???

Brian

Brian, I am TOTALLY with you on this one. I don't even like to take a Tylenol. There is pretty much a natural alternative to everything.

If you want sure relief, I'm not Dr. or authority, but:

Oxymetazoline hydrochloride (generic to Afrin). 2 squirts in each nostril with a deep inhale (will taste horrible when it hits the back of your throat/mouth).
Long acting 120 mg pseudoephedrine (12 hour).
Loratadine 10 mg (Generic for Claritin).

My sinuses are my weakest part and I always get multiple sinus infections every year. This really ticks me off too because I try so hard to stay healthy and eat right etc... but I always get hit. I also hate to take drugs unless I really need to. This year I began to do sinus irrigation. It uses saline solution that you mix in a bottle and then you stand over a sink and squeeze the bottle in one nostril and the fluid eventually comes out the other nostril. Much more fluid then a saline nasal spray. Well it is the middle of January and nothing yet in the form of an infection. Hopefully this will help me get through this season without any problems. It sounds really gross but it's not like I would do it in front of anyone anyway. Here is a link I found for the product and I am obviously not affiliated with this company in any way blah blah blah...

Linky

Pretty cheap and came with a ton of saline packets that still haven't run out in months.

My sinuses are my weakest part and I always get multiple sinus infections every year. This really ticks me off too because I try so hard to stay healthy and eat right etc... but I always get hit. I also hate to take drugs unless I really need to. This year I began to do sinus irrigation. It uses saline solution that you mix in a bottle and then you stand over a sink and squeeze the bottle in one nostril and the fluid eventually comes out the other nostril. Much more fluid then a saline nasal spray. Well it is the middle of January and nothing yet in the form of an infection. Hopefully this will help me get through this season without any problems. It sounds really gross but it's not like I would do it in front of anyone anyway. Here is a link I found for the product and I am obviously not affiliated with this company in any way blah blah blah...

Linky

Pretty cheap and came with a ton of saline packets that still haven't run out in months.
I've been thinking about this as well. Seems like time to give it a try.

Wilkey

Linky

I've been thinking about this as well. Seems like time to give it a try.

Wilkey

The first time you use it it can be a little tricky but after that it takes me all of 1min. You can obviously adjust the concentration for hypo or hypertonic solution each time to accomplish different things ie hydrating the dry irritated tissues or drying them out from congestion.

The first time you use it it can be a little tricky but after that it takes me all of 1min. You can obviously adjust the concentration for hypo or hypertonic solution each time to accomplish different things ie hydrating the dry irritated tissues or drying them out from congestion.
Hypo to dry out and hyper to hydrate?

Wilkey

Y'all may think this crazy but it works, costs almost nothing, and it DOES NOT hurt: Fill an 8 oz water glass(I use a plastic one as it gets slippery) with hot, tap water, mix in about a teaspoon of table salt, pour into your cupped hand, tilt head back, suck the solution into one nostril, let it run down the nasal passage, spit. Continue this, alternating nostrils and you will clean/clear most if not all the crud that been resting in them and on the back of your throat. I also take a mouthful and gargle with it.

Dan

Hypo to dry out and hyper to hydrate?

Wilkey

A hyper solution will pull fluid out of the tissues to relieve congestion and swollen membranes because the solute/salt concentration is higher so the water will leave the tissues to balance it out. Similar to sprinkling salt on a slice of tomato for instance. The tomato releases its water to create some osmotic balance. A hypo solution will enter the tissues to relieve dryness in the opposite manner. An isotonic solution does neither. The box says to add one packet for hypo and three for hyper.

Is it mainly a preventative thing, or does it help once you are in the throws of an infection?

At this point I'll try anything...